996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by MARKSKI
If I may add..... cars that produce power on the dyno may not perform as well on the street..
Go to the track.... do 5 runs... and take ur best run and post it. THATS HOW FAST UR CAR IS- PERIOD.
Bingo!

Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by cjv
Jean,

I can't speak for Alex, but I use to post both the good and the bad times after different changes. The BS and Hateraid resulted in no more time reports on my behalf. Believe me, I'm not the only one with a fast 996tt who feels this way.
Chad, it's obviously up to you whether or not you reveal any hard performance data (like timeslips, circuit lap times or dyno results). Having said that, I've never seen any hard data on your car at all.

If you want to be part of the community and be highly visible with your posts then you also have to expect that people will want to see some sort of results.

You say you have a fast 996TT .. but you don't want to back that up at all. Right now you don't have a fast 996TT. In fact it doesn't even run as far as I can tell.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Jean
Wow! All those years of Manthey racing experience and compared to a bottle with a regulator . You are right Chad, our opinions defer hugely, but it does not matter. I hope I was never disrespectful to you.

I don't really understand the "not sharing numbers" philosophy, you post them and let people think what they want, or let them come and race you, simple. A video like the ZX12 one is amazing, but I cannot understand how fast unless I can see numbers that's all.

Cheers.
Thanks Blonde.

The point I was attempting to make was a 550 Ruf or better yet a 550 Manthey isn't 550 hp as we know it. They are using a different scale. Put the same car on one of our two wheel or 4 wheel dyno's over here and you can make a comparison. Otherwise, the two numbers don't mean a thing other than the car is fast.

Now take NOS. Give a fifty shot and look at how many ponies develope. I hope this better explains what I was attempting to convey.

As for how fast Alex's car is? I believe he said mid 9's (9.3 to 9.7 I would guess it to mean) in the low 160's. Or maybe, this is what he is hoping for on a good run. If he posts a high 9 or low ten in the 150's (which I fully believe he can accomplish) does that mean his car isn't fast? Heck, with the sound system he has installed that would still be faster than KA was right before she bent all her rods.

Do you remember the first Car and Driver Shootout with the Autothority 996tt and Lingenfelder? Some pretty fast car! I believe the best quarter mile times for the day were in the mid elevens. I know the cars were good for far more than mid elevens. I chaulked it up to the conditions for the day. My point is how can you ever get a good comparison?

Last edited by cjv; 10-24-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv

Heck, with the sound system he has installed that would still be faster than KA was right before she bent all her rods.
I certainly hope so CJV! or Todd K. would have retired in Bahamas hacking computers around the world instead of building turbos.
Originally posted by cjv
I chaulked it up to the conditions for the day. My point is how can you ever get a good comparison? .
We are going around in circles, let us see some times first and then we will debate?
You can do 60-130mph and we can compare to a fairly large number of cars who have tested it, at least directionally.?

Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
its so simple... go to a controlled environment...do a few 1/4 runs... will see the 60 ft. , mph and ET.
Thats how things usually are done....
That way we all can relate to each others cars.
videos are impressive... but don't tell the whole story.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I certainly hope so CJV! or Todd K. would have retired in Bahamas hacking computers around the world instead of building turbos.
Jean, it's not like the difference was overwhelming. There were not a whole lot of 996tt's in the 140's at the time. Time marches on. It doesn't stand still for anyone. There has been several milestones broken over the last four years with these cars. I'm not sure where it is going to stop. One year is like eternity with these cars. Today's news becomes old news rather fast.

As for Todd, I have the upmost respect for his abilities. However, here again different people take and/or exchange the lead. I used Protomotive for almost two years constantly tuning KA. My ECU back and forth at least a half a dozen times. I'll let you in on a little secret ........ over that time period they were never able to eliminate the 1.3 bar ECU shutdown even though they were suppose to be able to do it. GIAC cracked this milestone while others were still rying to figure it out. I know fro experience. Again I'm not taking anything away from Todd. The lead just may have changed hands back into his cornor with Alex's car.

