996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gumball Question for those who participated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 11:32 AM
AdamB is infamous around these parts
Gumball Question for those who participated

For those of you, KPV and whoever else, that participated in the Gumball last year, did you still have valid licenses at the end? I'd love to do the event in a year or so, but I'm just curious as to how many tickets you all got and what on earth you did about the numerous points that probably transfered to your home state. I know if you get 2 or 3 tickets for anything over 15 mph in most states that'll equal suspension for 6 months-1 year. Being without a license for a year is not at all a worthwhile price of admission.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
I got two tickets!!! Did not pay either since they were out of state.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 AM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Duane
I got two tickets!!! Did not pay either since they were out of state.
Must be states you don't plan on visiting. From what I know they will have an arrest warrant for you in those states for not paying the tickets.

-Awais

Old 11-11-2003, 11:47 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Adam,
Duane and Fred were in 2003 GB. I was in 2002 GB. I received two tickets, one in Arizona and one in Nevada (I think?). THe Arizona one was weird. Another motorist called the police and reported my car number. THey set up a road block for me as I entered I40 from the Grand Canyon. I contested the charge under the assumption the reporting motorist was a transient on vacation. The charge was dropped. THe other ticket, the cop was following me while I was doing 130mph. He was too far back to get accurate info on my car but when I slowed to 75 mph, he finally caught up and wrote me for 75mph in a 70mph. I know, it is ridiculous. Meanwhile my partner was out of the car filming the entire interaction with the cop. I mailed in payment for that one.

If you do this year's you will be in Europe. That means you will be in multiple countries. Who know what the repercussions can be? In general, if you are cavalier about the whole thing, you will get alot of tickets. If you exercise some common sense and don't drive like a bafoon, you may get away with 0.

I was considering the Europe Gumball, but with overseas shipping of the car, scheduling, coordination, etc., etc. it is a PITA.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:57 AM
NYSEGuy is infamous around these parts
Duane? What states were those in? I'm in the Player's Run this year and from what I hear, you can get away with not paying for the states that dont report to Fl, but the ones that do, transfer. I'd love to know which states dont report.

Ed

Old 11-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Cali and Arizona

Old 11-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
This worked in my favor. I lived in CA for 10 years moved to AZ for 2 years, recieved a new DL there (Exp 2037, also no tickets) Moved back to CA and recieved 4 tickets in the past 2 years. I just recently had to get a CA DL for financing purposes. My AZ DL is still valid... My Insurance company has me down for an AZ DL. Which has a clean record. I get a good Driver Discount! I guess in these circumstances It worked out.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
If you guys have ties to other countries, get a driver's licence in another country and apply for an international driver's licence. Before getting my California D/L, I used my Hong Kong one with an international driver's licence from AAA.

I remember the cops would get pissed when they pulled me over b/c they knew they couldn't do crap and I wouldn't pay or care about the ticket.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
I thought that the Gumball was in Europe, do they switch off between the US and Europe every year?

Old 11-11-2003, 04:48 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
It is in Europe next year...so worst thing about a ticket should be the fine for littering when you throw it out the window

Old 11-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Nice garage MJ123.

What car did you take to gumball? What was the most popular car at gumball? Were there any Enzo's at gumball?

Old 11-11-2003, 05:18 PM
AdamB is infamous around these parts
LOL. I think it might almost be worthwhile to buy a car in Europe for the Gumball. Then just sell it abroad. hmm, I wonder if I could do a European delivery on the Gallardo I was considering ordering and enter that in the Gumball.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
Drove the TT. Even in stock form, faster than 95% of the cars in the rally. No Enzos, maybe next yr. Thinking the same about Gallardo delivery but haven't decided yet.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I drove for a few years on an international license with slightly different spelling of my name in the US and tickets were meaningless as I can always get a new license with a new name and the old one was not linked to my social or anything...Ideal for US Gumball

Old 11-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
If you go to Europe take lots of cash for fines.

Most euro police (France, Belgium, Germany etc) have on the spot cash fines for speeding. If you do not have the cash (and in some cases they accept credit cards) they will take you to the bank (no kidding) or will hold your car until the fine is paid.

I got stopped in Belgium coming back from driving Spa in June and was fined the equivalent of $400 on the spot for doing 160kph in an 80kph limit. We just paid and carried on.

The highest fines from previous european Gumballs were one driver fined over $20,000 in Germany for one incident doing nearly 200mph on the hard shoulder of an autobahn. Another driver was fined about $10,000 in France and paid by Visa to continue in the race. Both these incidents were captured on the Gumball videos and are 100% genuine.

They will also often march you to jail for a few hours to scare you for a while, before releasing you. This happened to a mate of mine caught at 180mph in France.

They use radar and also calculate speeds between the toll-booths on the autoroutes in France. If you are found with a detector they will also fine you and make you drive over it to crush it.

They also dislike English/Americans very much, so make it worse for us.......

Guy