996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lease running out...can't decide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Morgie is infamous around these parts
Lease running out...can't decide

My lease on my 2002 TT (silver/black/stock/19K) runs out in 6 weeks. Buy out is 78+K. I can't decide on whether to buy it (best daily driver for a super car) or turn in and use my S6 Avant as a daily driver and get a 575 Maranello F1 (165K+) or 550 Maranello 6sp (120+K) as a weekend thrill car. Also, could get a 2002 360F1 for 140-150K now that prices seem to have stabilized and may for a while while 430's are very hard to get ahold of.

I like (not love) my TT, but it has lost it's excitement and here in Silicon Valley I see 996's all day long--it has lost its mystique for now.

I anxiously await the 997TT but haven't even heard confirmed numbers for performance and expect initial demand to be high. I won't pay over MSRP.

So, what do you think? Keep the TT for now or try a used Ferrari?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Raza is infamous around these parts
If you don't mind the $$$ upkeep on a Ferrari, go for it.. it is definitely more exotic than a TT...

Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
if the $$ doesnt matter, grab the rarri. They're fun as hell. If you want a daily driver, drop 10 grand and take your tt to stage IV. You won't be bored with that.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Get the 360 and use the A6 as a DD, the 360 is a thrill a minute to drive, just be prepared for major $ of the car breaks down.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:52 PM
follow-up

Thanks for the feedback so far. Money is not the problem, it is trying to make sure that it is not wasted and that it is a sound decision. The TT is a phenomenal car that is unbeatable as a daily driver. Common sense suggests that I should keep it, however the idea of a weekend drive in a Ferrari on a regular basis is exciting (until I get the repair bills).

It helps to get outside opinions for good reality testing. Perhaps it would be smart to spend a little more and get a late 2003 or 2004 360 so that there is a partial warranty left. There are a ton of them available all over the place, so it should be easier to negotiate down from asking price.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:02 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I'd get a Ferrari. Either 360 or 550.

575 haven't taken the depreciation as much.

996TT will only drop in price and you probly should get something that's exciting to you. I'd start with some seat time in a F car if you've got a friend with one.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
550 will be a performance disappointment unless your drive resembles autobahn storming. Never driven a 360 but all the feedback I hear is good and Detailer708/Andrew or whatever he calls himself these days is driving one now with a Tubi and the sound is to die for. Most of us with this disease just change for change sake not necessarily b/c a car is better. No question the 550 is a tremendous value, the 360 much less so.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:40 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
550 is not as nimble as a 360 or even TT but I'd never call it a disappointment. It runs faster than a TT straight line and has tons of power. It's not super bloated by any means. I'd not rule out 550 as it may prove to be a good alt to 360. A grey 550 is classic.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
If money isn't the problem keep the tt and buy the Ferrari.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:15 AM
infamous///m3 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by buddyg
If money isn't the problem keep the tt and buy the Ferrari.
Yeah ..

Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 AM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
I live in Silicon Valley and know what you mean..I sold my 996TT after just a few months because I felt like I saw more 996s than Honda Accords. Ended up getting a Lamborghini because you do see a fair number of 360s on the road and the 550s/575s just don't have an exotic look to them. Unfortunately, I am getting relocated to Indianapolis so now I need to sell my Lamborghini. If you are looking for something exotic, and money is not an issue, I can tell you that my particular model has already seen depreciation and is already starting to level off and appreciate which is good news. After all they only sent 10 Diablo Millenium Roadsters to the US so you can feel pretty good you won't run into another one on the road. I still have about 8 months remaining on the warranty; and it is tough to beat 700hp and AWD in a roadster....

I didn't intend this post to be a sales advertisement, but sounds like you are looking for something unique and you live in the area....

Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
I think you should buy ^ this guys Diablo Millenium Roadster

Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
What was funny was the other night I was in Hollywood, and their were 2 360's parked in front of Geisha House and nobody even looked sideways at them. Now that the 430 has come out, I think the 360 has become the new 355 in that it is not the "flavor of the day." It is actually pretty common down here. If that is what you are thinking then you might as well keep the Porsche. If it's about performance then keep the Porsche as it will more than keep up with the Ferraris. If it is all about looks/rarity go for the 575.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:14 PM
why i won't keep it

i sent a pm re: lambo

regarding the purchase of my TT off lease and getting a Ferrari:

my car is not exciting anymore and is one of many, many standard TTs. I would feel different if it was a X-50 or even better a 993TT--- which i consider a collectible. Also, I think that if I had driven my TT as a weekend car and not a daily driver, I would feel differently about it. It lost its "specialness"

Based on some postings about 4post lifts in garages (re: ceiling ht, location of track for doors, commercial motor on side wall of garage, etc), I am building a 5 car garage that will be completed (with the house) in 15 months and will be able to have 4 lifts for a total of 9 cars. When this garage is done, I will start hunting for my ideal collection which will include '65 356SC, 993TT, and who knows what else

Old 09-15-2005, 07:53 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Get the Diablo!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lease running out...can't decide