996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
oops.... sorry... didnt know abou the other alex.
I guess protomotive is at it again. congrats.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-12-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 10's in the 1/4

Originally posted by TRK
Marski, You're pretty funny. It's really not that hard, you just have to be able to DRIVE the car there...
These cars are pretty wierd to drive. With all the electronics on board, and E Throttle.
I've seen many a time slip coming from Bobby in Oklahoma with a simple ecu upgrade, muffler, k24 motorsport turbo's and a clutch run 10.5's with 1.4 second 60 foot times. All for about a 10-15k upgrade and sub 600hp at the crank.
I really want him to fly out and drive Alex's car. We've been in the 10's for a while now. I wan't to see him run 9's in Alex's
Marski, if you read carefully this post you would know that the guy writing this knows what he is talking about He has been building sub 11s and 10s. Porsche cars for years!

In fact I don't know why the focus on ET's, you should look at trap speeds if you really want to know how much reliable torque your car is putting to the ground, improving ET can then be done with some more tweaks on suspension, tires, launch techniques, and a couple of gear ratio changes etc..

Old 10-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

Originally posted by Jean
Marski, if you read carefully this post you would know that the guy writing this knows what he is talking about He has been building sub 11s and 10s. Porsche cars for years!

In fact I don't know why the focus on ET's, you should look at trap speeds if you really want to know how much reliable torque your car is putting to the ground, improving ET can then be done with some more tweaks on suspension, tires, launch techniques, and a couple of gear ratio changes etc..
Im not disagreeing with anything you have said.
my point is- that "TRK" is stating that a simple ecu upgrade, a pair of k-24s, exhaust and a clutch gets his friend into mid tens.... I'm disagreeing with that cause I've had, and many others on this board this set up... and it does not produce 10s at the track. cause if it does... I will be the first one to throw out my set up.
I've been following protomotive for 3 years... ever since they won the 1st 1/4 shoot out with a 10.7 sec. I also stated b4 that 1st and 2nd gears are useless... thats why Im harping repeatedly about 1/4 times... especially on manual gear boxes... and how I just dont see it being done on stock engines. thats my point. Ive had 3 TTs.. Im no tuner... but I know what a 10 second porsche should feel like... and no one except Alex(sharky) proved it. He ran 10.9 last year on a stock motor. However, it was a TIP.
Im talking about a stock engine, stock tranny, and a manual gear box- who does 10s constantly and can deliver a tuning package to do so.
Why don't you guys get this car to a track and get some workable numbers.... and get a video of that.

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-13-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:43 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

