996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sparco 6 pt harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 AM
PN-
PN- is infamous around these parts
Sparco 6 pt harness

Where can I get these ? links would be great. Which centrelock model do you guys recommend ? I believe scroth harness that Gert sells is not FIA compliant ?

Thanks,

PN

Old 11-07-2003, 06:16 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
I have the sabelt FIA (same as Michael S.). Try Northstar Motorsports.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:48 AM
PN-
Hani,

To make it into a six point belt, do I need the following :
SPARCO/SABELT 3" LAP BELTS - CAMLOCK RELEASE $115.00

SPARCO/SABELT 48" SHOULDER HARNESS 3" NON-H STYLE $55.00 or SPARCO/SABELT 75" SHOULDER HARNESS 3" H-STYLE $65.00 ?

SPARCO DUAL ANTI-SUBMARINE BELT - Y STYLE MOUNT $30.00 or SPARCO DUAL ANTI-SUBMARINE BELT- BAR STYLE MOUNT $25.00 ?

Sorry for the questions, I thought they would just sell a six point as it is.

PN

Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Get the expensive one with the camlock release. I haven't installed them on the Pcar yet so someone else will have to give dimensions for shoulder length. The ansi-sub depends if you have a bar or not. I strongly recommend the bar. Gert has them.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:53 AM
PN-
Colorchange,

The expensive one is the only one with the camlock, which is a lap belt. Then I think I need the shoulder belth which is either the Non-H style or H style.

For the sub-belt, what bar is that ? Rollbar ? If it is, I have got them.

PN

Old 11-07-2003, 12:03 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The camlock release is the only way to go. You will only need short (vs. long) shoulder harnesses if you have a Tequipment rollbar. THe Antisubmarining strap attaches to a separately mounted brace (bar) under the seat. Here is a picture of it:

The Scroth harnesses (at least the ones I am aware of) are not FIA approved. I am not sure of the repercussion of this fact. I looked at the Scroth and, quite frankly, I really like some of its features, such as the smaller profile belt adjusters.

I went with the Sabelt FIA from Northstar upon Colorchange's suggection and I have been very happy dealing with them. I recommend you get "Pull downs" rather than "Pull-ups".

Here is a photo:

Old 11-07-2003, 12:30 PM
PN-
Ken,

I had a look in the Northstar motorsport's website. Is this the one I am suppose to be getting ?

Sparco 6-point,pull-down-lap,48"shoulders,red

Is this the pull down type like the one you mentioned ? From your picture it seems that you have a 5 point ? I have been told that the sub-belt has to be a 3 inch ? Is this correct ?

PN

Old 11-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Ken: Looks beaty!

PN, I have the 6-point as well. Ken has no *****.

Pull downs are the way to go. You get in, clip in, pull the laps tight, pull the shoulders tight and your gone. I don't use the pads but I think that is cosmetic/choice.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:34 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Ken,
A little off topic, but how do u like the roll cage?? I am guessing it is the Tequiptment?? I am wondering because my shop has a used one they just took out of a Turbo and he wants to sell it cheap...only thing is that it has crossmember and I am worried about rearview visibility... I am not worried about rear seat access as I will be removing them soon, but it really looks like it would be in the way...
Thanks,
Evan

Old 11-07-2003, 01:40 PM
PN-
visibility should be fine evan

Old 11-07-2003, 03:51 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
PN,
Your choice sounds right. I would speak with them on the phone prior to ordering. They appear to be very knowledgable. THe only other choice you will need to make is concerning the ends of the harnesses. THe shoulder straps and sub belt are a no brainer since they wrap around ether the rollbar or AS bracket under the seat. THe lap belt however will require a decision as to whether you go with quick release ends or regular ends.

Tim,
No *****, huh? Actually, I made a conscience decision about that. I have a true six point in my MINI and I really dont like the feel of the double straps on the inside of my thighs. It was a purely personal taste decision on this one. I am not going to race this car so the FIA conformance was strictly a bonus for me. I got the harness for my own personal safety as well as track events eventually. You are right about the pull-downs though.

Evan,
I like the rollbar (not to be confused with a rollcage). I debated on keeping it and going whole hog with the seats and harnesses or bagging it altogether and leaving the seats stock. You can obviously see my choice. The space in the back is still usable to a degree, although it requires patience to get stuff in and out. A few things you should know about the Tequipment rollbar. First, since it simply (there is a play on words since the install typically takes 4-5 hours!!) bolts to the seat belt mount, it is not acceptable for official use in various events. This is because the weight of the car (+ impact forces) must be supported in shear on essentially 2 bolts (the 2 front bolts, although depending on the nature of a rollover, the rear two will come into play as well.). A true rollbar will be welded in to strategic frame points to properly distibute the load. THe other thing is that it is a real PITA to get in. Truthfully, if you are simply looking to install harnesses and don't plan to use them all the time, the better solution would be to go with a harness bar such as that by Brey Krause. In that case, you would be able to remove it when you are not using the harnesses. Hope that helps. Here is the BK Harness bar: