996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to tell if the car has been tracked...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:48 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
How to tell if the car has been tracked...

Nothing personal and not against tracking the car either but would like to know what to look for to avoid a car that has been tracked .........
Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 08:10 AM
rsrracer is infamous around these parts
As someone who has tracked many cars...

1) Small ***** / strands of rubber in the front radiators;
2) calipers with paint chipped (frrom removal of track wheels);
3) windshield pitting
4) front bumper and hood paint in poor shape
5) helmet marks/scars on the roofliner

That being said, most track driven cars are owned by gearheads and are in general more well maintained.

I would not avoid a track car. Just ask the owner for a comprehensive OBD2 scan which will show you the number of level 1 and level 2 overrev cycles.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
RSR,
Level 1 and Level 2 over rev cycles? Please elaborate.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Also, are the small ***** due to sitting under tightened harnesses for extended periods of time...and what's a non-awkward way to check the owner for this?

Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
zed
zed is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Super D
Also, are the small ***** due to sitting under tightened harnesses for extended periods of time...and what's a non-awkward way to check the owner for this?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
Tracking a car properly is not going to do as much damage as a "weekend racer" with poor driving skills can do. Launching the car at green lights, pulling a car into a garage with hot brakes, and ripping through gears can all be done on the street. Talk to the owner/driver and you will most likely get a comfort level for the care of the car and whether it has been abused or not.
PS...3 sets of slicks and spare wheels in owners garage can also tip you off.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:38 PM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
Just ask the owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would proudly tell a buyer my car has been tracked. There is more wear and tear in daily driving in bumper to bumper traffic than a weekend on the track. These engines are race-derived engines built for the track. Us "track guys" take very good care of our cars. I would worry about "street racers" and drag guys. I would be concerned with a "garage queen" with 5K miles on a 3-year-old car.
Type 2 over-rev is a missed 5 to 3 shift(bad). Type 1 is hitting the rev-limiter(OK). The dealer can download this info from the car DME.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
Checking the tires can give a good clue. If the treads/outside edge are torn up/rough/shedding it tells you something about the type of driving. I never tracked my last car but did a DE car controll clinic and when I went to trade it in they had alot of questions after seeing the tires.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
tracked cars are much better than daily drivers that puts around town. tracked cars hold compression better and are generally faster ;-)

to tell if it's tracked? jack the car up on stands, get under the car, look on the underside of sideskirts or sidesills. a tracked car will have 50% of the paint gone at that area. most owners will not repaint that part.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:48 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by mowblowgo
PS...3 sets of slicks and spare wheels in owners garage can also tip you off.
True! Always inspect for contraband!

Also, look at upper windshield corner on the driver's side for the tell-tale residue from tech inspection stickers.

And, you can always appeal to their ego and try to get them to spill the beans...that's a nice stealthy can-opener to keep handy.

Finally, you can do what Porsche probably does when addressing a warranty claim--look up the person's name on the internet and look for event times or participant lists.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
And I thought the guy I bought my last car from used steriods. I knew something was fishy.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
XX911XX is infamous around these parts

You crack me up Super D!