996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mounted up my R888s today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Thx for posting....wow 1.4's on street tires is insane. Champion had rear DR's when they did the 1.425 60 foot/ 9.83 quarter mile on their 997.2 Turbo S development car.

Is the 997 driver on the forums? Didn't see this posted on the 997 subforum.

Its more the PDK with launch control then it is the radials. That car launches like a beast.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by prodigymb
yeah you are right the R888s run wide and will def not look stretched at all on a 12" rim so do Michelin Super Sports.

Every car I have been in with R888s on, they were noisy, very noisy.
My r888's whine.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
My r888's whine.
Yea, it sounded like a whine. Nothing too crazy but I didn't cruise faster than 55-60 (I went faster than that, but scream of the exhaust drowned everything else out... including my wife )

Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
Its more the PDK with launch control then it is the radials. That car launches like a beast.
I wish that were the case! But unfortunately the PDK+launch control can only do so much without good tires. I have Michelin PSS and even messing with the tire pressure, the best drag strip 60 foot times I acheived (stock 997.2 Turbo S + GIAC Stage 1 tune) were in the 1.6 second range (0-60mph in 2.6 on a pBox). the car just isn't capable of doing any better because the tires were spinning.

So now that I upgraded to the Stage 2 tune (which added +75 HP), I'm just blowing off the PSS tires using launch control...so I need tires that grip much better if I'm going to drop from 1.6s to 1.4's...and r888's look like they are the answer!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2swoosh
saw a guy today @ Atco, NJ with a 997 Turbo S PDK cutting a 1.4 60' with 4 R8s and went 10.02
I believe that might've been ecpChris who has the GIAC/Champion 9 second setup. He was on pump mode because that is all he has right now. Going back soon on race mode to break into the 9s. /threadjack

Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
I believe that might've been ecpChris who has the GIAC/Champion 9 second setup. He was on pump mode because that is all he has right now. Going back soon on race mode to break into the 9s. /threadjack
Unfortunately that one wasn't me although I was at the track this weekend. I was at Englishtown, made one pass that almost put me into the wall 50 ft in and went home. It was scary as hell.
I just overnighted my ecu to get the race map. As long as I get it back before this weekend I have full intentions on running 9s this weekend
Running pirelli corsas now but plan on switching to r888s once these are done

Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Unfortunately that one wasn't me although I was at the track this weekend. I was at Englishtown, made one pass that almost put me into the wall 50 ft in and went home. It was scary as hell.
I just overnighted my ecu to get the race map. As long as I get it back before this weekend I have full intentions on running 9s this weekend
Running pirelli corsas now but plan on switching to r888s once these are done
He's on the forums...username is MrBig I believe. He's got a .2 TT-S PDK with our full package, including 68mm turbos. His car's got a 9 second pass in it for sure. I literally JUST shipped the car back to him a few days before he went to Atco, so once he puts some miles on it and it adapts a little more, it should get there easily. He runs 19 inch R888's on BBS wheels...the thing launches SCARY!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM
oldspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rough
Interesting discussion and thanks for the share and information. Just curious, is this a cost, traction, or something else thing. I ask because are the Michelins junk, took expensive, poor performing? I have the pilot sports and recently shelled out $$$ for the rears...but if there is a better/cheaper alternative for a street car..be interested.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Just a note on fitment of the bigger tires. My NT-01s of same sizes were fine sitting, but the rears rubbed inner fender liners at the rear I presume under high G loads at the track. Added 7mm spacers to rectify.