You are raising a very good point, and it was very confusing to me as well, until I started crunching some numbers and talked to some experienced guys, if I may share my opinion:
Originally posted by MARKSKI
"TRK" is stating that a simple ecu upgrade, a pair of k-24s, exhaust and a clutch gets his friend into mid tens
Let us assume an ECU , Exhaust and K24s get you 550-570FWHP....
I've had, and many others on this board this set up... and it does not produce 10s at the track. cause if it does... I will be the first one to throw out my set up.
A K24 28lb compressor (not hybrids) will not give you more than 550FWHP or so. (Edit: TRK mentioned K24 Motorsports, therefore 600BHP is attainable). I don't know very well your setup or the announced hp, so I am just speculating that you have K24 compressors. So just make sure you have beyond true 550FWHP on the track.
I've been following protomotive for 3 years... ever since they won the 1st 1/4 shoot out with a 10.7 sec. .
There goes the proof that what TRK is saying can be accomplished That Protomotive car reached around 130 mph trap speed, therefore was with an engine with circa 600FWHP, regardless what the Mustang dyno said. Therefore this output is within reach of K24s Motorsport, as it had around 600hp, and reached a quarter in the 10's, without a proper Q Mile setup. Correct? Then an ECU, K24s, exhaust and clutch can get you in the 10s, since you can have 550+hp or a bit more, and if your car is setup for the quarter (tires, suspension), then you can certainly achieve it..
I also stated b4 that 1st and 2nd gears are useless... thats why Im harping repeatedly about 1/4 times... especially on manual gear boxes... and how I just dont see it being done on stock engines.
I agree on the 1st and 2nd. gears, but people are reaching 60' in the 1.5sec. with those same gearbox ratios on 993TTs, what will impact your quartermile times, is you upper gears. Let me clarify: If you reach a trap speed of 135 mph because you have a 600hp car, it is wearing 295s, and you have a rev limiter set at 6800RPMs, you will have to be in 5th to reach that speed, 4 gear changes at 0.3s each at best. Now, only change your tires to 315s, raise your rev limiter to 7100RPMs and you will be in 4th. at 135mph, saving 0.3 seconds, makes sense? A Tip (as I stated in an earlier post but did not get a warm welcome ), only changes 2 gears to reach those speeds. To each his conclusions.
The more torque you have on a dyno does not mean it will get into the 10s, first this torque has to be maintained on the track (check your trap speeds to know the truth), second you have to be able to put it properly on the ground via a decent 60'.
Why don't you guys get this car to a track and get some workable numbers.... and get a video of that.
I support this! Unfortunately I am two continents away from you guys. But knowing how my Protomotive car beat a 996TT stage 5 this last week end at 60mph and upwards, I trust Protomotive, oh! I was only running 0.7 Bars!! . In case that stage 5 was not running properly (I am just speculating) I also beat a 996TT stage 2 by 2-3 car lengths in less than 200-250 meters (at 0.7 Bars), and that, I have on video. Just to avoid comments like these cars are not made for quartermile runs etc.., I use my car for the track, not quartermile runs, and it is setup that way. Great points raised Markski and interesting debate.
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Jean,

Who did you run with the Stage 5 car? Post those videos! Marski I can agree it is frustrating that no one has put up the proof other than Alex, myself included!

I cannot comment right now but soon you ALL will know what's going on with my car.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:23 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Re: Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

Im not disagreeing with anything you have said.
my point is- that "TRK" is stating that a simple ecu upgrade, a pair of k-24s, exhaust and a clutch gets his friend into mid tens.... I'm disagreeing with that cause I've had, and many others on this board this set up... and it does not produce 10s at the track. cause if it does... I will be the first one to throw out my set up.
I've been following protomotive for 3 years... ever since they won the 1st 1/4 shoot out with a 10.7 sec. I also stated b4 that 1st and 2nd gears are useless... thats why Im harping repeatedly about 1/4 times... especially on manual gear boxes... and how I just dont see it being done on stock engines. thats my point. Ive had 3 TTs.. Im no tuner... but I know what a 10 second porsche should feel like... and no one except Alex(sharky) proved it. He ran 10.9 last year on a stock motor. However, it was a TIP.
Im talking about a stock engine, stock tranny, and a manual gear box- who does 10s constantly and can deliver a tuning package to do so.
MARKSKI,

Alex's (sharkster) internals are not stock.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by buddyg
Jean,

Who did you run with the Stage 5 car? Post those videos! Marski I can agree it is frustrating that no one has put up the proof other than Alex, myself included!

I cannot comment right now but soon you ALL will know what's going on with my car.
buddy,

If I recall correctly Todd had metioned to me long ago that EVO was prepping a Stage V motor for SA.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Just to clarify, this car was not EVOMS. The EVOMS CJV mentions is probably the GT900 in Bahrain that their dealer has. I am not aware of any other here.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
cjv
Just to clarify, this car was not EVOMS. The EVOMS CJV mentions is probably the GT900 in Bahrain that their dealer has. I am not aware of any other here.
Jean,

I defer to you on this. I simply remember a internals motor build up they were talking about.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 AM
TT993 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ChrisChow
MARKSKI,

CJV is correct, the secret is in the Heads as well as the programming...Alexander's car has no problem running mid 9's and he has a 6 speed...
Congrats on the mid 9 second run. Any video of the run? Thats quite a feat you guys have accomplished. A full second faster than any other 996 out there.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

