996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vendetta's 996TT Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Pics!!

Why the 997 Coils? Is it a straight swap?

I was just complaining to a friend about how the clutch is SOOOOO light my granny could drive it! And I dont like it!! Doing the spring mod tonight!!

Scot

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 07-31-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM
dkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Pics!!

Why the 997 Coils? Is it a straight swap?

Scot
the 996 coils were replaced by the 997 coils...so if you buy "996" coils, you are actually getting 997 coils.

Why? I don't know. Better performance and less prone to cracking I suppose? They are a straight swap. Do the plugs while you are at it. If you remove the intercoolers they take 5 mins to do.

Your first time may take a minute, but after you know where everything goes it's not that bad.

EDIT ; uploaded pics. When you pull the rear bumper and intercoolers, you can lift the head shield and see they are VERY easy to access. I believe you can get to them without removing intercoolers but just makes things a bit tigter. up to you.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2447[1].JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	397975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455[1].JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	397976  

Last edited by dkfx; 07-31-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Dan for that info and pics!!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
What Dan said, exactly.

I'll get some pics of the build up in the next week or so. I've moved twice since the build started and I've got stuff all over the place.

In the meantime, I've added a B&M sport shifter, AMS wastegates, and a few other bits and bolts.

-V

Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 AM
dkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vendetta
What Dan said, exactly.

I'll get some pics of the build up in the next week or so. I've moved twice since the build started and I've got stuff all over the place.

In the meantime, I've added a B&M sport shifter, AMS wastegates, and a few other bits and bolts.

-V
Moving twice? dam man!

I'm still waiting for dyno numbers

Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
what a nice build! Oh how I wish I had a competent mechanic nearby to do things like this.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
split71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond repute
Waiting to see how this turns out!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dkfx
Moving twice? dam man!

I'm still waiting for dyno numbers
Not sure I'll dyno it. Seems there's so much slop and "subjectivity" in those numbers, and besides, the street is where I'm gonna be enjoying it, not in the garage.

Originally Posted by daedalus
what a nice build! Oh how I wish I had a competent mechanic nearby to do things like this.
Thanks bud. I'm super impressed with the build, and even more so with the builder, Tim941NYC. Who, for the record, is kinda the freakin' man.

Originally Posted by split71
Waiting to see how this turns out!
It turned out absolutely amazing! Forget words, pics, video, sound clips... all of which I hope to get up here eventually... this thing in person is just more than I could have hoped for. Very VERY happy!

-V

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Just curious why you did the fuel pump, was the stock one not enough, or do you have the thing really cranked up past 1.4 bar?

How did the evoMS inlets go on? I keep eyeing them, to pickup a little bit more spool time. Those, marksi's, and USP's...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by dkfx
Just curious why you did the fuel pump, was the stock one not enough, or do you have the thing really cranked up past 1.4 bar?

How did the evoMS inlets go on? I keep eyeing them, to pickup a little bit more spool time. Those, marksi's, and USP's...
Because, the way I understand it, with the 1000cc injectors and 1.3 to 1.4bar of boost (without pulling any timing) on the K24/18g billet turbos, I'd be near or past the limits of the stock pump. Not sure of the exact numbers, but whatever was done, it's working like a charm.

Evoms intake piping went smoothly. As for their exact impact, I can't tell because I had everything done at once. All I can say is that everything together is delivering the goods.

-V

Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Vendetta
My goal was to keep the car as driveable and reliable as it came from Stuttgart, while adding significant responsiveness and performance.

The coolant fitting failure late last year kinda screwed up my plans to do this piecemeal, instead turning it into one big "while you're in there" scenario.

Here are the details I can remember off the top of my head:
  • Weld all coolant fittings
  • Replaced factory K16 turbos with K24/18g billets with...
  • AMS 1bar wastegates
  • EVOMS intake piping
  • Upgraded fuel pump
  • Upgraded injectors
  • GT2RS Intercoolers
  • GT2 clutch conversion (native, not using an adapter)
  • ERP dual-plate carbon clutch with steel FW
  • Clutch pedal helper spring mod (Details | Home Depot Part Number 684838)
  • B&M Short Shift Kit
  • Bosch 710DVs
  • 997 Coils
  • Bosch F5DP0R plugs
  • RPi 3" catless exhaust
  • Tim's 8mm BB shift-firmer-upper mod
  • Custom tune by Tim941NYC #HBK
  • ...and Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35 and 305/30R19 to put it all to the ground.

Other style mods include:
  • Aero style front spoiler
  • Strosek rear spoiler
  • Rennline mesh grill inserts
  • TechArt style side intake splitters
These are in hand, but will all get put on once I've had the car back a while and confirm everything is stable.

Also have the SmartTop and RemoteTop roof control upgrades, love 'em!

I'll get a bunch of pics up here before long. Yeah, yeah, and re-do my signature.

-V

Hey V!
Do you have any pics of these mods?
  • AMS 1bar wastegates
  • EVOMS intake piping
Have any vids of your beast floating around? Let me know!
Scot

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey V!
Do you have any pics of these mods?
  • AMS 1bar wastegates
  • EVOMS intake piping
Have any vids of your beast floating around? Let me know!
Scot

Old 08-14-2014, 11:50 AM
LOL Thanks Dan!! So the 1 bar wastegate mod requires a tune? Would the ECU read 1 bar as an overboost condition or something?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 AM
You are supposed to get a tune before adding the ams 1bar wastegates... i'd imagine if you were doing these you'll be doing a tune as well.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
LOL Thanks Dan!! So the 1 bar wastegate mod requires a tune? Would the ECU read 1 bar as an overboost condition or something?
yes it does... car will go into limp mode... and if you put it on a 1 bar tune with stock Wgs the car will go into high boost too... in most cases..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vendetta's 996TT Build