996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Lag .... without all the bull

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:59 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Lightbulb Turbo Lag .... without all the bull

I would be interested from those who actually know what turbo shells they have, what their lag or response time is. I realize, judging from responses on this board that turbo lag just doesn't exist.

For the purposes of this question, use third gear at 2600 rpm's. Punch it and tell me how much time it takes to arrive at boost. The same for fourth gear. Make sure you do this in a safe and legal enviromrnt. Also state which hot side and compressor housings you are using. If you don't know then your input is worthless for this test.

This isn't a trick question. Turbo's that are monsters for top end or the quarter mile usually aren't worth a damn coming out of a cornor. Putting your foot into it and counting a thousand one and so forth doesn't do much for track times in most cases. Neither does a match quick turbo.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:07 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Chad, if your exiting a turn at 2600 rpm I would tell you to grab a lower gear. But, I am interested in your information. How do we tell what components we have? Can you tell from pics?

Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
You can experience "pickup lag" when punching at 2600 rpm in a NA or SC car also.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ColorChange
Chad, if your exiting a turn at 2600 rpm I would tell you to grab a lower gear. But, I am interested in your information. How do we tell what components we have? Can you tell from pics?
Colorchange,

Maybe with your set up as well as many others, that is true. If 4000 rpm's is your sweet spot, then how long does it take your set up to go from 2600 to your sweet spot? Of course, the higher gears will develop boost faster, most street usage isn't in the higher gears. As for the components, if I can't tell I will get Kevin, Porsche Phd or another tuner to identify the shells. If all you know is the tuner and the kit then supply that. Yes, a pic would be most helpful. I'm sure it won't take long to get an answer from someone on the board.

Last edited by cjv; 09-23-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
cjv
Originally posted by collin996tt
You can experience "pickup lag" when punching at 2600 rpm in a NA or SC car also.
collin ............... no arguement here. The purpose is for comparison as to response. Again no one turbo is best for all the different applications. As an example, I am not building my current motor for top end, quarter or most hp despite what some may believe. I am hoping for a response that is very steady and progressive so as to be able to drift the car just a little in the turns.

I don't have times for my set up yet, but I am using turbo's built by Tial. I started with then back when KA was helping blaze new ground. Many turners have started to use Tial in the last year or so. My turbo's are set up using what is called a 1995 GT2 K24 hot side (with Garrett internals) and a Garrett compressor side. I believe they are refered to as a GT 30/35.

Last edited by cjv; 09-23-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:56 PM
cjv
Originally posted by wross996TT
Lag is not to be confused with the turbo spooling up, however many publications still make this basic mistake. The spool-up time of a turbo system describes the minimum RPM at which the turbo is physically able to supply the requested boost level. Newer turbocharger and engine developments have caused spool-times to steadily decline to where day-to-day use feels perfectly natural. Putting your foot down at 1200 rpm and having no boost until 2000 rpm is spool-up and not lag.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Turbocharger
That's great . Now what is your turbo set up and times as described above .............. please?

Old 09-23-2005, 06:13 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
I'd love to tell you but my car is stuck at EVO waiting for HRE to pull their head out. I'll let you know as soon as I can though.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Okay I must have missed this thread. Mana what the heck is going on your car has been out of commission for a long time!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
cjv
Originally posted by MANA
I'd love to tell you but my car is stuck at EVO waiting for HRE to pull their head out. I'll let you know as soon as I can though.
MANA,

Let us know when you get it back. Judging from pics I have seen EVO changed turbo's at Stage V and then again at the GT series. It appears they are using the Tial GT series turbo's on their products above the Stage V. Bare in mind their are a few different size Tial GT series turbo's.

The larger turbo's will make more power but at the expensive of response. That is not bad if you are looking for high ET's or top speed. It also requires higher boost levels.

Last edited by cjv; 09-23-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:42 PM
cjv
Nice attitude...and you want our input?
Input yes, side tracking the thread ............. hopefully no. My response was not intended to be degrading ...... I did say "please."

Last edited by cjv; 09-23-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:57 PM
fast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down And yours?

Nice attitude...and you want our input?
Now I know I don't have much forum "cred" here, yet I am compelled to reply to your comment. Judging from cjv's prior technical help with others and influence in creating advancements for ALL Porsche enthusiasts I think you need to check YOUR attitude. It seems, to me, that you have this know-it-all attitude towards cjv for what reason? The fact that he asked a simple question, which you completely ignored, and you replied in such a rude manner shows that you need to either "put up or shut up."

cjv: I'm sorry for taking this off-topic but this ticked me off for some reason. I also wish I could help in determining spool time but I don't have a Porsche to compare with so...

To everyone else, sorry for being hypocritical, I just enjoy viewing some intelligent and always funny people. Neither of which were shown in said response. You guys are great! I hope to see some further informative responses as this thread has been derailed enough. CHEERS!!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
check yo'self b4 you wreck yo'self.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 PM
fast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to behold
Red face I hope I didn't offend...

Originally posted by sharkster
check yo'self b4 you wreck yo'self.
THANK YOU! I needed the laugh!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I'd also like to know the spool up rpm of the various turbos, that is the RPM at which it registers .1 bar boost when you accelerate from low rpm in sixth gear.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
cjv
Originally posted by ebaker
I'd also like to know the spool up rpm of the various turbos, that is the RPM at which it registers .1 bar boost when you accelerate from low rpm in sixth gear.
Another good question. Hopefully in a few days we will have a bunch of answers.

Boost is developed faster in higher gears than it is in lower gears.

Last edited by cjv; 09-23-2005 at 08:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag .... without all the bull