996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 check engine light drive to workshop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
samyy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by King James

Me too. Rutherford & Weston in Woodbridge.
Its a Small world im in kleinburg close to bolton area

Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Congrats and Enjoy ..
I would disconnect your + battery post,,with car off, for a few minutes and then restart the car and take it for a ride and duplicate the situation to see if the light comes back on...I have done that a few times with occasional dash lights and they never reappeared and my car ran fine..
Good Luck..
Tried it today and the code is gone but I fear when I push the car hard it will re-appear

Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Should have read the code or codes associated with the CEL, at least. And possibly the car checked out by a qualified shop after the behavior.

How long did the car sit at the dealer before you bought the car?

Gasoline could be stale, or even the wrong octane as the dealer might have dumped in some 87.

Get the car insured.

Check the vital fluid levels.

Then start the engine and let it idle. Let it idle long enough to get warm enough to check the oil level. If the engine sounds ok then drive the car around easy until it is fully warmed up. Might want to stop at a station and fill the tank with fresh premium gasoline too.

Don't jump on the car hard but give it some whip and then back off. Be sure all the vital signs look good. Oil pressure. Coolant temp. Battery voltage.

If at any time the CEL comes on or the engine starts acting up you're done. Shut off the engine and get the car flat bedded somewhere.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by samyy
hi guys I'm new here just bought my 996 tt yesterday from the dealer. while I was driving the car in low speed felt ok no problems but when I pushed the car and shifting gears at hi RPM at a certain point the check "engine light drive to workshop" came on and seemed to clear it self but I got the light every time I would push it hard and seemed like the RPM wouldn't go over 5RPM because of safety to the engine but I don't no but after words driving home didn't push it and the light came on and stayed on any ideas I know I need a code that it's giving but I don't have the tools for that stuff and the dealer will be picking it up next week and taking a look at it at there expenses so any ideas has anyone ever had this issue? Thanks for all comments
My 2 cents: Why do ANYTHING based on the above??? Let him figure it out!

P.S. Congrats on the car - sorry it has started with a bit of frustration. Hopefully it will turn out to be a minor issue and you will be back to enjoying it sooner than later!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
That's correct let them worry about it for now, I'm sure it will soon be running great and forgotten about.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Should have read the code or codes associated with the CEL, at least. And possibly the car checked out by a qualified shop after the behavior.

How long did the car sit at the dealer before you bought the car?

Gasoline could be stale, or even the wrong octane as the dealer might have dumped in some 87.

Get the car insured.

Check the vital fluid levels.

Then start the engine and let it idle. Let it idle long enough to get warm enough to check the oil level. If the engine sounds ok then drive the car around easy until it is fully warmed up. Might want to stop at a station and fill the tank with fresh premium gasoline too.

Don't jump on the car hard but give it some whip and then back off. Be sure all the vital signs look good. Oil pressure. Coolant temp. Battery voltage.

If at any time the CEL comes on or the engine starts acting up you're done. Shut off the engine and get the car flat bedded somewhere.

Well this is my problem when I went to test drive it my first time for a test drive I didnt have any errors and I even took it to get a ppi and no code or anything but the car need work like the clutch accumaltor and slave and the the latches for the windows and for the pessanger window wasnt even going down so they had to change the motor for the window of the passenger and it was all covered by the dealer so I dont no why these codes are coming up all of a sudden?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
rk5rk5rk5 is infamous around these parts
Hi i have the same problem everytime i pushed hard say 4k rpm the cel comes off But mine got fixed a friend red d codes i had to change 1of the O2sensor and the rest of them just needed cleaning but i already ordered spare O2 just incase i need to change em... hope youll be able to fix yours

