996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Originally posted by NC Bob
Ruiner,
Upsolute installed February '04 with approx 15K miles added since then (28K total). To date, no CELs, no misfires, no hesitations and running the original MAF. In addition to the Upsolute, I'm running Bailey DVs, B&B exhaust w/ 100 cell cats, and EVO intake. The car just screams and so do I.

What are Bailey DVs?
Im new at this

Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by WyattTT
What are Bailey DVs?
Im new at this
DV = Diverter valves. Think of them as "blow off valves" that vent back into the intake rather than to the atmosphere. The stock diverter valves aren't worth crap.

I have the Bailey DVs and they hold boost very well.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 AM
EZ1
EZ1 is infamous around these parts
Is it worth considering chip and is it practical when am no way near an Upsolute dealer,as in regard to installation and any possible gliches.Have tried contacting Upsolute,so far no response so not sure how to go about,have 03tt stock,located in the Middle East.Thanks

Old 09-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
The stage 1 is proven and fuss free... try contacting Rene directly... Rene Berube <rberube@upsolute.com>... he runs the USA Upsolute... or, try a country closer to you.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:28 AM
EZ1
EZ1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Stephen,so basically would ship ECU to them and thats it?Any other thoughts as far as any other mods required or is really as simple as that,chip and go?

Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by EZ1
Thanks Stephen,so basically would ship ECU to them and thats it?Any other thoughts as far as any other mods required or is really as simple as that,chip and go?
I'd get a more free-flowing exhaust if I was you. That will help to maximize the gains from the chip by allowing for quicker spool time on the turbos given the reduced back pressure.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 AM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
I think the only difference in Stage I and Stage II is the exhaust. The program is the same?

Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned
Stage I programming is for the stock K16 turbos... exhaust or no exhaust, it will optimize and learn. To take advantage of it, you should get an exhaust. The software for Stage I performs perfectly.

Stage II requires turbo upgrades. It runs well, thought occassionally, you will run into the ABS/PSM light... you simply need to restart the car or reset via obdII port. This phenom is not only isolated to Upsolute... other tuners have experienced this on occassions as well. It's not of concern, just some sort of code in the native software that occassionally gets triggered. I do not know what the cause of the trigger is, but it happens only occassionally. Performance isn't affected, and when I datalog, the AF ratios are spot on.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:05 PM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
Hey Stephen, does stage 2 apply to the stock x-50 car, ie) K24's?

Old 09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned
Hey Jay... you'd have to check with Rene on that. Boost is boost, and it doesn't care what kind of turbo it comes from. Sure, boost curves, temp, etc. may be a little different, but any good closed loop ecu, which the Bosch is, would be able to fine-tune on its own, whether it's 1.2BAR from my hybrids or your K24's. The key is that whatever parameters/variable the setup may experience, that it is also covered in the allowable range of each parameter. Of course, there are other tuners that have specifically tuned for the K24. Wish I had a quickie answer, but I'd recommend checking with Upsolute.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:02 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen,
The one thing you are leaving out when you are talking about this is volume. Therefore 1.2 bar may be 1.2 bar but the delta between volume can vary greatly. My turbos at 1 bar create more air (volume) than yours or K24s. Therefore the map would not be able to adjust that much. Hence the packages. For example, I tested some k24s at 1 bar and K16s. The car made more power at lower boost levels with the k24s(with volume). However both at the same 1 bar setting the k24s on the program that was running the k16s ran way too lean. So, it had to be changed. People need to be aware boost is truly one half of the equation.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Stephen,
The one thing you are leaving out when you are talking about this is volume. Therefore 1.2 bar may be 1.2 bar but the delta between volume can vary greatly. My turbos at 1 bar create more air (volume) than yours or K24s. Therefore the map would not be able to adjust that much. Hence the packages. For example, I tested some k24s at 1 bar and K16s. The car made more power at lower boost levels with the k24s(with volume). However both at the same 1 bar setting the k24s on the program that was running the k16s ran way too lean. So, it had to be changed. People need to be aware boost is truly one half of the equation.
Is the reason for the greater CFM mainly due to the bigger, less restrictive turbo hot side of your turbos, or a less restrictive intake ducting? It would seem that the exhaust back pressure on the K16 hybrids would be very high.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned
You are correct, Stephen... for a given program, you definitely want to make sure you pick turbos that you are in the heart of the compressor map for safe and maximum gains at the specified boost . Hence, I should have qualified my statement that the Stage II programming should be matched with turbos that are built to run those boosts. After that, some turbos will make more power and/or be more efficient than others, but generally, the programming should will work with turbos that are made for those boost levels. But, if my turbos, the K24's, and your turbos are all in the meat of their compressor maps at a given boost, the closed loop programming should be able to learn on it's own closed loop. The compressor maps of K16s and K24's probalby don't share too much of their sweet spots, hence using the same program for both doesn't make sense. At 1.1BAR, I don't think I'll have any problems keeping up with anyone elses's 1.1BAR setup. I've run with Evo Stage IV's no probs.

Last edited by StephenTi; 09-28-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned
Originally posted by ebaker
Is the reason for the greater CFM mainly due to the bigger, less restrictive turbo hot side of your turbos, or a less restrictive intake ducting? It would seem that the exhaust back pressure on the K16 hybrids would be very high.
Even though the K16 turbine wheels are 2mm smaller than the K24, the housing is 20% larger in A/R. So, the flow is actually faster than the K24 housing. Additionally, porting that was done matches the inlet dimensions of the K24s, but since the housing is tighter, the air is compressed more, resulting in higher velocity; that results in aggresive spoolup of K16 while better flow than K24. The flow is actually faster than the K24 housing.

There is more backpressure but Kevin relieved it through the aforementioned porting. The folks that are running the Garretts and the ball-bearing units have an even tighter A/R and smaller Twheel.

As for the compressor side, if you take the difference between the K16 to K24, and double it, that's about the size of my hybrid cold side. I also have the CNC Billet backplate, which provide stability for the sealing rings and thrust bearing and thrust stack.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:20 AM
NC Bob is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by StephenTi

As for the compressor side, if you take the difference between the K16 to K24, and double it, that's about the size of my hybrid cold side. I also have the CNC Billet backplate, which provide stability for the sealing rings and thrust bearing and thrust stack.
Do you have pics of these hybrids available?
TIA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upsolute Chips