996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
INVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud ofINVICTO has much to be proud of
Tranny

Has any one put a race sequential gearbox in their modded street tt, like from the GT3RS?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by cjv
Mr. Blonde,

In all due respect, you're comment is a paradox. I have run some very fast quarter miles and gathered a few TTD's. I just haven't "boasted" the times. Yes, I do boast that she is very fast. Am I missing something?

I have been with the 996tt's since the days that 500 hp was "The Holy Grail." I have watched the 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1000 hp milestones come and go. For the most part we have been instrumental in many of the advances. Lots of backtracking, second guessing and a the never ending pursuit of perfection unfortunately comes with the turf. My friend Tyson sumed it up perfectly a few years ago when when he used the term "hateraid." People will ask for times, complain about the times, say the times were photo shopped, complain about the money that was spent getting the car to where it is, etc. Is it any surprise that I have refrained from posting times?

She is very fast, others have seen her perform. It just isn't important to me to reduce it to the numbers. Why is it bothering you? We have never turned down a legitimate contest with a street legal 996tt, Viper or Supra over here. And if it makes you feel any better, we have lost twice.

The above in no way is to be interpeted as ill will towards you. Hopefully, you will better understand my thinking and respect it if nothing else (note I didn't say agree with it.)
Chad, I don't think I expressed myself clearly above. I love to read about the engineering and research that you and others are doing. Pushing the envelope with any late model car isn't easy and takes plenty of time and money.

What I am referring to is the performance claims. I am sure your car will run fantastic times on circuits and drag strips when it is finished.

All I am saying is that, until it is finished and runs the numbers, maybe it's better to refrain from boasting.

If you have great drag strip numbers from previous passes, then I have never seen them. I have never seen any hard numbers about your project at all. None. No timeslips, dyno sheets. Nothing. I'm sure you've got your reasons and I respect that. However I can't understand the secrecy AND the boasting at the same time!

No offence meant and none taken .. just don't get it is all.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Invicto, that's a $30-40k or so investment. There are other sequential shifters (just the shifter, not the gearbox) that have nothing to do with this one, that cost around $4k (Cartronic) and will help somewhat with times, you keep your clutch, those would get you maybe 1-2/10th across the quartermile (3-4shifts).

Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 AM
TT993 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MrBlonde
Chad, I don't think I expressed myself clearly above. I love to read about the engineering and research that you and others are doing. Pushing the envelope with any late model car isn't easy and takes plenty of time and money.

What I am referring to is the performance claims. I am sure your car will run fantastic times on circuits and drag strips when it is finished.

All I am saying is that, until it is finished and runs the numbers, maybe it's better to refrain from boasting.

If you have great drag strip numbers from previous passes, then I have never seen them. I have never seen any hard numbers about your project at all. None. No timeslips, dyno sheets. Nothing. I'm sure you've got your reasons and I respect that. However I can't understand the secrecy AND the boasting at the same time!

No offence meant and none taken .. just don't get it is all.
I think the term is bench racing.
Some people just like to talk on internet msg boards about what there car can do, while others actually go out and do it.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Al I know is that even at these shootouts ..the tuners can't get into the 10s....
a 10 sec. car is a 10 sec. car. I stilll have yet to see a "OUT of the box" package that will produce 10s on a manual gear box.... consistantly.
just my opinion.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-12-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:14 PM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
10's in the 1/4

Marski, You're pretty funny. It's really not that hard, you just have to be able to DRIVE the car there...
These cars are pretty wierd to drive. With all the electronics on board, and E Throttle.
I've seen many a time slip coming from Bobby in Oklahoma with a simple ecu upgrade, muffler, k24 motorsport turbo's and a clutch run 10.5's with 1.4 second 60 foot times. All for about a 10-15k upgrade and sub 600hp at the crank.
I really want him to fly out and drive Alex's car. We've been in the 10's for a while now. I wan't to see him run 9's in Alex's

Old 10-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Markski,

Protomotive was not at the last Shootout.

