996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ChrisChow
Hamann7 Alex and Alex are friends and will not run each other...
Yes, I know they are friends, as I know Sharky and I have met Alex at the first Shootout. I don't see the harm in a friendly race, however...

I bet the quarter might be close. But from a roll-on, I'm thinking the Protomotive car has the advantage. Small hot sides are a limiting factor...

Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
cjv-
The only dyno sheet released shows 862.8hp@1.327bar. Alex is not posting the 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.216bar dyno sheets at this time... How is your turbo project coming along?

FerrariSlave-
Here are some more videos:
http://www.rogerver.com/images/Cobra...che%20%231.MP4

http://www.rogerver.com/images/Cobra...che%20%232.MP4

http://www.rogerver.com/images/Cobra...che%20%233.MP4

http://www.rogerver.com/images/Cobra...orsche%202.MP4

http://www.rogerver.com/images/Cobra...%20porsche.MP4

-enjoy

Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The winner of Alex VS CJV can race Alex

Alex Vs Alex has taken place behind closed doors due to the competitive nature of the two and being forced to run naked the video has been given an R rating... Besides we only race on vacuum.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
the protomotive just flies in the vids. once the turbos spool it just runs and runs. amazing!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Ahhhh.. ok that goes back some time!! How about the loser of Alex Vs Chad has to buy the owners car

Old 10-05-2005, 07:45 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Hey Shark, howsit bro? Hey the video link isnt working for me, gotta see that.......

Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ChrisChow
862.8hp@1.327bar. Alex is not posting the 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.216bar dyno
That's crazy!!!! 2.216 BAR?!?!? Can the engine actually withstand that kind of boost even with internal work??

At 2.2 bar... that's gotta be well over 1K HP!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
crazy.....

Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Yes, it would be interesting to see a Protomotive vs. EVO comparison at the 1000hp+ level. Peak HP only means so much, and as you have pointed out, Chad, it appears as usual Protomotive is very good with creating 'area under the curve.'

This is typically where Knighton shines, as his cars make consistent HP/TQ much like Ruf cars do. I believe the difference lies in the design of the system (Protomotive's efficient intake/exhaust sytems which enable the more effective use of larger turbos) and the programming.

I still maintain it's pretty useless to have 1000hp except for drag racing.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:19 PM
pakisho is infamous around these parts
That car is

And with respect to the video where he ran some doofus in a z06, the z06 DID lift after two-three carlengths, not like it would have matter much anyway.

Chris, have you seen Rogers footage?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hamann7

I still maintain it's pretty useless to have 1000hp except for drag racing.
1000HP is good for the *****.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by sharkster
1000HP is good for the *****.
That damn *****!

I wish it would be happy with the stock 415!

Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv
The Protomotive motor based on the dyno isn't really very streetable. I don't mean that in a bad way. The torque under 5000 appears to be soft. I can see why driving around town would be very non eventfull. After 5000 it becomes a monster. The power range is limited from 5000 to approx 7000. ... I don't believe this motor would perform very well on the track coming out of most turns. You just don't have the power in the lower ranges or coming out of the cornors when I need it.

Great for the drags and top speed ........... terrible for the track and the twisties.
Let me say this to clear up some confusion. I might be your best reference to what this engine can do. My power curve is very similar to it on Protomotive's engine dyno although only shows 705hp .
My findings were that Protomotive's engine dyno readings are NOT comparable to the typical chassis dyno reading. I have done both, and used one the of the best dynos and dyno operators in the world. The brand new MAHA dyno at Manthey Racing in Germany. The operator subjected my car to hell, which is how they dyno for "real power" on the track, ABUSE, for 30 minutes.
The results were that the MAHA chassis dyno showed a curve of up to 40-50% more on low RPMs (up to 4k RPMs) vs. Protomotive's engine dynos. Todd Knighton was there watching and he was quite surprised too. What I am trying to say is that these cars are VERY drivable, much more than what the engine dyno curve can show. I hardly feel lag on my car, definitely less than with my other 540hp K24 engine.
The car is a dream to drive on the track, very smooth power delivery and plenty if requested. I drive it in 2WD mode, and still have not fitted my Guard LSD in it, I never had an issue coming out of a corner at the Nurburgring (I only reference this track because it is a good track to test a car I believe).
The only issue with my car for a daily traffic jam drive is the quite on-off clutch, that I am about to change.
Be it on the track or quartermile, these engines are a blast.
A 1000hp engine that does not take you beyond 140mph in the quarter is not a 1000hp engine, regardless what a dyno can tell you, it is just not being translated to the road.
There is a long thread on the RL 993TT forum were the chassis vs. engine dyno chart is posted and differences can be seen. I hope this kills the drivability myth.

Last edited by Jean; 10-06-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Hello Everyone-
This is Alex...I was with Chris today and he showed me around 6speedonline....I have to say it is the most ORGANIZED porsche message board that I have visited! I am very impressed with the framework and comradery of this board!
Porsches have a very special place in my heart. Out of all the performance vehicles that I have/had and driven/currently own including Ferrari F40(910hp), Lamborghini 6.0 (880hp), Carrera GT (stock), Toyota Supra (1600hp), EVO8 (est.830hp), Supercharged ZO6, 993tt (4L motor 900+hp), Hennessey Viper, and a friend modified Euro McLaren F1 etc etc...my Protomtive 996tt is at the top of the list. This car does it all...It is a daily driver that I take to the store, and on the weekends chase down a F1 at the track. What Protomoltive did is truly amazing. This car drives like a FACTORY TURBO, untill you turn up the boost. Currently, I have the car that fulfills my needs. It builds boost as low as 2550Rpms and shoots to 8000Rpm within seconds in every gear. As a friend said earlier today "some people try to shave ounces from a piston, while you add 482lb in stereo equipment". I wanted a car that does it all and does it all very well. The bottom line is that this car completes everything I wanted in a supercar at fraction of the price of my other vehicles. Under full boost, without the NOS, I believe the car will run somewhere in the high 150MPH range in the quarter mile and well over 230MPH (226 observed with 300-400rpm left to go) on the top end. The amazing thing that Protomotive was able to achive is the balance of the entire vehicle...at low speeds <140mph she drives LIKE A FACTORY CAR and a higher speeds >140mph she is easier to controll than a McLaren F1. I have had a 4.0l motor before (two to be exact) and I believe that a 3.6l is the perfect combo for this chassis. The area of attention in which I most concentrated on where the Heads and PROGRAMMING. The Heads are a one-off custom piece that where completly redesigned by the best man in the business (they flow over 368cfm). As for the programmning, hats are off to Todd at Protomotive. He has over 140 hours in tunning and the result is phenominal. Completly drivable (and not too loud), this is a car your grandmother could drive..(Thanks again Todd!!)... I did not want to have a car build that would be the quickest 996tt in the world, but if it is, so be it. I wanted a car that meets ALL of my criterias of a supercar. I am happy to share Videos with all of you (if anyone wants to drive her, let me know) and If someone out there (you know who you are!) wants to give her a run, please call me day or night, my car is ready to run today... Once again it was nice visiting this board and thanks to Chris Chow (Who has the most calumniating street driven 2000+hp GN that I have ever seen!) for giving me this opportunity to share this with all of you......and yes 1000++AWHP, usable, (no Nos) is perfect for a street car...

-Alexander

Old 10-06-2005, 02:26 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Alex first of all sick 996tt, and sick every other car you have, im jealous but hope one day iw ill make it that far haha... Throw some spare parts my way for my 996tt pleaseee

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again