996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 check engine light drive to workshop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
samyy is infamous around these parts
996 check engine light drive to workshop?

hi guys I'm new here just bought my 996 tt yesterday from the dealer. while I was driving the car in low speed felt ok no problems but when I pushed the car and shifting gears at hi RPM at a certain point the check "engine light drive to workshop" came on and seemed to clear it self but I got the light every time I would push it hard and seemed like the RPM wouldn't go over 5RPM because of safety to the engine but I don't no but after words driving home didn't push it and the light came on and stayed on any ideas I know I need a code that it's giving but I don't have the tools for that stuff and the dealer will be picking it up next week and taking a look at it at there expenses so any ideas has anyone ever had this issue? Thanks for all comments

Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140302_100229.png
Views:	198
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	341105

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140302_100219.png
Views:	222
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	341104

Just some pictures of the car 996 tt x50

Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on your purchase, looks great.

Can't say anything about your issue (have it scanned with any scan tool to see what the code is) but it doesn't sounds dangerous to drive if regular driving it behaving normally. If it's having issue at load its a sensor, boost leak, dead maf etc... something is preventing the ecu from understanding whats happening under full load. Based on what your symptoms are id say it's misfire under load so you'll likely need new plugs and/or coil pack(s). Don't guess however, just have the dealer scan it and you'll know what the issue is.

Last edited by King James; 03-02-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Best to just wait and see what the dealer says as it could be many things. Is the dealer or their mechanic familiar with euro cars?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Best to just wait and see what the dealer says as it could be many things. Is the dealer or their mechanic familiar with euro cars?
Hope it's nothing big. And he's not there mechanic they just recommend him he's been dealing with pcars for 25 years and has been servicing the car I own for the last 4 year I believe

Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by King James
Congrats on your purchase, looks great.

Can't say anything about your issue (have it scanned with any scan tool to see what the code is) but it doesn't sounds dangerous to drive if regular driving it behaving normally. If it's having issue at load its a sensor, boost leak, dead maf etc... something is preventing the ecu from understanding whats happening under full load. Based on what your symptoms are id say it's misfire under load so you'll likely need new plugs and/or coil pack(s). Don't guess however, just have the dealer scan it and you'll know what the issue is.
Thanks for the info king

Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Congrats and Enjoy ..
I would disconnect your + battery post,,with car off, for a few minutes and then restart the car and take it for a ride and duplicate the situation to see if the light comes back on...I have done that a few times with occasional dash lights and they never reappeared and my car ran fine..
Good Luck..

Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM
redturbo01 is infamous around these parts
Where in Ontario are you located Samyy?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Congrats and Enjoy ..
I would disconnect your + battery post,,with car off, for a few minutes and then restart the car and take it for a ride and duplicate the situation to see if the light comes back on...I have done that a few times with occasional dash lights and they never reappeared and my car ran fine..
Good Luck..

I would do that but the car is not insured yet I only have parking and theft on it.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by redturbo01
Where in Ontario are you located Samyy?

I'm In Vaughan

Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by samyy
I would do that but the car is not insured yet I only have parking and theft on it.
You can still do it, just let the car idle and warm up, then see if the light pops up again.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed

You can still do it, just let the car idle and warm up, then see if the light pops up again.
Thanks johnspeed will try as soon as I get home

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by samyy
I'm In Vaughan

Me too. Rutherford & Weston in Woodbridge.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM
JayRacing has a spectacular aura aboutJayRacing has a spectacular aura about
Could just be something silly. Check the gas cap is tight...

Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by JayRacing
Could just be something silly. Check the gas cap is tight...
Checked that its not the gas cap I wish it was

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 check engine light drive to workshop?