996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure in which way will the taller first gear help in the quarter mile, it will actually hurt the times..!?

Just re-read, in the 60ft. it will indeed help to have a taller gear.

Last edited by Jean; 10-10-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MrBlonde
So much talk, so little action.
We're peddling as fast as we can.

Mr. Blonde, there are a few people who know me and have seen the car in operation. Those that know me know it is useless to attempt to goad me into anything. I simply don't embarress easily or maybe I'm just too old to really care.

At any rate .......... thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by cjv; 10-10-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Alex and Chad,
Both of you guys have what sounds like awesome cars. I aplaud both of you for sharring wisdom and experiences for us just starting out. Both of you seem to be guys that are confident but not cocky. I HATE COCKY! It is great to know that if one of us fellow six speeders wanted to build up a beast that either of you would be available in helping to avoid pitfalls. It aint like we are gunning for the championship of NHRA guys. There are many people on this board with very fast cars. The ones with the fastest ones and this includes Craig and Sharkey, CJV, Alex and many many more seem to be pretty cool. I like that. Someone will always have something better. However if they encourage you and keep you from making the same mistakes they have made that shows class. Rock on TT ballers and let us know if this meeting does happen. Keep it on a track guys cause life is good! Later!

Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Here is a photo of Alexander's 231MPH 6.0....

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Just an observation..
craig, sharky, cjv, and the like who have cracked open ur engines..... I really respect that....
but, on the 1/4 mile issue now.... I've been going with my TT over the last 3 years.... and no matter if i have stage 2,3,4,5...( two different tuners... different sets of turbos)) and I had them all... with all the goodies like fvd plenums, hoses, sachs clutches, boost controllers, custom intercoolers, etc.... no matter what I do.. I cant get into the 10s. Now I have a 6 speed.. unlike the guys I mentioned above....( not sure cjv)... and I still have yet to see a 6 speed currently running 10s. So I gave up trying cause this whole 10 second barrier is so close and yet so far away. How much money will it take to be in the tens on a 6 speed? at this point I think too much. Ive spent well over $60k on upgrades... and would have to spend another $25K just to (maybe) be in the tens.... At the last shoot out no one broke the tens.... and cars ranged from 550hp to 950 hp. something is wrong here...
Im considering doing my engine at IA... and swithching to the gt800 but I still have doubts that Ill do nothing under 10.9 seconds. As cjv said... 1st and 2 nd gears are useless.... it hops and hops and hops.... PSM does not help,,, so whats the use... more power is not everything.
SO I gave up for now.. bought an EVO 8 .. did a full engine build, tranny, clutch, gt35r @ 35 psi.... AUTRONIK stand alone... all for the cost of my 2 turbos , ECU, and some hoses on my TT... and guess what... I did 10.6 on street tires at 137 mph.
Porsche is great for top end.... And I still do 180 mph on my side street.... and I love it....
but the 1/4 track.. Ill stick to something cheap and very fast...
just my thoughts.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-11-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:42 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
You are working from the wrong platform if you want max time in the quarter mile. Buy a 68 Camaro with a big block and you can run 10's all day long and very easily get in the 9's. Or buy a Viper those run 9's all the time.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by cjv
We're peddling as fast as we can.

Mr. Blonde, there are a few people who know me and have seen the car in operation. Those that know me know it is useless to attempt to goad me into anything. I simply don't embarress easily or maybe I'm just too old to really care.

At any rate .......... thanks for the kind words.
I understand that you're peddling as fast as you can (well with lots of backtracking, second guessing yourself and a never ending pursuit of perfection!). But you're also talking a lot, but with nothing to show!

I suggest you refrain from boasting and just come out and show everyone once you're done.

Last edited by cjv; 10-11-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:23 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MARKSKI
Just an observation..
craig, sharky, cjv, and the like who have cracked open ur engines..... I really respect that....
but, on the 1/4 mile issue now.... I've been going with my TT over the last 3 years.... and no matter if i have stage 2,3,4,5...( two different tuners... different sets of turbos)) and I had them all... with all the goodies like fvd plenums, hoses, sachs clutches, boost controllers, custom intercoolers, etc.... no matter what I do.. I cant get into the 10s. Now I have a 6 speed.. unlike the guys I mentioned above....( not sure cjv)... and I still have yet to see a 6 speed currently running 10s. So I gave up trying cause this whole 10 second barrier is so close and yet so far away. How much money will it take to be in the tens on a 6 speed? at this point I think too much. Ive spent well over $60k on upgrades... and would have to spend another $25K just to (maybe) be in the tens.... At the last shoot out no one broke the tens.... and cars ranged from 550hp to 950 hp. something is wrong here...
Im considering doing my engine at IA... and swithching to the gt800 but I still have doubts that Ill do nothing under 10.9 seconds. As cjv said... 1st and 2 nd gears are useless.... it hops and hops and hops.... PSM does not help,,, so whats the use... more power is not everything.
SO I gave up for now.. bought an EVO 8 .. did a full engine build, tranny, clutch, gt35r @ 35 psi.... AUTRONIK stand alone... all for the cost of my 2 turbos , ECU, and some hoses on my TT... and guess what... I did 10.6 on street tires at 137 mph.
Porsche is great for top end.... And I still do 180 mph on my side street.... and I love it....
just my thoughts.
MARKSKI,

The basic secret is heads/valves (porting, polishing and enlarging valves or GT3 heads) and larger turbo's. Yes, you will have to change your programming and fuel delivery.

In a way this makes me chuckle. A few years ago most people couldn't understand why the Ruf motors made better torque. Eventually it was learned it had to do with the larger intake from the air filter to the turbo's.

My how things have progressed.

