996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Competition TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned
TrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to behold
Added a video to post #3.

Originally Posted by Etchhead
With those K24s you could easily get more power with an 18G upgrade- would that put you over the 5.5 threshold! Love that wing and will look back at post 2 to see the make, if not there please advise.
The wing is getty design. I thought about adding power, but I don't want to make the car more traction limited or add any lag. I think I will see bigger gains by going with 100 less lbs than I've ever run.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TrackHeavyTT
Added a video to post #3.
Nice just viewed it and also your other vids! Whats the nice gadget you have mounted by your center air vents?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned
TrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
Nice just viewed it and also your other vids! Whats the nice gadget you have mounted by your center air vents?

That is a traqmate data system with touchscreen traqdash display. I have had mounted it better since, but at first I had it on behind the wheel and it was blocking my view of any warning lights that may come on so I decided to move it.

For data systems it's one of the most user friendly for a beginner there is. If you want to become the best driver you can be, data is certainly the best way to get there.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Dez,

Great info.

Done most of the same mods. How much prep work needed to be done on the Getty deck lid and wing to get the fitment right? I was thinking about getting the CF deck lid and wing instead of going prep and paint work route. Looking for good fitment (not perfect) as the car is not a garage queen.

What spring rates are you using?

TIA

Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Very cool! Any chance of running SCCA as well and getting a chance to be in the Runoffs at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2014? Would love to know what it would lap at MRLS!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Dez,

Great info.

Done most of the same mods. How much prep work needed to be done on the Getty deck lid and wing to get the fitment right? I was thinking about getting the CF deck lid and wing instead of going prep and paint work route. Looking for good fitment (not perfect) as the car is not a garage queen.

What spring rates are you using?

TIA
The Getty decklid fits very well. It's not Porsche perfect, but there aren't any big gaps or anything. I have had an issue lining it up to where it unlatches when I pull the release. It's weird but I haven't put much thought into it to be honest.

Spring rates are 700/900, do not like though.

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Very cool! Any chance of running SCCA as well and getting a chance to be in the Runoffs at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2014? Would love to know what it would lap at MRLS!
Not likely. I should make it to California but not for SCCA. And as you know there aren't many weekends where a straight pipe Turbo will pass sound at Laguna.

The car is not completely race legal yet either, needs fire suppression and cutoff switch. Not sure I want to race it at this power level anyways, fields are not very big and the competition level is not very consistent. Would be willing to detune it and run NASA ST2 (8.0:1 weight to power)

I'd love to run Laguna, but I hear Sonoma is one of the best tracks as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TrackHeavyTT
The Getty decklid fits very well. It's not Porsche perfect, but there aren't any big gaps or anything. I have had an issue lining it up to where it unlatches when I pull the release. It's weird but I haven't put much thought into it to be honest.

Spring rates are 700/900, do not like though.

And as you know there aren't many weekends where a straight pipe Turbo will pass sound at Laguna.
Good to know about the deck lid. Aero is on the list towards the end of next year.

The spring rates seem a little firm for a 2800 lbs car. Or is it the valving?

There is an event on June 28th and 29th with a 105dB sound limit at Laguna Seca.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned
Good to know about the deck lid. Aero is on the list towards the end of next year.

There is an event on June 28th and 29th with a 105dB sound limit at Laguna Seca.
Once I get in the car it's over 3000lbs.

Actually these are fairly light spring rates compared to what a lot of guys run. My ride height is low, almost cup car low, at those heights you have to run fairly stiff or you bottom out and scrape all of the time.

July-Nov is too long to leave my car and I'm not the type to make two trips to Cali from Ga. within a few months.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
what do you mean by "shaving the carpet" ? are nyou removing all the foam from the underside? if so does it still keep its shape once reinstalled and how much weight did it lose?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
oMenRC51 is infamous around these parts
subscribed

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
what do you mean by "shaving the carpet" ? are nyou removing all the foam from the underside? if so does it still keep its shape once reinstalled and how much weight did it lose?

Yes, exactly. You can take the carpet out, and shave (or slowly pull) the foam off of the bottom of it. If you do all of it and remove the rear shelf carpet cover it's like 25 lbs.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
For strictly a track car 700/900 is fairly benign. 996Cups are in the 1300/1400 range. I am running 700/800 on JRZs and it feels a pretty soft at 3200lbs and 102/125 rideheight. Swapping over to 900/1000 so I can still use the car on the street from time to time.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-30-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM
San Diego 996tt is infamous around these parts
Great to see that you are using yours for track work. Have you had to do any transmission repairs? If not, I am impressed that you have gotten that much track time on a 996 turbo without some expensive engine/transmission work.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned
Yes, broke 3rd gear 3 times since 2010. 3rd gear is the weak leak in this gearbox, even for cups. Add a lot of torque and a lot of grip and it tends to go south. I'm not the only one either, Tom Kerr used to eat 3rd in his Turbo Race car, and another forum member broke his too. I have a straight cut 3rd gear only now which is said to be more reliable.

The gearbox is awesome about keeping the pieces out of the other gears. No other gears were damaged.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by San Diego 996tt
Great to see that you are using yours for track work. Have you had to do any transmission repairs? If not, I am impressed that you have gotten that much track time on a 996 turbo without some expensive engine/transmission work.
Transmission coolers really help prolong the life of these gearboxes. Heat kills these boxes as the synchros begin to swell at high temps. You also have some plastic components present which don't do well at high temps. Even with an LSD adding heat to the gearbox, with the cooler I get a max of just over 220F on the gearbox fluid on a 130F track day at the end of a 30min session. I have over 70 track hours on my box with just one 2nd gear synchro replacement. Spending money on cooling is money well spent in the long run..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.