996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Searching for STOCK BLOCK potential for the 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 AM
iSeeMax is infamous around these parts
Searching for STOCK BLOCK potential for the 996 tt

Let me start off with stating that I did try the search button. Im pretty sure the question was covered so apologies if this is staining someones eyes with the repost.

Im searching the potential of the stock 996 turbo block. ALso wondering what upgrades most people are using to reach the STOCK motors potential (Turbo upgrades, Brand, boost controllers etc.) Also Wondering what clutch is preferred at that HP as well as what necessary suspension/trans upgrades have been done to accommodate the limits (if any at all). External waste gates recommended?

Sorry if the questions seem noobish, I'm coming from turbo 350z experience.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by iSeeMax; 12-18-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
tons of stock motor threads here.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Block isn't the limitation, rods are...

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Block isn't the limitation, rods are...
now i understand why i was having a hard time finding my answers. Since its not the block, whats happening with the rods under boost? I had a boosted honda years back and the rod bolts would stretch so was forced to use ARP.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM
420a-t is infamous around these parts
I had the same question a while ago. I've found anywhere from 600whp-750whp to be the max I see people push them with the stock motor. There's people who make more than that, but so far that's what I've seen

Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yep...600-700whp seems to be the limit, then rods fatigue and bend slightly...probably never notice it....until they finally fail. It's really about TQ and how hard it hits down low....Good tuners try to minimize the big TQ hit down low. That's a rod saver. Most people who don't want to do a "monster" build, just do rods, head studs and gaskets and newer lifters. With those mods you can reasonably get to 1000whp, with the proper mods. TONS of info regarding what you need to make what HP..just keep searching..been beat to death here...

Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
or go down the new path some (ME!) are trying. PROEFI can handle what the dme cant and give you power without hurting the internals. its not cheap but its making power were power wasnt before without full internal build

Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM
While I understand there are great strides in the aftermarket ECU's, installing one will not add tensile strength to your stock rods...cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure...

Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
While I understand there are great strides in the aftermarket ECU's, installing one will not add tensile strength to your stock rods...cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure...
ability to control torque will however help the oem rods. the ability to run flex fuel will also run cooler fuel and help as well. switzer has seen close to 900 hp on stock rods with the proefi. while im not going near that # my goals should be safely attainable

i spoke with 4 different high end tuner/engine builders and each one had the same thing to say. if you cant afford to do engine management AND internals at the same time the engine management is what they would choose first. these engines can handle a lot of power if properly managed

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Interesting....haven't had a stand alone since the AEM in my Supra, and the F.A.S.T. in my Camaro in the 90's...can't wait to see more results...

Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned
Interesting....haven't had a stand alone since the AEM in my Supra, and the F.A.S.T. in my Camaro in the 90's...can't wait to see more results...
whats truly interesting was 2 of the builder/tuner that i spoke to sell the proefi yet neither tried to hard sell me on it. they were completely open and offered ideas, opinions freely. seeing some of the 1000+ rwhp builds they had and seeing layinbacks build, prodigy, 2swoosh and talking to tim941nyc it was an easy decision for me.

the complete kit with every imaginal sensor, internal datalogger 4" lcd screen cost about the same as the labor of an internal build. the cost of custom tuning,flight for the tuner and expenses was about the same as a set of rods and headbolts

Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
I spoke with Jason over at PROefi and he was very helpful and answered a bunch of questions and concerns I had. Then pointed me in the direction of SSR Motorsports out here near me in LA and I'm waiting for a email from Eian with all of my pricing.

Q: @32krazy!
How much did you spend for your kit and install… They said they had some specials going on right now with the kit so I'm wondering how "Special" the pricing I would be getting.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
What are your power goals? Whats your budget more importantly?

These two answers will tell you what you need and most importantly IF you can do it.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
whats truly interesting was 2 of the builder/tuner that i spoke to sell the proefi yet neither tried to hard sell me on it. they were completely open and offered ideas, opinions freely. seeing some of the 1000+ rwhp builds they had and seeing layinbacks build, prodigy, 2swoosh and talking to tim941nyc it was an easy decision for me.

the complete kit with every imaginal sensor, internal datalogger 4" lcd screen cost about the same as the labor of an internal build. the cost of custom tuning,flight for the tuner and expenses was about the same as a set of rods and headbolts

I would not do a stand alone that costs over $15k, $10k..or even $5k. All things being equal...for the "same" money, I think I would opt for the built motor. Just my .02. I'll keep watching these ProEfi builds and learning...

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
What are your power goals? Whats your budget more importantly?

These two answers will tell you what you need and most importantly IF you can do it.

After the purchase of the car I have another $20k I'm willing to play around with.

--I will also be doing the 997.2 headlight conversion (fenders/bumper) as well as swapping in the 997 side air intake vents so trying to have a little cash in consideration for that as well. Conversion kit is being sponsored so that won't cost me a cent, Dynamic headlights on ebay are $2k, Paint and install should run me $1400 for all the work including the side vents cut and flush mounted. Still need to find a techart kit (prefer used or a damn good replica) but if I have to I will wait on the kit seeing as how I will need a new clutch to handle the power

Power Goals…. 700-800 reliable whp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Searching for STOCK BLOCK potential for the 996 tt