996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Probably not that relevent, but my car is a GT2 with Ruf 590PS engine in it.

I ran a couple of drag runs a few weeks back on an airfield. They had timing lights/beams rigged up for 1/4 mile and I also datalogged it on my GPS/accelerometer data-logger, which verified the times to within a couple of hundredths.

Best run of three was:

60' 2.02 seconds
1/4 mile 11.88 @ 128mph

Launches were terrible and gearchanges taken fairly slow (1st to 2nd is easily 0.5 seconds). Car runs 3 degrees negative camber at the rear for track-use so was very poor off the line, so just slipped the clutch gently.

Data-trace is below (which includes the rollout distance):

Last edited by Guy; 10-13-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

Originally posted by Hamann7
If indeed your hypothesis is true and it was only putting out 600hp, then it must have the flattest torque curve you can find, because its 600 horses would be way bigger than anyone else's.
Hamann, they ARE bigger and their torque curve was 15% more than the second car if I recall correctly . Those are bigger horses, meaning on a race track, under load, they will be still be there, because they run at the right thermal efficiencies. Trap Speeds in similar cars don't lie, it is not theory it is in practice. FVD 550 FWHP (off the shelf) gave a 130mph trap speed, FVD packages are built by RS Tuning, real horses. Do not conclude that the Protomotive engine was running 700FWHP because you are comparing to the others, you should reach the opposite conclusion, how much are the others putting on the track? Todd Knighton never boasted about his HP numbers, he goes by performance, despite him being one of the few using engine dyno. Gemballa GTR750 back in 2002, stock weight, lousy aerodynamics, 137mph in 10.8 seconds, those are real 750 hp.
No way a K24 Motorsport equipped car would be as fast as that car, it had twin Garrett T04E's, a highly efficient intercooler, twin external Tial wastegates and running 1.2 bar of boost at the Shootout. Those Garretts as you know make the K24's look like midgets.
A larger turbo will not make it a faster car unless you take it out of its efficiency levels. I did not say it will be as fast as the shootout car (trap speed), but I am saying that running 10s is very possible, with the right quartermile setup, and 60' that are in the 1.4-1.5 since the shootout car was not drag race ready.
You give too much importance in this case to peak HP figures. Don't fool yourself! If you are a Protomotive customer, YOU should know better!
It is ok that you think this way, you don't know me and what I am saying never makes me any friends. Far from the way I think though, I only go by performance.

Markski, thanks for your comments on my car. Please don't assume that I have not been around at tracks, my first race was 20 years ago last month now. If you are not getting in the 10s does not mean I am talking theory!! but maybe because you do not have the right setup, or the 700HP that you think you have, are not translated on the track (no offense to anyone)..Check your trap speeds, you will know. Getting into the 10's is very difficult, but with 600hp and a good driver, you might get there, the devil is in the details.
As a side note, my engine travelled 10k miles to be build by Todd Knighton and flown back, Todd (and his wife) travelled to Germany to fine tune it, don't be discouraged by distance, good customer service does not have boundaries nowadays.
I apologize for side tracking this thread so much.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
So if the Gemballa car runs 10.8 @ 137 and that is 750 real hp, how is 10.74 @ 132.9 only 600hp? That car had even lousier aerodynamics (no front lip) and a bit of weight reduction, but not by that much (maybe 100lbs.?)

Interestingly enough, the car was never engine dyno'd...

By the way, we are on the same page... didn't mean to offend you, just being facetious

Old 10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yeah Jean is a good guy. He just says what he knows, feels and is his experience... kinda like you Tyson so you two should kiss, cuddle, make up and may be even go out on a date.... To a strip club anyways!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !

TRK (Todd Knighton) is the one who built my car, he was telling me about his customer Bobby in OK who would run really fast times with K24's and ECU, but I would have to take his word for it. However, I hear this guy is quite an excellent drag racer!
Can I just call protomotive and get the turbos and the ecu shipped and do tens next week?
If so, Ive been fishing in the wrong pool.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by sharkster
Yeah Jean is a good guy. He just says what he knows, feels and is his experience... kinda like you Tyson so you two should kiss, cuddle, make up and may be even go out on a date.... To a strip club anyways!
I am afraid I might be misinterpreting it and if I am I apologize. But if you are trying to make a smart *** comment, I would ask you to stay away from getting personal. This is an internet board and I don't share who I cuddle or make up with, so we can keep this respectable?

Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
pakisho is infamous around these parts
Time for an SVB wedgy.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by pakisho
Time for an SVB wedgy.
SVB is dead.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Language barrier Sharky, believe me, humour is the most difficult to decifer for a foreigner. They have given me so many pills on the boards that I am immune. I said I apologized if I was mistaken and I mean it.
Cheers.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Actually if anyone wants James Wong's old set up from his GT2 which he sold let us know...

He had the Protomotive ECU, Garrett GT25 turbos and injectors (and injector driver) which was used a bit on Alex' car back over a year ago. He has the intake system too all for sale since his GT2 is gone.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jean
Language barrier Sharky, believe me, humour is the most difficult to decifer for a foreigner. They have given me so many pills on the boards that I am immune. I said I apologized if I was mistaken and I mean it.
Cheers.
OK glad we're on the same page- remember man I'm a foreigner too! I'm from England where I have to admit we're a subtle/sarcastic bunch but we do mean well- usually!

On a serious note, what Jean often says might be deemed "controversial" or not what you "want to hear" but he's a wise guy and obviously has one bloddy fast car!

Old 10-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
SVB is dead.

You killed it!

That 350Z supposedly keeps wanting a piece, but is somehow never around there any more.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by pakisho
You killed it!

That 350Z supposedly keeps wanting a piece, but is somehow never around there any more.
LOL... let's see, me on race gas, fresh plugs and that? Hmm I wonder if I can "win"... If not he'll try to run me off the road again

Old 10-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Dude, that sounds like a goddamn plan to me. Ive personally been itching to see him get beaten down, and no one more appropriate than you for that.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 AM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
Sharkster-
Pakisho-
Let's go 350Z hunting on Saturday!! Alexander will be back from Las Vegas on Friday and he's bringing the Turbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again