996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

It looks as though we are about to get hit with another K24 shortage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
It looks as though we are about to get hit with another K24 shortage.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

However, we have ample stock on hand and can ship asap. These are brand new Borg-Warner/Triple K turbos with full factory warranty.

This post applies to all the tuners as well. We have aggressive wholesale pricing.

Shoot me an email if you are interested.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Thanks and have a great day.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:58 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Dammit!! Im not getting my 996tt for a few weeks!

Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
iLL-

Preorder!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Honestly Mike, I'm just not that keen on the K24s. They lag and don't really make all that much power I much prefer the Garrett Turbos etc... or Hybrids.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Smoltz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by iLLM3
Dammit!! Im not getting my 996tt for a few weeks!
Not to hijack the thread, but me and you always seem to cross paths. I have the same handle on fanatics, m3forum, etc. LOL.

You already found a turbo and waiting to pick it up or still looking? The turbo/gt3/2 are the only cars I really consider as upgrades from the M3 as overall cars. Curious to see what you think once you pick one up.

Adam

Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
Originally posted by sharkster
Honestly Mike, I'm just not that keen on the K24s. They lag and don't really make all that much power I much prefer the Garrett Turbos etc... or Hybrids.
Yeah, we know. However, you can't beat the reliability and the affordability of these turbos. With our proprietary K24 software from GIAC, we repeatedly see on our Mustang AWD dyno between 490-505 whp on pump fuel. It's a simple no fuss bolt on which allot of Porsche owners like. There is also the appeal that it's the same turbo used on the GT2/X50 cars.

We've also tested a bunch of hybrid cars here and are only seeing 30-40 whp more, and that's on race fuel! I just don't see the benefits.

Our Audi S4 clients got caught up in a Hybrid craze a few months ago. Everyone thought they were the hottest set up in town.

To date, we still can't find a car that has gone quicker in the 1/4 than a standard OEM K04 car.

Remember this post?

Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Yeah, we know. However, you can't beat the reliability and the affordability of these turbos. With our proprietary K24 software from GIAC, we repeatedly see on our Mustang AWD dyno between 490-505 whp on pump fuel. It's a simple no fuss bolt on which allot of Porsche owners like. There is also the appeal that it's the same turbo used on the GT2/X50 cars.

We've also tested a bunch of hybrid cars here and are only seeing 30-40 whp more, and that's on race fuel! I just don't see the benefits.

Our Audi S4 clients got caught up in a Hybrid craze a few months ago. Everyone thought they were the hottest set up in town.

To date, we still can't find a car that has gone quicker in the 1/4 than a standard OEM K04 car.

Remember this post?
I talked to the guy with the Audi- really nice chap indeed and a good driver. Those S4s can be made to go.. In fact, a friend of mine who works and helps out here has an S4 Avant 6speed that he just picked up. I should have gotten one myself instead of the Mitsu EVO last year but ah well... K04s are a good turbo and it seems like the displacement of the S4 is enough to deal with the small additional lag you get from going from the ****ty K03s up... The K24s do make good peak power it's just that over here in cali where the cops and speed traps are tight, it's all about low end grunt, which sadly the K24s can't provide

Old 09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
blunt is infamous around these parts
Kind of weak example considering you're comparing this car which is a) ~3000lbs and b) ran at a very good track. The guy has a fast car but not everyone is going to drop 600lbs (note that's like 16% weight reduction) or is comparing to that same track which is known to be a great place to run.

I do agree that KKK turbos have proven to be somewhat reliable and if the price is right, aren't a bad option. I still agree that I've yet to see substantial proof that the 0 clearance technology and garret GT turbos are proven to be that much better. Most of the overlays comparing the GT turbos vs. older gen or KKK are making more power with additional lag (similar to just using a larger turbo).

Anyhow, there are places to get some nice KKK replacement turbos now days so i wouldn't stress the shortage. You can always size a similar turbo in the GT series that would swap in and work well with the K24 software.

Remember this post?

Last edited by blunt; 09-15-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Blunt you should get some K04s

Old 09-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
The K24s do make good peak power it's just that over here in cali where the cops and speed traps are tight, it's all about low end grunt, which sadly the K24s can't provide
Then why not stick with K16's and a chip?

Old 09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Then why not stick with K16's and a chip?
'Cos getting GT640 Turbos (Garret Ball Bearing ones) that spool up even faster and have brutal low-end grunt and then even more up top- should you want to take your chances with the law is better I feel Just my opinion... K24s are better suited to highway cars in Germany where you can really test out that top end.

Chips!?!?! We don't need no stinking chips... It's all about the flash instead. Chips is sooo last year

Old 09-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Speaking of Chips:

Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
'Cos getting GT640 Turbos (Garret Ball Bearing ones) that spool up even faster and have brutal low-end grunt and then even more up top- should you want to take your chances with the law is better I feel Just my opinion... K24s are better suited to highway cars in Germany where you can really test out that top end.

Chips!?!?! We don't need no stinking chips... It's all about the flash instead. Chips is sooo last year
I hear what you're saying.

Do you have a dyno overlay of a K16 car and a Garret BB car? Preferably the same car.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I hear what you're saying.

Do you have a dyno overlay of a K16 car and a Garret BB car? Preferably the same car.
I do and can actually do another one next week- a more current one of a Stage II going to a GT640 Not going to do it on a Tip for obvious reasons

However for now just look at all the dynos of the Stage II vs GT640 on EVOs site. Pretty crazy difference down low!

Well let us know when you have specials on the K04s for the S4s then too!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor
Speaking of Chips:
"LA 15-7 Mary 3 and 4 in pursuit of late model doo-doo brown American sedan that is most likely full of kids and is going to spin out then flip over trapping everyone inside."

Dude, I loved that show.

How hot was Bonnie?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It looks as though we are about to get hit with another K24 shortage.