996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC ECU questions / GT2 vs Renntech SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
GIAC ECU questions / GT2 vs Renntech SL65

Hey guys,

I was curious if the standard GIAC flash program is good for various minor mods such as EVO intake and Europipe exhaust performed in steps?

I was considering getting the computer re-flashed first and then add the exhaust and intake separately at later dates in the future. Will the revised mapping readjust to accomodate the increased flow from these other products? Is there a separate program as a stand alone for a dead stock car and a different one for the intake and exhaust mods? Which flash program is optimum for both scenarios?

What has prompted the thought of mods is a friend with a SL65 w/ Renntech ECU wants to race from a 60 MPH roll. According to Renntech, the ECU change increase hp to 670 and torque to 840 lb ft.

Will his car easily beat my stock 2002 GT2 in a straight line? Those hp and torque figures are monstrous. Will the above mods turn the tables on him? How close of a race will it be and up to what speeds?

Thanks.

George

Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
His car will definately be faster than your stock GT2. Even though the SL65 is a pig (heavy) with that much power and torque especially once it is rolling on the freeway at 60 mph you won't stand a chance. Not sure if you can hang with him even after you go Stage 2. This seems more like a case for a stage 4 or better car to handle.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Re: GIAC ECU questions / GT2 vs Renntech SL65

Originally posted by GeorgeJ
Hey guys,

I was curious if the standard GIAC flash program is good for various minor mods such as EVO intake and Europipe exhaust performed in steps?

I was considering getting the computer re-flashed first and then add the exhaust and intake separately at later dates in the future. Will the revised mapping readjust to accomodate the increased flow from these other products? Is there a separate program as a stand alone for a dead stock car and a different one for the intake and exhaust mods? Which flash program is optimum for both scenarios?

What has prompted the thought of mods is a friend with a SL65 w/ Renntech ECU wants to race from a 60 MPH roll. According to Renntech, the ECU change increase hp to 670 and torque to 840 lb ft.

Will his car easily beat my stock 2002 GT2 in a straight line? Those hp and torque figures are monstrous. Will the above mods turn the tables on him? How close of a race will it be and up to what speeds?

Thanks.

George
Hey man i love GT2's, but sorry to say with your above mods you will get a nice gain, but nowhere near pulling on an SL65 or even being near it on a highway pull.. I would think you at least need a stage 4-5 upgrade for it to be a good race, those bi-turbo v12's are no joke, its the torque that will have him pull instantly on you from a roll. Sick car though, i love GT2's so damm much

Old 08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Renntech SL65 will be much faster than a flashed "chipped" GT2, especially on a highway roll. A couple laps on a track, the tables will turn quickly no matter how much power he has.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I saw an SL65 tested in Car and Driver recently trapping 122 mph in the quarter mile I believe. Is this much higher than the GT2?

Also, how much faster could the Renntech ECU upgrade make the car? Does anyone know of someone with a S/SL/CL65 car with the ECU upgrade and how much of a difference did it make in the real world? 840 pounds of torque sounds insurmountable to overcome.

I think he said he trapped 121 OR 122 mph at Sacramento Raceway. However, I don't know if this was stock or chipped.

I have never been in his SL65, but I have been in his SL55 and it did not feel nearly as fast as the GT2.

More importantly, anyone have any feedback in regards to my ECU question?

Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by buddyg
His car will definately be faster than your stock GT2. Even though the SL65 is a pig (heavy) with that much power and torque especially once it is rolling on the freeway at 60 mph you won't stand a chance. Not sure if you can hang with him even after you go Stage 2. This seems more like a case for a stage 4 or better car to handle.
I am confused about the stages on a GT2 with the factory K24s.

Is a stage 1 the reflash alone or is it a stage 2? What stage is the ECU flash, intake, exhaust and DVs? Shouldn't these parts bring me up to about 600 hp? Is this not sufficient to take on a chipped SL65?

Has anyone raced a stock or chipped Mercedes 65 car?

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 PM
john revis is infamous around these parts
I had a CL55 with Renntech pulley and ecu upgrade. I was very unimpressed with the change, and there is no doubt in my mind that my GT2 would dust it. That said, I understand that the CL65 is a monster compared to my former 55. Keep us posted.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I saw an SL65 tested in Car and Driver recently trapping 122 mph in the quarter mile I believe. Is this much higher than the GT2?

