996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Here you go GT3 owners.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
With my tt and upgrades, I believe I can get close to GT-2 performance (actually faster) with a heavily modded tt (suspension and stage 4gt) for much less cost, plus the benefit of PSM (assuming it is not to intrusive on the track as most say). With the turbo GT-3, lighter and still big power, much lower cost than GT-2.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:16 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ColorChange
With the turbo GT-3, lighter and still big power, much lower cost than GT-2.
Its sad to say but there are some people selling GT2s for low numbers.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:42 PM
996twin is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by JASCLASS
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought one of the major appeals about the GT3 are the n/a power and high redline, that makes no sense to me.
but all serious race porsche's are TT's.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 996twin
Where did you come up with that information? Please enlighten me.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:57 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
With my tt and upgrades, I believe I can get close to GT-2 performance (actually faster) with a heavily modded tt (suspension and stage 4gt) for much less cost, plus the benefit of PSM (assuming it is not to intrusive on the track as most say). With the turbo GT-3, lighter and still big power, much lower cost than GT-2.
you may think so, but it will still feel like a primitive pig compared to a gt2. drive one of each -- especially on the track -- and then reach a knowledgeable conclusion; the gt2's near-linear power delivery, superb handling and balance don't show up on your dyno sheet [and you could add HP to a gt2]

and when you're done, you coulda bought a gt2 for the same $$$ as duane, et. al. have pointed out, and gt2's are way cheaper than msrp.

Last edited by watt; 11-10-2003 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Well said.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Watt and Jasclass:

If I put the same suspension components (or better) on my tt as is in your GT-2, considering the weights are nearly the same, and a stage4gt would eat up and spit out your stock GT-2 without thinking about it, please explain how the car would "feel like a primative pig"?

Old 11-10-2003, 05:35 PM
You first say your mad because you ordered a TT and you didnt know about this GT3 turbo aftermarket edition, both as very different cars and since you sounded like you rather have a GT3, I suggested you going with a GT2 and you can mod from there if that is what you like, for a person that wants 2wd the GT2 is a better platform to start with than a TT, forget the power factor, you are saying about the PSM kicking in too much, all I did was suggest, you sounded confused with your choice thats all.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Watt and Jasclass:

and a stage4gt would eat up and spit out your stock GT-2 without thinking about it
Take it easy now.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:47 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by 996twin
Seems to me that most professional racer's racing Porsche's are either Cup cars or GT3 RSR's, both naturally aspirated...

Old 11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Chris, Thats correct man.

Old 11-10-2003, 07:38 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"If I put the same suspension components (or better) on my tt as is in your GT-2, considering the weights are nearly the same, and a stage4gt would eat up and spit out your stock GT-2 without thinking about it, please explain how the car would "feel like a primative pig"?"

huh? that primative pig (the TT) has a weight problem relative to the GT2 that shows up EVERYWHERE - ie: not just acceleration, but braking, handling, etc - on the track and elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:41 AM
Ok, checked some weights:

Turbo 3,505
GT-2 3,131
GT-3 3,042

While pulling the rear seats and replacing the front seats with GT-3 seats pulls maybe 100 pounds out of the turbo, you still have a long way to go. I thought the GT-3 would be lighter so I am not that impressed by any potential weight savings, just maybe performance.

Now, will 640 hp tt destroy 477 hp GT-2 with a 300 lb dissadvantage ... yes, on any track with significant straights. Braking should not be a big issue (if I need to upgrade the brakes I will).

Jasclass, you're right, I was having second thoughts. Would like to see some performance numbers on the GT-3 turbo. Now, on the PSM issue, I thought most people were saying it wasn't intrusive?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:34 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
The most HP is not necessary the fastest way around a track, unless it's a super speedway oval... I would surmise that with equal driver's, the stock GT2 would make faster lap times than a modded high HP TT. Just my educated guess...

Old 11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
it's really quite an eye opener to drive them both on the track. until you begin to use the incredible, ineffable capability of the gt2, you just can't fathom what an amazing car it is, and how a TT can never be equal even heavily mod'd.

and if you put a gt2 suspension on your TT, if possible, you'd spend a pretty penny. why not start with the original GT2?

I propose to you that unless you are professionally fast on the track you will never reach the capability of a stock gt2 -- you the driver will be the limiting factor.

i just began to achieve what gt2 can do last week at Willow, and my instructor figured i was 6/10's at most for what the car can do, and it was astounding. your brain, courage and skill are the only constraints in that car. [btw, TT's are wonderful cars, but outclassed at the track in my useless opinion]

the GT2 and the GT3 are pinnacle cars, bringing supercar performance at bargain prices. the best performance deals ever. i plan to spend more on driving lessons and nothing on mod.s

Last edited by watt; 11-11-2003 at 09:02 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Here you go GT3 owners.........