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Hey guys so I took the car to the indy and there was multiple misfires on all 6 cylinders :s he said he didnt no exacty what it was he was gonna do some research and call me so im going to be waiting for his call.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Well this is my problem when I went to test drive it my first time for a test drive I didnt have any errors and I even took it to get a ppi and no code or anything but the car need work like the clutch accumaltor and slave and the the latches for the windows and for the pessanger window wasnt even going down so they had to change the motor for the window of the passenger and it was all covered by the dealer so I dont no why these codes are coming up all of a sudden?
Sorry to hear you are having immediate problems. Often, you get what you pay for. Good that the dealer was able to take care of the window and clutch issues. Depending on how the car was previously maintained / documented, be prepared to do some maintenance work. Advice = try to bundle the work as labor is quite high. Misfires may be spark plugs and coilpacks (odd that you are getting all 6 though). If they go in to replace - consider having them check / replace hoses and clamps, replace diverter valves, do a full boost/vac test and replace anything else that may look suspect.
Maybe a few grand and you'll be on the road.

Hopefully you got a great deal as the car had issues when you bought it and the maintenance will bring it up to where it should be.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Ok so the indy got back to me and he said that he wasn't 100% sure of why it was misfireing and said to me that I should start with spark plugs he didnt wanna tell me it was 100% that and turned out it wasn't and I dont think the orignal owner has ever changed the sparkplugs just looking at the history service's sould I back out of the turbo or sould keep it what do you guys think. what would you do if you where in my shoes?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Ok so the indy got back to me and he said that he wasn't 100% sure of why it was misfireing and said to me that I should start with spark plugs he didnt wanna tell me it was 100% that and turned out it wasn't and I dont think the orignal owner has ever changed the sparkplugs just looking at the history service's sould I back out of the turbo or sould keep it what do you guys think. what would you do if you where in my shoes?

Did he check the coils? What codes did it throw? By "dealer" I assume you mean an independent used car place? What is the dealer's involvement at this point? It certainly appears to me they will need to get the car fixed right, whether you keep it or not. Although I'm not sure of your arrangement, but I would likely tell them to call me when it is fixed!

As far as what you should do, that depends on a lot of things, most of them personal. Myself, I would seriously hesitate at this point, due to the lackluster maintenance performed on the car to this point.

Some particulars on the car may help others form an opinion: What year, mileage, and price, for starters?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
If I could back out of deal I would there are a lot of other good cars to choose from.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM
bmwade is infamous around these parts
If it's an Indy dealer back out. If it's a Pcar dealer or other brand name dealer then make them fix it. Either way be damn glad you didn't buy it from an individual!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by bmwade
If it's an Indy dealer back out. If it's a Pcar dealer or other brand name dealer then make them fix it. Either way be damn glad you didn't buy it from an individual!
Dealer mostly deals with exotic cars and he's sold about 27 pcars and is a big fan of porsche and is in the club or use to be so dont get me wrong he knows whats hes talking about. but I dont know if I should change spark plugs and then see if the misfire is still there thats where im stuck. The reason I think they (dealer) wont change them is because spark plugs are a maintenance protuct and im afraid that if I change them and there not at fault or on the other hand if I do change them and it resolves the issue that would be a big relielf. I dont think its anything major because the light would of stayed on after I reseted the battery

Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Dealer mostly deals with exotic cars and he's sold about 27 pcars and is a big fan of porsche and is in the club or use to be so dont get me wrong he knows whats hes talking about. but I dont know if I should change spark plugs and then see if the misfire is still there thats where im stuck. The reason I think they (dealer) wont change them is because spark plugs are a maintenance protuct and im afraid that if I change them and there not at fault or on the other hand if I do change them and it resolves the issue that would be a big relielf. I dont think its anything major because the light would of stayed on after I reseted the battery
I thought you said it was NOT the plugs. I guess I misread your post. An experienced exotic car dealer should certainly ensure the car is perfect when selling it. That's the whole point of dealing with a dealer of exotic cars. I bought mine from one of those as well.

If he is not willing to do whatever it takes to get the car running right, I would definitely back out. Now that he is on notice about the problems, he will have a hard time selling the car in it's present condition, unless he decides not to disclose it to the next buyer, which would make him an unethical dealer in the first place, and not worth dealing with. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 check engine light drive to workshop?