996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Creaking/Stretching/Squealing noise coming from under the windshield area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
clammy77 is infamous around these parts
Creaking/Stretching/Squealing noise coming from under the windshield area

Hi,

So I just got my 2001 911 Turbo (White) with full TechArt kit, and have started driving it around.

I didn't notice it when I was test driving it, but lately I've started to notice a very obvious intermittent stretching/clicking/creaking sound that seems to come from under the passenger (right) windshield area. I don't think it's internal because I've had a friend sit in with me and push down on all dash areas, and the window seal areas, and that didn't seem to alleviate the noise.

When the car is idle, it doesn't come on, but when I start moving, even in first gear, or in reverse (at low speeds), the stretching/creaking sound starts.

Anyone encounter this? I think the previous owner had the car lowered, not sure if it's the suspension, as I've heard people saying it could be the sway links or what not.

Also, another question is that, while driving, it sounds like every little pebble that hits the wheel well generates an echo throughout the cabin. The sound is not isolated at all. It sounds like the little pebbles are directly hitting the back of the backseats. Not sure if this is normal for this awesome car.

Would really love some help on this (the creaking noise is killing me)

Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Funny I just heard a similar noise recently. Stretching/creaking coming from behind the dashboard while driving at any speed. No other rattles anywhere. ????

Old 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I think it has to do with the A/C. Does it go off if you turn all the AC off?

The other thing it could be is your Strut Carrier Bearing. These go bad and you have a weird creaking sound coming from the perch. I've actually got a pair of these for sale. (not trying to peddle my wares, I just know from experience it could be either of these things)

Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
HVAC system OFF.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Not HVAC. I have read a lot of 996 and 993 cars' windshields creaking because of a loose window frame. For those looking for a remedy, try this: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...with-rope.html

I have just ordered my rubber cords, looking forward to seeing the noise go away.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
This is not an uncommon problem with the 911 dating back many years. My 993 squeaked like crazy and was replaced twice under warranty. I get a bit in the 996 but its a 2003 so I've learned to turn up the sound system (right foot).

Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Qcktrbo is infamous around these parts
Dear Sir, The noise that you are hearing is more than likely the front strut plate and bearing. They are known to wear down. Depending on how old the car is or how many miles are in the car. Usually if they start to wear down you will hear a clicking noise. Porsche has revised the "updated front strut plate bearing" throughout the years and are now enclosed in their own case as a full "ring bearing" now. Since the strut has to be removed and then alignment has to follow, it would be a good situation to do both right and left sides at once or put new struts or coilovers at this time again depending on how old the car is and mileage.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Qcktrbo
Dear Sir, The noise that you are hearing is more than likely the front strut plate and bearing. They are known to wear down. Depending on how old the car is or how many miles are in the car. Usually if they start to wear down you will hear a clicking noise. Porsche has revised the "updated front strut plate bearing" throughout the years and are now enclosed in their own case as a full "ring bearing" now. Since the strut has to be removed and then alignment has to follow, it would be a good situation to do both right and left sides at once or put new struts or coilovers at this time again depending on how old the car is and mileage.
Thanks! are there any instructions on how to do this?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Qcktrbo is infamous around these parts
Dear friend, First things first,...be prepared to take apart the struts(rears also if you decided to put all new struts or coilovers). Pop the hood and remove the "plastic panels" from both right and left side near the windshield. Undo the top 3 bolts from the strut mounts on each side, then for the rears, remove the rear seat cushions and undo the 3 bolts from both sides again(driver side and passenger side). Get the car in the air and you should see all of the remaining suspension components that needs to be taken off after you have removed all the wheels. ****it's better if you get this done at a local garage because it will need adjustments after the install as far as alignment. This is not as simple as you think if you don't have any good tools and a little knowledge about repairing cars. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Installed the rubber cord according to TSB 6420. Fixed the squeaking noise completely.

So those who have the same problem, there's your solution!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 6420.pdf (42.0 KB, 207 views)