They can indeed make a 10 second car... though their packages are not "out of the box." Then again, what does out of the box mean anyway?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruf's new 3.8TT motor can do 10's either on the right tires.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MARKSKI
Al I know is that even at these shootouts ..the tuners can't get into the 10s....
a 10 sec. car is a 10 sec. car. I stilll have yet to see a "OUT of the box" package that will produce 10s on a manual gear box.... consistantly.
just my opinion.
Having a car that's set up and aligned for a road course, running unaltered wheels (no knurled bead, no beadlocks), and Toyo RA1's (not drag slicks) and spinning the wheels inside the tires on the drag strip might have something to do with that. I think if the same cars at the last shootout were set up with wheels, tires and alignment for the strip, you'd have seen completely different results. Comparing cars that are set up for strip times VS cars like these that can do it all is a case of apples and oranges, IMO.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Question

Originally posted by cjv
Chris,

Are you able to say what turbo shells are being used on the hot and compressor sides? I'd also like to know what internals are being used but that really isn't important.

The reason I ask is after reviewing the dyno sheet and the way the motor makes torque from 5000 rpm's to 7500 rpm's I have a good idea. Just trying to see how close I really am.
CJV-
Are you referring to the turbos that he used at that perticular dyno session or the set that are on his car currently?? BTW what is you guess to the setup he used at the dyno session?

Old 10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
Markski,

Protomotive was not at the last Shootout.
I know.. and they apparently did 10.7 sec. 3 years ago at the 1st shootout. but since then... nothing has come up. Ive had 2 programs and two different turbos... and every bolt on from clutches to intakes and fvd plenums.... etc... and still nothing. Ive had over 60 passes at the tarck.. and I do 11.5s. Ihad a simple satge3 with k24s race.... and I was in the 11s.
I currently have Kevins stage 5s.... I realized that most tuners have a very similar package they sell... stage 3, 4 , GT or what ever.... and they are are very similar... thet all are from 550 hp to 700 hp crank. and yet none will do 10s at the track.
My question is why?
Im not refering to unique one offs like sharkys' or the like...nor am I refering to anyone with a built engine.
Is there a package that will do 10s at the track on a manual gear box with a competatnt driver?
I had Marco from chicago.. my friend who has the white 8 second Supra... drive my car.... and he had an awefull time. I had my EVO 8 tuner( his evo is also a 8 second car) drive my TT at the tarck.... and he had problems as well. So anyone sayng that I dont know how to drive... hmmmmm. tell that to Marco.
I have a low 10 second car in my garage.. so I know how the TT should pull.. but it doesnt.
Also, all these packages except the gt700 and up have a throttle body cut off at 1.3 bars. How are u supposed to do 10s at 20 psi with out engine build out. I dont see it. this is just my observation after thousands of dollars spent( mostly in a good way)....

click to view

Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally posted by Super D
Having a car that's set up and aligned for a road course, running unaltered wheels (no knurled bead, no beadlocks), and Toyo RA1's (not drag slicks) and spinning the wheels inside the tires on the drag strip might have something to do with that. I think if the same cars at the last shootout were set up with wheels, tires and alignment for the strip, you'd have seen completely different results. Comparing cars that are set up for strip times VS cars like these that can do it all is a case of apples and oranges, IMO.
I agree... but I have a car that is set up for track and also does 10.6s on street tires. sorry but after so many years and 3 TT ... I think the truth needs to come out.
many excuses.... like the set up... the clutch blew... the turbos broke.... and yet nothing. A goog drag radial liek the MPSC should suffice.. and yet it only brought me 11.5s. I went to the 19s and I did 11.7s... thats only .2 seconds of a difference.
Either these cars have the HP but cant put it to the ground... or simply dont perform as well as they say they do. Maybe the power curves after all do matter...
Im not trying to start a war.. I respect all of you guys... after all Ive put $60K into mine as well... but this $$$ to power ratio or better yet $$$$ to performance ratio is not equal.
just my honest opinion.
Just to clarify things: running form a roll or aa 60 mph cruise is a WHOLE different story.. cause thats when it comes alive.

click to view

Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Mark, if you wanted a 10-sec. car, why didn't you just try Protomotive?

