996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Rotor Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Brake Rotor Wear

I was washing my car today for the first time in a long time and I noticed the rotors are looking like ****. They are seriously grooved. I can't imagine how a new, flat brake pad would make much contact with the rotor until it became shaped. ALSO, there are several cracks forming from the vent holes on the fronts. Is this normal???

Thanks, Mike

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
Totally normal. Those don't look too bad yet. The time to change them is when the holes get connected or the cracks reach the outer edge.

I recently upgraded my brakes (rotors, pads, fluid). Here's what my old rotors looked like after 7k miles and about a half dozen track days:

Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
pierre is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Holger B
Totally normal. Those don't look too bad yet. The time to change them is when the holes get connected or the cracks reach the outer edge.
I fully agree. No need to panic. Yet.

Greetings,
--Pierre

Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Slow down Mike!....stop using the brakes so much...lol

Old 09-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I had decided to stay with the OEM brakes. Looks like an opportunity to upgrade is presenting itself . Do the aftermarket big brake kits hold up any better?

Mike

Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Its a problem when they cracks connec, or meet the outer edge of the rotor. Until then you are ok..

Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Zippy: The StopTechs are superior to the stock rotors. I think the biggest reason is they are bigger and slotted instead of drilled. Almost no road race team uses drilled rotors as they drilled holes are stress concentration points and they will prematurely crack. As Fabryce and others have said, yours are fine. For comparison, my stock rotors lasted three track days. My StopTechs lasted over a dozen. I am very tough on brakes.

Last edited by ColorChange; 09-06-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:11 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
They just replaced my rotors under Wty. I had the same cracks but they were also warped. I was told the cracks weren't a problem but they replaced both fronts because they warped. The tech said just so long as the cracks don't reach the edge or start conecting they were good to go. I saw the cracks and freaked, the other posts seem to agree with the tech but I don't feel comfortable having them present. Do you have to pull over every XX miles to see how far they spread???

Old 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
Here are my new rotors from Devek. 2-piece, solid mount, slotted, heat treated, balanced. 6 pounds lighter each than Cup rotors. Don't know if they have them for the stock TT size. Also, got RS-19 pads that squeal in quadraphonic like nothing you've ever heard when they warm up. Between that and the bypass pipes, a friend was pointing out that I've probably got the loudest street P-car on the planet!...and I'm lovin' every minute of it.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:19 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
HolgerB, those are nice. I like the idea of aluminum hats.

1- Does anyone else make stock replacement rotors for the TT?

2- Are the C4 brakes identical to the TT?

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 09-06-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
ColorChange is right. Go slotted next time. They move just as much heat and gas away from the rotor without cracking issues.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Heres a really good site I came across the other day.

http://www.brakewarehouse.com/

it also has a few really good FAQs.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
You guys ever cryo your rotors? I used cryo'd rotors on a track car a few yrs back, and they held up amazingly well.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 AM
t2_996420 is infamous around these partst2_996420 is infamous around these parts
70,000 miles on my PCCB's with no issues - got 67,000 miles and 6 track events from the first set of pads......no issues with the rotors as you posted....

Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Here is what you want to avoid.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Wear