Last edited by cjv; 10-25-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by cjv
Jean,

I do know a little bit about his motor and knowing his connections with NOS and therefore what is available to him makes my guess of power on tap to be between 890 and 940 rwhp. But then again who is to say I know anything. I may not know exactly how much power he is really making, but then I will find out how he stacks up against KA. I'm sure he is a little curious also. I understand he paid a little visit to S Car Go Racing this week.
CJV-
Alexander says "Hello". Please note that none of posted video runs used NOS. He did drop by S-Car-Go last week to say "hi" to the guys and to ascertain that your vehicle is going to be ready in November (Since he is facilitating Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the entire track, for a day of frolicking). One of the mechanics at the shop did mention to him that it would probably be next year until your car would be together??
As for Alexander's AWHP.....the numbers are in the four digits!

Last edited by ChrisChow; 10-25-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ChrisChow
(they are in the four digits!)
Chris... by "they", which car are you referring to?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:43 AM
cjv
Originally posted by ChrisChow
CJV-
Alexander says "Hello". Please note that none of posted video runs used NOS. He did drop by S-Car-Go last week to say "hi" to the guys and to ascertain that your vehicle is going to be ready in November (Since he is facilitating Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the entire track, for a day of frolicking). One of the mechanics at the shop did mention to him that it would probably be next year until your car would be together??
As for Alexander's AWHP.....the numbers are in the four digits!

Chris, the guys said they were glade to see Alex, although he missed Rob because Rob was with a customer. I understand Alex is coming back on Monday to see him for lunch.

Next year ....... KA would be late for the 12/3 party! I don't believe that will happen. But then again, they have missed dead lines before. Given the fact they have had the car for twenty months .......... what's a couple more months. Didn't Todd at Protomotive have Alex's car for almost as long?

Congraduation on the four digit awhp. Given a 25% drivetrain loss that would put you guys around 1,250 hp at the crank. That's more than I anticipated. Now I know you guys are using some very very large turbo's.

Last edited by cjv; 10-25-2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv

Next year ....... KA would be late for the 12/3 party! I don't believe that will happen. But then again, they have missed dead lines before. ........
..........1,250 hp at the crank.
CJV, so you find out through a forum that your car wouldn't be ready in November? Isn't that a bit...I don't know....upsetting?

A chassis dyno might have said 1250hp (converted to fwhp), but I don't believe Todd K. would agree to those numbers (just speculating here).

Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
cjv
CJV, so you find out through a forum that your car wouldn't be ready in November? Isn't that a bit...I don't know....upsetting?

A chassis dyno might have said 1250hp (converted to fwhp), but I don't believe Todd K. would agree to those numbers (just speculating here).

Jean, the above is an excellent example of why myself and others don't post numbers. Keep trying.

I really don't fuss over such trivial matters in my life.

Last edited by cjv; 10-25-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 AM
CJV, thanks, I think I will give up trying for now, you have way much more breath than I do

In all honesty, I truly admire your patience, after 20 months, you just find out that you will not be able to run against Alex's car in November as it was expeced, or attend the December event, and it does not even seem to get to you.. "Chapeau Bas" they say in Frenchie, my respects.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
cjv
CJV, thanks, I think I will give up trying for now, you have way much more breath than I do

In all honesty, I truly admire your patience, after 20 months, you just find out that you will not be able to run against Alex's car in November as it was expeced, or attend the December event, and it does not even seem to get to you.. "Chapeau Bas" they say in Frenchie, my respects.
Jean,

I didn't "just" find out. If you read the cjv/s car go thread in the Tuning/Modifications Forum you will see KA was suppose to be ready since February 05. There has been many things that have caused delays since then. There has probably been five dates that have come and gone due to different circumstances. Are you aware Protomotive had Alex's car since the last Shootout? These types of motors take time.

I understand the internals on KA are on a very different degree than Alex's motor. We have had many ups and downs. I have discovered on projects like this it simply doesn't do any good to get excited and rush things. That would only mess things up in the long run. Do you realize this motor has very few original 996tt parts. Hopefully this will be an improvement. S Car Go Racing is doing a very good job under the circumstances.

S Car Go Racing isn't the only company currently having problems making the dates with this project. You recall BMC? I believe you recommended Brian to me before I informed you he was already doing some of my work. They have a very technical tranny and LSD's which they are making parts and performing the assembly. They have been doing this work for over two months and we don't expect to see the finished product until November 16th. Yes, they too have had a few delays.

Last edited by cjv; 10-25-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I think KA is just a figment in CJV's mind, it really doesn't exist!

Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM
cjv
Originally posted by buddyg
I think KA is just a figment in CJV's mind, it really doesn't exist!

There you go ................ thinking again!!! I thought your doctor gave you strick instructions not to do that anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again