I do believe that my ex-Turbo was a bona fide 10-second car, and now you have Alex's car which can apparently run 9's.

The "area under the curve" is perhaps what you are missing. Looks like you have tried every tuning approach but the right one.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Re: 10's in the 1/4

Originally posted by TRK
Marski, You're pretty funny. It's really not that hard, you just have to be able to DRIVE the car there...
These cars are pretty wierd to drive. With all the electronics on board, and E Throttle.
I've seen many a time slip coming from Bobby in Oklahoma with a simple ecu upgrade, muffler, k24 motorsport turbo's and a clutch run 10.5's with 1.4 second 60 foot times. All for about a 10-15k upgrade and sub 600hp at the crank.
I really want him to fly out and drive Alex's car. We've been in the 10's for a while now. I wan't to see him run 9's in Alex's
I know alex and I know exactly what he has. a full built engine with gt800 turbos and a hybrid ECU for 28 psi.
Im not talking about that. cause I can very easily do the same.
TRK, u say Im funny... well show a TT with a simple ecu and k24s do mid tens.. and Ill give you $10K.. the amount need to do 10s according to you.
BTW, Sharky with his gt800 doesnt get 1.4s 60 foot.. how the hell ur friend Bobby does with 540 crank HP.
Do you here what ur r saying.... do u know that only one car to date( the protomotive 3 years ago did 10.7s) at the shoot out. the other is a tip which Im not considering in this discussion and its alex'(sharky). He did , BTW 10.9 on a stock eingine. and from last posts.. a 10.6 with the new engine build... and now he is probably faster.
Buddyg had 586 HP to the wheels 2 years ago and he did 11.3 sec. at the shootout.
Look, If ur buddy does 10s on simple k24s( which I had)... get me the tuner cause I wan that.. and so will everyone else. Cause to be that fast with a TT you need $15 k to rebuild the engine alone.. and at least another $25K for the tuning set up.

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-12-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally posted by Hamann7
Mark, if you wanted a 10-sec. car, why didn't you just try Protomotive?

I do believe that my ex-Turbo was a bona fide 10-second car, and now you have Alex's car which can apparently run 9's.

The "area under the curve" is perhaps what you are missing. Looks like you have tried every tuning approach but the right one.
I agree... and I realized that to have a 10 second car.. you need a one off approach... not some package you buy thinking its going to do 10s. But I live in Chicago and you guys in CA... If I lived in CALI then YES. I couldnt take a chance on having something go wrong, like tuning adjustments... CALi is too far. SO I apted for a " out of a box" approach with bolt ons and a general tuning ecu for all.
I was so disappointed that no one did better then 11.1 sec.

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-12-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

Originally posted by MARKSKI
I know alex and I know exactly what he has. a full built engine with gt800 turbos and a hybrid ECU for 28 psi.
Im not talking about that. cause I can very easily do the same.
TRK, u say Im funny... well show a TT with a simple ecu and k24s do mid tens.. and Ill give you $10K.. the amount need to do 10s according to you.
BTW, Sharky with his gt800 doesnt get 1.4s 60 foot.. how the hell ur friend Bobby does with 540 crank HP.
Do you here what ur r saying.... do u know that only one car to date( the protomotive 3 years ago did 10.7s) at the shoot out. the other is a tip which Im not considering in this discussion and its alex'(sharky). He did , BTW 10.9 on a stock eingine. and from last posts.. a 10.6 with the new engine build... and now he is probably faster.
Buddyg had 586 HP to the wheels 2 years ago and he did 11.3 sec. at the shootout.
Look, If ur buddy does 10s on simple k24s( which I had)... get me the tuner cause I wan that.. and so will everyone else. Cause to be that fast with a TT you need $15 k to rebuild the engine alone.. and at least another $25K for the tuning set up.
Markski-
You are acknowledging the wrong Alex. We are talking about Alexander's (Protomotives Car) 9second 996tt and not Alex (Sharky).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again