Also, how much faster could the Renntech ECU upgrade make the car? Does anyone know of someone with a S/SL/CL65 car with the ECU upgrade and how much of a difference did it make in the real world? 840 pounds of torque sounds insurmountable to overcome.

I think he said he trapped 121 OR 122 mph at Sacramento Raceway. However, I don't know if this was stock or chipped.

I have never been in his SL65, but I have been in his SL55 and it did not feel nearly as fast as the GT2.

More importantly, anyone have any feedback in regards to my ECU question?

Thanks again.
Hey man, a stock GT2 can trap anywhere from 116mph to about a 120 on slicks, 116 should be around a 12.3 1/4 mile time.

SL65's have been known to hit high 11's at 121-123 stock, there are many videos and so on going around. But you have to remember, that is from a dead stop. Against a GT2, the SL65 is pulling that almost everytime, MB has amazing tractionc ontrol devices which modulates the power by itself due to spinning and doesnt bog the engine or car down, its very hard to beat those damm cars off the line, especially in a RWD GT2 with an inexperienced driver (Not you) just saying in general.

Now let's take the 2 on a highway where trap speeds mean absolutely nothing pretty much, the SL65 ha sso much damm power plus a good auto tranny, it will be very hard to beat even with a stage 4 GT2 IMO, yes the SL65 is heavy, but yes it also has an insane amount of power with a pull i have never felt in any other car

Last edited by iLLM3; 08-24-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I am confused about the stages on a GT2 with the factory K24s.

Is a stage 1 the reflash alone or is it a stage 2? What stage is the ECU flash, intake, exhaust and DVs? Shouldn't these parts bring me up to about 600 hp? Is this not sufficient to take on a chipped SL65?

Has anyone raced a stock or chipped Mercedes 65 car?

Thanks.
Here check out Evolution Motorsports, they tell you what's included in the different Stage 1+ packages. What you just mentioned would be a stage 2, and people have gotten anywehre from 520-550 hp

http://www.evoms.com/p996tt%20tuning%20home.htm

Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Actually this page is GT2 specific:

http://www.evoms.com/p996tt%20GT2%20tuning%20home.htm

Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
LOL thanks buddy, totally forgot he had a GT2

Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Cant say for the SL65 but I have raced my bro's CL65 with my stock GT2 from 40,50 and 60mph and we were dead even until we had to slow down, yes if it went past 140mph he would have lost his power to his engine cutting out at 155 and my GT2 going to whatever top speed it will go to the fastest I have had her was 170mph.
Still have to see what will happen now that I have my Fabspeed Sport and if their claim of 30hp is true I should pass him at lease a little bit. Dont forget that a GT2 needs a good driver to shift correctly and all he has to do is keep his left planted firmly down and let the auto do its magic. Nonetheless the AMG's are phenomenal powerhouses but its not for me I luv my GT2 and its raw power .

BBGT2

Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
And BTW his CL65 is stock (for now) I plan on getting him hooked up again with Renntech for the mod, had it done for him when he had the SL600 and was very impressed with their (Renntech) capabilities, I guess it helps when you start this little company knows as AMG and the sell it to MBZ. Oh the sweet art of taking great things and making them GREATER !
BBGT2

Old 08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by BBGT2
Cant say for the SL65 but I have raced my bro's CL65 with my stock GT2 from 40,50 and 60mph and we were dead even until we had to slow down, yes if it went past 140mph he would have lost his power to his engine cutting out at 155 and my GT2 going to whatever top speed it will go to the fastest I have had her was 170mph.
Still have to see what will happen now that I have my Fabspeed Sport and if their claim of 30hp is true I should pass him at lease a little bit. Dont forget that a GT2 needs a good driver to shift correctly and all he has to do is keep his left planted firmly down and let the auto do its magic. Nonetheless the AMG's are phenomenal powerhouses but its not for me I luv my GT2 and its raw power .

BBGT2
No question the GT2 is a far superior car! Just get that fat pig Merc on the track against the GT2 stock or otherwise and you will kick his behind!

Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BBGT2

BBGT2
That sounds promising. Is the gearing and weight similar between the SL and CL?

However, my buddy's car has the Renntech chip, so I am assuming he is going trash me from a roll. I know he has raced numerous modded Z06s and SVT Cobras and have blown them out of the hole.

Maybe I should challenge him around Sears Point or Thunder Hill during a HPDE event?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC ECU questions / GT2 vs Renntech SL65