996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
TechArt PSS9
9.38%
FVD PSS9
12.50%
Re-Designed H&R
9.38%
Ruf PSS9
37.50%
KW V3
3.13%
JRZ/Moton Triple Adjustable Suspension
9.38%
Bilstein PSS9 (Euro Version)
9.38%
Bilstein PSS9 (USA Version-released November 2003)
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension Suggesion Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:16 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
Suspension Suggesion Poll

My next step will be the suspension modification...
but I'm so undecided ...
For the price range around pss9...
there are fvd, h&r...(under 3G)

a bit higher up is the ruf, techart and kw v3 (around 4G)

and finally the jrz/moton triple adjustable which for parts are running around 6G...

So I decided to have a poll for this...and please give me some feedback...

I know it's been an on-going issue for a long time...^^
but it's always fun just to talk about it...hahaha
and make comaprisons.........

Old 11-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
I had the H&R coilovers (first generation) and now using the RUF PSS-9 coilovers... The H&R's weren't bad, but I like the adjustability of the RUF and how it comes together with the rear sway bar. Very neutral removing most of the stock understeer...As you know, it's about $1600 more than the Bilstein PSS-9, but I think it's worth it, especially in the long run, RUF is great about product support. So far, I think everyone has been happy with their choice of coilovers...it just depends what you're looking for. From what I understand, the FVD and Bilstein varieties of the PSS-9 are tuned more for track/club sport setups vs. the street tuned RUF.

Since 95% of my driving is street, I decided to go with RUF and I'm very happy to say the least!!!

Old 11-09-2003, 07:39 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I originally had the Techart system and switched to the JRZ triple adjustable. Night and day difference. Although the Ruf system has the ability to make adjustments, the adjustments are not in the same league as the JRZ's. You would definitely be able to notice the difference with different track layouts. Then again, you must have the knowledge and experience to be able to make the adjustments. With the Ruf, one click changes the damper setting. With the JRZ, you have three separate damper reaction controls per damper. You must be able to understand what it is you want to control. The differences can be great in competition where you have the time to fine tune the adjustments. You probably would not find the time to make the adjustments for everyday driving. The other difference is maintainance. The JRZ type shock costs more to maintain. Be prepared to change the fluids yearly along with reparing a seal or two once a year. Cost to maintain is about $500. to $1,500. per year. Depending if you just change oil or oil and seals.

Old 11-09-2003, 09:28 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
luting_chen,
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the TechArt suspension is not PSS-9 based. My understanding is that they use a single spring (rather than main + tender) and the spring coils taper in diameter meaning it is a progressive setup as compared to the non-progressive PSS-9 based setups. The Bilstein, RUF and FVD are all variations on a common design. They differ in their spring rates and shock valving. The Bilstein (USA) versions were just introduced last week.

Last edited by KPV; 11-09-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:54 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
How about the CROSS set-up ?

Inverted montube, 15 way adjustment, camber plate, ride height adj separate from spring perch for proper corner balancing w/o affecting spring rate, etc. Supposedly avail now for Porsches , FWIW. CROSS suspension

Old 11-09-2003, 10:47 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
If you are going to go with PSS-9's, I vote FVD's hands down. They originally designed the PSS-9's with Bilstein and their coils have more agressive spring rates (about 30%) then the Bilstein PSS-9's and also have better valveing. In my mind, there is no reason to pay the extra $1,000+ for the RUF's...As Ken said above the Techarts don't compare because they are single spring. I believe some of the design is taken from the PSS-9's, but they are different.
However if you want somthing better then PSS-9's (tracking a lot, etc.) then I hear those JRZ's are damn good (should be for 6g's )
Evan

Old 11-09-2003, 10:55 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Evan,

By the time the JRZ's are installed complete, you would be lucky to get out the door for under 10K.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:14 AM
cjv... is the installation that ...expensive??? @_@
wow...
b/c i believe it's still possible to get 20% discount on jrz parts... (even though the discounts ended in oct)...
4 G in installation is... a lot ~>_<~...
hm... if it's the case of such high maintenance cost... then i definetely won't go for jrz... 1G maintenance is way too much for simply 90% street rides... (even though it's fun to play around with setting)

chad: what would you recommend if excluding the jrz???

mkw: wow... i've never heard of this b4... and i looked up the pricing for it... it's around 3000 for the cross competition suspension... has anyone used this b4????

Kev

Old 11-09-2003, 11:14 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Evan,

By the time the JRZ's are installed complete, you would be lucky to get out the door for under 10K.
OUCH, I was just going by his org. post on that one...sounds like you would need to be doing some serious hardcore driving to need those...
Evan

Old 11-09-2003, 11:19 AM
kpv:
what's the difference between the US version and others????
I heard that the pss9 has problems when installed with H&R sways... is it solved yet? or is there an alternative way to do it???

any idea guys???? b/c this is the main reason stopping me from going to bilstein... i know there is always a possiblity to use a droplink... but i think it's a bit too trouble some to deal with it...

Old 11-09-2003, 11:30 AM
cjv
luting_chen,

You want to change the hats, about 1K and also go with monoballs. The installation is about 2K. Then don't forget, you need to corner balance.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:53 PM
I understand that TechArt has a PSS-9 kit out there also. I called CEC during the summer when shopping suspensions and they quoted me $4500 w/o sways. I believe Bydesign has this kit also.

Kevin,

I think the alternative would be to use a stock front sway bar and change the rear bar to GT2/GT3 sway. Ken(KPV), are you using this setup??? The problems with the H&R bars is it hits the cross member brace in the rear but mounts up fine to the PSS-9 or your choice of coilover.

Old 11-09-2003, 02:07 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I think Techart does use a variation of the PSS-9 as this is stated in their catalogue and all their race cars have "Bilstein" decals on them...
I am also interested in the difference between euro and US PSS-9??

Old 11-09-2003, 02:42 PM
03 C4S...

It's not an absolute must to change the sways, but if you feel the need to, the idea of stock front with GT2/GT3 rear bar isn't a bad one. Before the RUF kit, I used the GT2/GT3 bars (scargo droplinks) with H&R coilovers. I have the drop links for sale since I'm using the RUF suspension now.

Old 11-09-2003, 02:43 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Who chose the PSS9 USA? These were just released last week. If it wasn't a mistake with the mouse click, I would be interested to hear who has them and any comments about them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Suggesion Poll