There goes the proof that what TRK is saying can be accomplished That Protomotive car reached around 130 mph trap speed, therefore was with an engine with circa 600FWHP, regardless what the Mustang dyno said. Therefore this output is within reach of K24s Motorsport, as it had around 600hp, and reached a quarter in the 10's, without a proper Q Mile setup. Correct? Then an ECU, K24s, exhaust and clutch can get you in the 10s, since you can have 550+hp or a bit more, and if your car is setup for the quarter (tires, suspension), then you can certainly achieve it..
Sorry Jean, I have to disagree with you there. The blue Protomotive car was definitely putting out more than 600fwhp. Todd estimated it was putting out around 650-700fwhp. If indeed your hypothesis is true and it was only putting out 600hp, then it must have the flattest torque curve you can find, because its 600 horses would be way bigger than anyone else's.

No way a K24 Motorsport equipped car would be as fast as that car, it had twin Garrett T04E's, a highly efficient intercooler, twin external Tial wastegates and running 1.2 bar of boost at the Shootout. Those Garretts as you know make the K24's look like midgets.

It is my belief that the Ruf R Turbo 550 puts out around 600hp at the engine, and I think my ex-car is quite a bit faster. This car was in fact Todd's prototype car for the 996 Turbo.

I guarantee you that K24 motorsport turbos, ECU, exhaust and clutch would NOT be enough to touch this car's setup. You give too much importance in this case to peak HP figures. Don't fool yourself! If you are a Protomotive customer, YOU should know better!

Last edited by Hamann7; 10-13-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Jean, I'm not disagreeing and yet I had a race version of the k-24s.... Giac and FVD programs... all the piping , cluthes ectc... and still no 10s.... I have a ecu sold to the masses thus its not tuned specific to my set up... I think thats where protomotive has an edge. I live in Chicago, the closest tuner is 800 miles away... and GIAC is 2000 miles away.. so I cant ship the car to california everytime it hick ups. And from experience, all cars have some issues at some point.
I still have yet to see a 700 or 750 crank HP on a manual gear box do 10s...(stock internals, tranny, 6 speed.) therefore, ur theoretical assumption is quite interesting... maybe can be done... but in the real world at the track... EVERYTHING changes. and to get a TT into the 10s is super hard.... Ive had 3 years of track time... 2 trannies and a clutch... and yet its simply tuff. PSM doesnt help when it shuts the throttle body. You haver a one off.. I'm taling about TRKs comment that a simple ecu and k-24s will get u 10s. there are people on this board that make turbos and rebuild engines... Im sure they could jump in and share their wisdom. speculation part on HP numbers and actual 1/4 runs are like apples and oranges.
therefore, it would be nice to get videos from the track and we will see what real world numbers these cars produce... just my opinion.
best regards and congrats on a awesome car.

click to view

Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Porsche Fiend
Mark, the blue Protomotive car that ran the 10.7 had stock internals. The secret lies in the custom plumbing and ram air intake system. All the pipes from the Turbos to the exhaust to the intake were all shortened and given a direct path, creating more noise but definitely allowing for higher velocity travel of the air and gases. It also ran a custom fabricated exhaust system that was adapted from a Formula Atlantic race car. Then of course, Todd is a real wizard when it comes to programming.

I'm telling you, for the money you have spent, you really should give Todd K. a try if you want a 10 second car. I would suggest getting a custom ECU and to install his intake system. Those two things alone make quite a difference.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
the protomotive car that did 10.7 3 years ago did not have k-24s. If Im not mistaken it dynoed l over 550 hp to the wheels. 586 hp rwhp but dont quote me.
thats why TRKs comment is unrealistic to me.

click to view

Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Porsche Fiend
It was 558 to all 4 wheels.

TRK (Todd Knighton) is the one who built my car, he was telling me about his customer Bobby in OK who would run really fast times with K24's and ECU, but I would have to take his word for it. However, I hear this guy is quite an excellent drag racer!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again