996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of the New Record 996TT 1/4mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MARKSKI
congrats Alex......
I keep harping on one thing over and over....
has anyone broke into the 10s with a 6 speed tranny?
Im getting very close but its so hard to get a 1.6 60 foot....
Im guessing that the TIP takes away lots of these headaches.
Thanks man and you are spot on- the 996TT manual tranny is not easy at all to launch. Even pro drivers that I've seend try it end up bogging or wheel hopping like crazy Tip does take some of those headaches away although there are other ones...

Old 09-05-2005, 06:10 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Sharky,
your one of the few men around with guts, glory and the dedication to the Porsches. I applaud you big time. I might harrass you by asking you a few questions if you don't mind. I am trying to go the way you have gone when it comes to modifying your Tip P-car. Can you give me detailed input on your car (Engine and Tranny work done) As i think i am miles & miles to get close to yours.
Thanks for being so dedicated to the Porsche Community .... and keep the good times rolling.....SAFELY... that is.
Nah I dunno about that. I'm pretty chicken to be honest and there are a LOT of really good Porsche enthusiasts around Thanks for the kind words and don't worry about the harassment- far from it. I love these silly tips!

So the engine work done is a standard rebuild with Carillo rods, ARP head studs (from EVO), the Porsche Motorsport pistons (a few Grams lighter than stock) and all new bearings etc... I did some work to the crank also, polished it etc... Other than that there's nothing crazy going on in the engine. I wasn't planning on crazy high revs or anything. The tranny, believe it or not is all stock! The only thing changes is a that Todd/Mike@EVO came up with a plan to revein the torque converter.

I did bend my stock rods at around 30K miles and with the 750Kit running close to 30PSI back in Vegas so anything above the 700hp mark and you'll need to think about that... Otherwise it's purely some bolt ons including turbos, a fuel system, programming and so on.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:13 PM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
awesome run Sharky! How about those other videos you promised me

Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Sharky,
I can't remeber who said they could do it but someone told me they could remap the trans computer and get the shifts to happen much firmer and without so much delay. Have you tried this with yours. I don't think they change the lower shift point for the 1-2 shift because of shaft worries but firm and speed up the other shifts which should help a tenth or so also. What is your experience with this. I think it may have been mike at AWE but I could be wrong. Congrats on the times and keep our tips getting quicker.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by CarreraGtRacer
awesome run Sharky! How about those other videos you promised me
LOL I am trying!

Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Alex, good runs. You're getting 6.9x @ 104-105MPH to half track which means you are picking up a lot of time in the top half of the track.

The short time is not so good but you know that already. You desperately need better rubber and to stall up on the convertor much better on the line.

Fitting some 15" rims to the rear even with drag radials will get you plenty. Fitting slicks will net even more.

Also you need to ditch those monster front wheels/tyres for the strip and get either front runners or skinny narrow and hard cross plys.

Your auto tranny is shifting really slowly, it sounds stock! Plenty to be gained there.

And yes, go to a sea level track on a ccold night, you will pick up a lot more power.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 PM
JDN17 is infamous around these parts
Very nice runs... makes me want to get a tip for the next one. That thing is wicked fast!

Old 09-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by MrBlonde
Alex, good runs. You're getting 6.9x @ 104-105MPH to half track which means you are picking up a lot of time in the top half of the track.

The short time is not so good but you know that already. You desperately need better rubber and to stall up on the convertor much better on the line.

Fitting some 15" rims to the rear even with drag radials will get you plenty. Fitting slicks will net even more.

Also you need to ditch those monster front wheels/tyres for the strip and get either front runners or skinny narrow and hard cross plys.

Your auto tranny is shifting really slowly, it sounds stock! Plenty to be gained there.

And yes, go to a sea level track on a ccold night, you will pick up a lot more power.
With his brakes, there is NO chance of a 15" wheel. The tip actually ships pretty well, maybe it doesn't come across that way on video though. His 1/8 mile times and mph are pretty much right on where the car should be, if anything he should be picking up a few more mph on the top half of the track.

There's no need to go to many extremes, this was the first time out with the car still fully loaded up. The time will improve and mph will go up with some more seat time.

Also, Sacramento is at sea level although it was a hot day.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
tjmpb is infamous around these parts
I don't know much about all the different models of modified cars out doing 1/4 mile times, but...

aren't they (almost) always stick shift? If so, is Sharky's one of the fastest automatics? Not just 996tt's but against other cars with automatic transmissions?

Last edited by tjmpb; 09-06-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Paul2x is infamous around these parts
Hey Sharky, Great run!!
What RPM did you launch at?

Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by sharkster
LOL I am trying!
gotta admit that was better than ****

Very nice times Alex, impressive...

Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 AM
CarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the rough
Very nice..just additional motivation to pick up a TT!

Old 09-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by Red C5
With his brakes, there is NO chance of a 15" wheel. The tip actually ships pretty well, maybe it doesn't come across that way on video though. His 1/8 mile times and mph are pretty much right on where the car should be, if anything he should be picking up a few more mph on the top half of the track.

There's no need to go to many extremes, this was the first time out with the car still fully loaded up. The time will improve and mph will go up with some more seat time.

Also, Sacramento is at sea level although it was a hot day.
Sounds like it's all sorted then! No gains to be made.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by MrBlonde
Sounds like it's all sorted then! No gains to be made.
Nah I think there are some gains to be made! The first 1/8th is just those big turbos and lag The 1.62 60 foot wasn't too bad but if I can do better, I want to try! The car really seems more suited to a 1mile type of test but I don't have the cohooonies for that!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by silver
Sharky,
I can't remeber who said they could do it but someone told me they could remap the trans computer and get the shifts to happen much firmer and without so much delay. Have you tried this with yours. I don't think they change the lower shift point for the 1-2 shift because of shaft worries but firm and speed up the other shifts which should help a tenth or so also. What is your experience with this. I think it may have been mike at AWE but I could be wrong. Congrats on the times and keep our tips getting quicker.
I've spoken to Renntech and some other companies about that but so far nobody has wanted to touch that I agree on the 1-2 shift- it's already bent a driveshaft once...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video of the New Record 996TT 1/4mile