996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are Beck 550 spiders any fun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Are Beck 550 spiders any fun

Got an itch today after seeing a post about one and almost ordered one sight unseen and without so much a test drive. Damn, I am compulsive as yesterday a 550 was furthest thing from my mind.

155 hp with 5.2 0 - 62. Looks like it would be kind of fun and it is dirt cheap.

http://www.spyder550.com/863.html

Like the blue silver color. Maybe add the little Bastard numerals and a few other items if still possible.

What do you think? Waste of money or fun. I think my 8 and 9 year old daughter would get a kick out of riding in this car.

Are they reliable or easy to work on. I have done a rebuild on a 911 motor, restored an 81 SC, and built a track 951 pretty much on my own back when I was poor, in school, and used to have spare time so I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Looks like this would be easy to work on if necessary.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
The Beck has very good fit and finish and they hold their value well. Go for it!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
James used to have one and they're awesome!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Man, I just found the spyderclub.com board and think I am going to do it.

About two years ago, I took my youngest, then 6 year old, daughter by plane to pick up and drive back a 911 from outside Philadelphia. They had a 550 replica with the numbers on it and my daughter was in love with that car. Hopefully, I will have one by the weekend. I found one in Georgia.

Are these things tough enough to drive that far or am I asking for trouble.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Doug, that's the funniest thing!...I did the same thing today, no kidding...found the Spyderclub.com site and a couple other boards and emailed a few people about Becks they had for sale. I was going to post in OT a couple hrs ago to see if anyone had any experience with them.

While at an HSR race last year in LV, we met a guy pitted next to us, racing a Beck Spyder with a 1.8T (turbocharged), and the thing was just so cool.

Then, while at German Autofest last year, my wife and I sat in 3 different packages offered and each was great in its own way.

From what I saw online today, the used ones go for nearly the same price as new ones, so I'm not seeing where it's an advantage to buy used. It looks like a pretty simple car, so if/when I dive in, I think I'll get a roller and then have a motor built or build one with a friend. There's a link to a few builders on one of the sites. One guy builds 2.3l motors I think with lotso power. At least it's lots for such a light vehicle.

Seems like the perfect 'round-towner or coastal cruiser (provided no inclement weather).

I've been thinkin' about one of these for several months. I didn't look around on the Net 'til today. But....that was after I ruled out a Beck Lister...it's about $40-50k for a really good build-up. That car's a freaking screamer. I dig Listers, and going to the Monterey Historics a couple wks ago just stoked the fire. I just can't justify that much dough on another project car, especially one that's not versatile. Maybe later on a Lister. For now, the Spyder seems like the perfect mix of fun, style, economy and enjoyable "project" stuff.

Btw, I saw the TR RSK replica, and that looks pretty neat too, so maybe look that up while you're shopping.

Beck's out here in SoCal, and I'm going to try to meet up with him sometime in the next few weeks. If I do, I'll report back.

-D

Old 08-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
I just bought a Beck Spyder. Black over red with the 2165cc engine. It is a blast to drive. It handles amazing and once the engine is tuned properly it runs perfect (I have about 500KM on it). I would post pics but I can't seem to make them small enough.

Craig

Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
****. My wife saw this thread and now she is in love with the car. She wants one. I was going to get her a Boxster for XMAS but now she wants this.

Is this even close to being a daily driver? I would think not but I still pose the question.

T

Old 08-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by TUUNER
****. My wife saw this thread and now she is in love with the car. She wants one. I was going to get her a Boxster for XMAS but now she wants this.

Is this even close to being a daily driver? I would think not but I still pose the question.

T
NO WAY!!!! It only has a 10 gallon tank. With 2 weber 44 carbs it sucks down fuel like crazy. The ride is quality is great. I can't go anywhere with out people crowding around it and asking every question possible.

It is also rather hard to get in and out of gracefully. My wife has yet to master a graceful exit with out looking like a spaz.

Craig

Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Y65MPH
NO WAY!!!! It only has a 10 gallon tank. With 2 weber 44 carbs it sucks down fuel like crazy. The ride is quality is great. I can't go anywhere with out people crowding around it and asking every question possible.

It is also rather hard to get in and out of gracefully. My wife has yet to master a graceful exit with out looking like a spaz.

Craig
Y65MPH, you saved my ***! I will pass this on to my wife as a logical deterent to purchasing this car instead of the Boxster.

Having said that, it would be a ton of fun to drive around...for that price, why not!

T

Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Not to mention if it rains you're hosed, if it's cold you're hosed, and if you get hit by anything other than a bicycle...you're hosed!

Besides, a girl needs lots of shopping bag space, which this thing doesn't have and a Boxster pretty much does.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Super D
Not to mention if it rains you're hosed, if it's cold you're hosed, and if you get hit by anything other than a bicycle...you're hosed!

Besides, a girl needs lots of shopping bag space, which this thing doesn't have and a Boxster pretty much does.
A top and heat are available (I have neither). The storage in the front is equal to and maybe larger than a 996. So a shoppping spree in very much possible.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I've been eyeballing them for about a year now. As soon as I get this other office open, I'm pulling th trigger. I spoke to Beck's sales people, a fully loaded car wtih all the trimmings runs about $40,000.

$40k well spent in my book Time for a new "550 Speedster" section, Shank!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Originally posted by Y65MPH
A top and heat are available (I have neither). The storage in the front is equal to and maybe larger than a 996. So a shoppping spree in very much possible.
Oh.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
SuperD. buy one and let me borrow it

One of my best buddies is moving to SD in 2 weeks and Im going to go help him unpack so to speak... more like find the cool clubs.... we may need you 2 help

Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
To bad.. James sold his a few months ago for 14.5k and his was so sweet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are Beck 550 spiders any fun