996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Explain corner balancing and why I should do it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Ruiner is right. Corner balance first then get a 4 wheel alignmet. I think the factory spec 0 camber up front. I am running almst the exact specs ruiner is and the car feels great. The more negative camber you run the quicker your turn in and the sharper the steering will feel. It will however wear out the tires faster. Buddy, with the power you are making you should definatley corner balance your car and put what I call and aggressive street alignment on the car. This would be -.7-1.25 front and -1 to -1.75 rear. Ruiner and my specs are good for performance street setup WITH decent tire wear also. You can go much more aggressive but you will wear out your tires. One of the biggest things I noticed after I did mine was that the car felt like a whole unit working together not one direction turning better than others etc. It also is supposed to aid in breaking because the loads on the tires trying to stop the vehicle are much more even side to side. For the money you have already spent this last little bit is a SHOULD do! I know you will so let us know.
Later.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Thanks sounds like a no brainer!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
silver, I agree with you 100%. I will say this, a -0.6 or so camber up front and a 1' forward rake makes for great steering response while still only giving minimal tire wear.

buddy, along with the corner balance, you can get them to give you some forward rake. I went with 1' forward rake. It benefits braking and really increases steering response; especially at high speeds.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Buddy
This is like an engine, if you do things in steps rather than all at once, you will never get a perfect setup. On a scale of 1 to 10 to get fast laps and if you enjoy track driving, the engine would be a 5 the suspension and brakes maybe a 7 and driving skills a 10.

You simply cannot have a fast running car with your HP unless you do a serious suspension upgrade and do corner balance , alignment (Toe, camber, caster), height adj. , setup the sway bars correctly etc.. AT ONCE. Whatever you are driving now will feel like crap once you have that done. Go to the best in your area, no compromises, just like you would do for your engine.

Anything less than -2.0 front camber is a compromise. At those levels you can still drive it perfectly well on the street, ease up on the toe a little if it is too sharp or tramlines while driving on the street. Front and rear must be the same at least, if you are serious about Club or fun racing and DE's you will need more front camber than rear.

If you set the fastet lap time the other day without this being done, you must be one heck of a good driver. HP means very little on the track. I have seen Mini Coopers pass by me on the 'Ring 3 weeks ago with 400 hp less.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Jean,

I am a good driver but one of the reasons I set Fastest time of the day was because the track was wet and none of the full out race cars could get around the track while my all wheel drive helped tremendously, as well as PSM and ABS!

Anyhow I have KW v3 coilover suspension and H & R swaybars so I need to find out who in town can setup the suspension and corner balance the car for me. I only do maybe 2 track events a year so nothing too extreme.