Last edited by cjv; 10-11-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ChrisChow
Here is a photo of Alexander's 231MPH 6.0....
Show me the AMPS!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Just an observation..
just my thoughts.
MARKSKI,

CJV is correct, the secret is in the Heads as well as the programming...Alexander's car has no problem running mid 9's and he has a 6 speed...

Last edited by ChrisChow; 10-11-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
silver,

Don't get the wrong impression. Alex is a great guy. A very genereous guy. He has had a stable of outrageous cars past and present. You ought to see his lambo , it is very fast and great looking. He loves good Cuban cigars. Alex is the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back. His gf is also drop dead beautiful.

sharkster, well shakster is just being sharkster. He is having fun. sharkster is another guy who would give you the shirt off his back. Just don't ask him for his pants.

We all live in the SF Bay Area, have gone to Infineron together, I've been to S Car Go's yearly party with Alex and he gave me a ride home when I had a little too much to drink. We are all very competitive and have the upmost respect for each other.

I believe Alex said it best earlier on. There was part one (many of you don't know about) and then there was part two. He lost part one and came back to win part two. I believe that attitude sums up the spirit of these people, it's nice to win, however when we don't there will always be another day. And payback is always sweet.
What's wrong with my pants dammit!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Im considering doing my engine at IA... and swithching to the gt800
A very good course of action. As you know, IA did my rebuild and I am using the GT800 turbos.

The key to fast 1/4 times with a 6 Speed probably lies in tranny work. You might want to consider modifiying the gears in conjunction with an IA/GT800 package -- that should produce better than a 10.9. Im sure the Doctor could help you with that as well.

Good luck!

Craig

Old 10-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
thanks for all the input.... Looks like an engine job at the least is required.... because I just don't see our very heavy cars doing tens at 1.3 bars on a six speed.
.. and 1st & 2nd is useless to say the least.
thanks again.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Going off topic I know, but since Evos have been mentioned and 9sec I thought you might be interested.

There are loads of tuned Evos here in the UK, as obviously rallying is a huge UK sport and many of the works teams are based here. Anyway this is the latest demo car from one of the UK street-tuners:

This car is a shortened, roof-lowered, lightened 840bhp monster, fully street-legal. It had it's first shakedown runs yesterday and running Avon street tires (not drag tires) ran 9.7 seconds 1/4 mile .......

Spec is copied below from another forum.......

Believing that the only way Evo performance can take a big step forward is with drastic weight loss, Norris Designs have built an Evo that should weigh in at just 1080kg. With a power to weight ratio of nearly 800bhp per ton it's almost 300bhp per ton more powerful than the old Norris Design Evo 7 demo car!!

To build an Evo this light has meant the car has undergone some major weight loss and incredible engineering, including a substantial amount of the bodyshell being removed to make the car shorter and lower. In fact it is 10inches shorter and 3inches lower than a standard Evo 9 shell. With the shell customised this much, the rear doors have been removed creating the world's first Short Wheelbase 2-Door Evo....

ND Evo 9 SWB - Basic Spec List:

Power
841Hp & 635LbFt (Klotz 118 Race Fuel)
Target weight 1080Kg (Dry)
Target top speed: 215 Mph+
Target ¼ mile: Sub 9 seconds

Engine, Gearbox, ECU & Brakes
ND 2.3 litre stoker
Garrett GT42R roller bearing turbo
ND 4” WRC style custom exhaust system with side exit
Motec M800 Pro ECU
Holinger dog engagement straight cut gearkit
Ikeya sequential shifter with digital gear indicator
Brembo 8 pot metal matrix calipers front & rear

Body
Acid dipped custom 2 door short wheelbase low roof Evolution 9 shell
Custom T45 full weld in load bearing roll cage
Custom air jack tyre changing system

Interior/Exterior
Carbon everywhere!

Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Guy
Going off topic I know, but since Evos have been mentioned and 9sec I thought you might be interested.

There are loads of tuned Evos here in the UK, as obviously rallying is a huge UK sport and many of the works teams are based here. Anyway this is the latest demo car from one of the UK street-tuners:

This car is a shortened, roof-lowered, lightened 840bhp monster, fully street-legal. It had it's first shakedown runs yesterday and running Avon street tires (not drag tires) ran 9.7 seconds 1/4 mile .......

Spec is copied below from another forum.......

Believing that the only way Evo performance can take a big step forward is with drastic weight loss, Norris Designs have built an Evo that should weigh in at just 1080kg. With a power to weight ratio of nearly 800bhp per ton it's almost 300bhp per ton more powerful than the old Norris Design Evo 7 demo car!!

To build an Evo this light has meant the car has undergone some major weight loss and incredible engineering, including a substantial amount of the bodyshell being removed to make the car shorter and lower. In fact it is 10inches shorter and 3inches lower than a standard Evo 9 shell. With the shell customised this much, the rear doors have been removed creating the world's first Short Wheelbase 2-Door Evo....

ND Evo 9 SWB - Basic Spec List:

Power
841Hp & 635LbFt (Klotz 118 Race Fuel)
Target weight 1080Kg (Dry)
Target top speed: 215 Mph+
Target ¼ mile: Sub 9 seconds

Engine, Gearbox, ECU & Brakes
ND 2.3 litre stoker
Garrett GT42R roller bearing turbo
ND 4” WRC style custom exhaust system with side exit
Motec M800 Pro ECU
Holinger dog engagement straight cut gearkit
Ikeya sequential shifter with digital gear indicator
Brembo 8 pot metal matrix calipers front & rear

Body
Acid dipped custom 2 door short wheelbase low roof Evolution 9 shell
Custom T45 full weld in load bearing roll cage
Custom air jack tyre changing system

Interior/Exterior
Carbon everywhere!
Just guessing of course, but I don´t think it would make a good daily driver...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again