996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Making use of rear O2 sensor bungs for AFR gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Making use of rear O2 sensor bungs for AFR gauge

I'm running cat delete pipes with the secondary o2 bungs extended to eliminate CELs. I want to hook up wideband sensors to these bungs for AFR gauges but I don't know if there's away to just remove the factory o2 sensors without causing problems. Since they aren't doing anything I'm not sure why I need them mounted in the pipe. I don't want to deal with having another pair of bungs welded in if I can avoid it.
Does anyone here know if this is doable?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,
the extended bungs cannot be used as they put the O2 sensors out of the stream - that's why you don't get CELs. The error messages for after cat O2 sensors can be disabled in the tune and most likely are alredy, so you can have your own sensors there, but they have to be positioned like OEM and not extended.

Andreas

Old 12-08-2013, 04:25 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
use the oem o2 sensor with a interface for monitoring AFR

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
I been researching this myself and there really isn't a definitive answer to it.
I was thinking of the new AEM multi-gauge with logging and running two wideband sensors. Right now I am just using durametric, just hate not being able to see it as my other builds.

Originally Posted by winnigt2
use the oem o2 sensor with a interface for monitoring AFR
Any specific interfaces you recommend? Or can the factory rear o2 sensors work with an aftermarket A/F gauge?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
I been researching this myself and there really isn't a definitive answer to it.
I was thinking of the new AEM multi-gauge with logging and running two wideband sensors. Right now I am just using durametric, just hate not being able to see it as my other builds.

Any specific interfaces you recommend? Or can the factory rear o2 sensors work with an aftermarket A/F gauge?
you can use your iphone with a bluetooth interface

you need a afr gauge? why dont use your onboards o2 Sensors via OBD like your DME does?

Last edited by winnigt2; 12-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT996
Hi,
the extended bungs cannot be used as they put the O2 sensors out of the stream - that's why you don't get CELs. The error messages for after cat O2 sensors can be disabled in the tune and most likely are alredy, so you can have your own sensors there, but they have to be positioned like OEM and not extended.

Andreas
I know; I was asking about using the sensors that come with the gauge in the secondary bungs without the extenders. I am using PLX gauges and the AFR modules come with their own wideband O2 sensors. I just want to know if I can safely put the factory sensors somewhere in the engine bay out of the way but still connected to the car if I want to use the bungs in the cat delete pipe for the O2 sensors that come with the gauge.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, I see. I would ask the tuner if he has disabled the after cat O2 monitors and if so, I would just unplug the oem sensor and take them out.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
Brockway DGauge
These are no longer being made and trying to find one for sale is hard enough as it is.

Originally Posted by mrmaass
I know; I was asking about using the sensors that come with the gauge in the secondary bungs without the extenders. I am using PLX gauges and the AFR modules come with their own wideband O2 sensors. I just want to know if I can safely put the factory sensors somewhere in the engine bay out of the way but still connected to the car if I want to use the bungs in the cat delete pipe for the O2 sensors that come with the gauge.
This is exactly what I was thinking also. The other idea was just to weld bungs right after the secondary bungs. PLX is good stuff also. What setup are you using from PLX?

Last edited by 02black330ci; 12-08-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
These are no longer being made and trying to find one for sale is hard enough as it is.

This is exactly what I was thinking also. The other idea was just to weld bungs right after the secondary bungs. PLX is good stuff also. What setup are you using from PLX?
Right now just the PLX-100 ODB with no additional modules. It is pretty nice as a standalone just watching ODB 2 parameters but I really want to add a boost module and a pair of AFR modules. That is where this gauge shines in my opinion.
I was considering having additional bungs welded in also but I figured why waste the ones that are basically sitting idle right now if I can make use of them.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I talked to my tuner and he said the rear sensors are still set up to function as stock other than having the cat efficiency codes turned off. I thought that was all they were for.
They asked me to unplug a sensor and send them any codes that come up as a result. I unplugged both rear sensors and nothing changed...no codes and the car ran fine. I have a feeling a code will come up eventually but if they really don't affect the way the car runs at all that is a good sign.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I talked to my tuner and he said the rear sensors are still set up to function as stock other than having the cat efficiency codes turned off. I thought that was all they were for.
Yes, that's all they are there for: checking if the cats are doing their job. Only the pre cat O2 sensors are affecting the cars performance. The ECU is monitoring and adjusting fueling with them.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Right now just the PLX-100 ODB with no additional modules. It is pretty nice as a standalone just watching ODB 2 parameters but I really want to add a boost module and a pair of AFR modules. That is where this gauge shines in my opinion. I was considering having additional bungs welded in also but I figured why waste the ones that are basically sitting idle right now if I can make use of them.
Thats a nice multigauge.

They asked me to unplug a sensor and send them any codes that come up as a result. I unplugged both rear sensors and nothing changed...no codes and the car ran fine. I have a feeling a code will come up eventually but if they really don't affect the way the car runs at all that is a good sign.
Nice, keep us posted.