996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Failed 90 db limit, badly, at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Failed 90 db limit, badly, at Laguna Seca

At the last PCA track day at Laguna Seca, I got black flagged several times for sound violations, up to 96 db. All this with a stock exhaust! I thought I'd be fine even with their 90db limit due to the sound attenuation of the turbos. The only power mods on the car are a EVOMS chip, 5 bar FPR, and diverter valves.

I don't know how to go quieter than stock, and lifting past the sound station is a bummer. Any ideas?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I think up shift and up lift is ur best bet

Getting exhaust extension pipes pointing to left is the other option

Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Wow, that's horrible! I don't even go to tracks with strict sound limits. My advice is go to another track. Changing exhausts and stuff is for the birds.

There are baffles you can buy though. I think about $100 each that will reduce sound further. They sell them at atlanta Motorsports park.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Another track? No way, Seca is the best!

As dj stated above, key is to make extensions pointing away from the db meter. Up shift and if they still complain lift. It does the trick as I have a full 3 inch "X" exhaust with no cats.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
unterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really nice
This is not pretty, but it works. Have had similar issues at Laguna myself. You can get everything you need at Summit racing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00753-20131114-1056.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	330599  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i never figured a stock 996 for a 'loud' car ! sounds like their limits are totally unrealistic, i wonder what other stock cars are failing

Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ms4cd
Another track? No way, Seca is the best!

As dj stated above, key is to make extensions pointing away from the db meter. Up shift and if they still complain lift. It does the trick as I have a full 3 inch "X" exhaust with no cats.
Maybe I'm spoiled by having a lot of great tracks within a few hrs.

Road Atlanta 20 min
VIR 5 hrs
Barber 2.5 hrs

I wouldn't bother with a track that was that much trouble to run.

I hear Sonoma is better anyways. Hoping to see for myself this fall.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Yeah lift or do the side-out tips. Something still sounds off though. We run stock there to avoid the "little shed" with the mic. Is it possible the cats are gutted?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
The only easy solution is to lift. Otherwise, the posts above about using extensions to point the tips away from the meter is really your only option short of cutting your mufflers open and adding more baffles (not really an option).

Originally Posted by buzzm
i never figured a stock 996 for a 'loud' car ! sounds like their limits are totally unrealistic, i wonder what other stock cars are failing
+1 to that! How can any stock car/exhaust fail at a track?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
love the left tips hahaah, that's . Seriously they don't flag you for that? It's clearly designed to trick the sound meter.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sam@ByDesign
Yeah lift or do the side-out tips. Something still sounds off though. We run stock there to avoid the "little shed" with the mic. Is it possible the cats are gutted?
The car passes smog no problem, so I doubt cats are gutted. I noticed that the sound–more of a rasp like a jet than a typical exhaust sound–is not linear to RPM or load. It seems like the car sounds "normal" and then all of a sudden the sound kicks in about 2/3 of the way up the hill, i.e., right by the sound booth or maybe 6K+ RPM in 3rd. I thought perhaps it was from the wastegates dumping out extra boost pressure, but the wastegates still dump into the exhaust upstream of the mufflers, right?

There were a couple of other 996 turbos there that day, at least one with an aftermarket exhaust, that were not getting black flagged. The only material difference with mine is the K24 turbos. I'm willing to make the "laguna pipes" but first want to rule out some issue with my exhaust system making it louder than it should be.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Yeah and sounds like you are just the right pitch for the thing to pick up.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Is your car an X50 or regular turbo? I'm assuming since you say K24 it's an X50, which does have a louder exhaust than a regular Turbo.

Originally Posted by Sam@ByDesign
Yeah and sounds like you are just the right pitch for the thing to pick up.
I would agree, the X50 car definitely has a distinctive (and louder) sound versus a regular Turbo.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Yeah, the track marshal, who I had too many occasions to speak with, said the car sounds like a jet plane down the front straight.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
I got black flagged in my first session at LS also even with track tips. The rest of the day I took it easy on the gas pedal after turn 5 and had no problems. On 90db days that is really all you can do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Failed 90 db limit, badly, at Laguna Seca