996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive at it again

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ChrisChow
Sharkster-
Pakisho-
Let's go 350Z hunting on Saturday!! Alexander will be back from Las Vegas on Friday and he's bringing the Turbo
Hey bud.. I've had so many runs with people but this chap was something else He always leaves early (ok fine that's how it is) but the fact that he starts coming into your lane when you're going past him is kinda hokey! I love what Alex said though... "If he comes into my lane he's going into the wall and I'm painting my car seal grey..."

Last edited by sharkster; 10-14-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM
pakisho is infamous around these parts
Seal GHEY rocks.

My clutch is still in break-in phase, but Im down to come out anyway. If nothing else, the 60-70 miles will get the breakin done quicker. Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Still waiting on my coil packs.. I have THREE!

Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 AM
pakisho is infamous around these parts
How many do you need?

Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pakisho
How many do you need?
Three more if I want to fire on all 6 cylinders.. Hmm maybe for the Z I only need 3?

Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Tyson,

It would be interesting to know what that Blue car would have run at a real quarter mile track. I wonder if there is alot of difference in a radar gun versus the quarter mile track.

I was watching Monster Garage and they stripped out an old VW Bug and put in a built VW motor with a turbo. It ran 10.5 out of the box! Only weighed like 1500 lbs.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 AM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
car sounds awesome. sorry if i missed anything, but when you say the key is port and valve work, what exactly are we talking about? porting stock heads, upgraded gt3 (cup or gt3r's?) etc? i was am the impression that using variants of the gt3 heads requires much more extensive modifications, big valves and new camshafts, etc? whatever the modifications, the car makes amazing power at such low boost without building up the internals or changing camshafts.

Last edited by KompressorKev; 10-15-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin
There is no need to go with the GT3 heads to get good efficiency unless you are really after the last fraction of hp and breathing, yes you can, and it might be better, but I think an overkill. A good polishing job, and 3 angle valve seat job, guides, springs, etc.. should be enough. On these turbocharged engines you can compensate for the ulitmate in head work with better programming on the dyno bench. I know my engine does not have extensive head mods (as far as porting or polishing) and I have a very decent efficiency for an air cooled engine. Bigger valves are not always good. Todd dyno'ed 705hp at 1.1 Bar on the engine dyno, running on the rich side since it is a cooling need for where I live. Internals would not make much difference either to performance (not longevity), these are not race engines, cross drilling, knife edging, etc.. are an overkill IMO, the proof lies in the numbers.
As someone said before, the secret is in the way things are balanced and work together, not against each other, the best of each does not make the best overall, it is a misconception, and the wizzard programming that goes with it is the icing on the cake. I have stock ignition and coils (twin-plug) BTW, it gave the result needed, why complicate things?

Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 AM
PV996TT is infamous around these parts
Some information on the RUF 3.8TT / 650HP. It dyno`ed 720 hp at 1.1 bar on the engine dyno and are running 11 s / 134 mph on the 1/4 mile.

Peter

Old 10-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Jean
these are not race engines, cross drilling, knife edging, etc.. are an overkill IMO, the proof lies in the numbers.
This is such a good point I want to high light it... Why pour money into stuff like that? 2hp? So not worth the hassle... Anyone who has seen a 996tt crank will tell ya' those things are light. They're not big heavy 928 cranks lol...

Old 10-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 10's in the 1/4

Check your trap speeds, you will know. Getting into the 10's is very difficult, but with 600hp and a good driver, you might get there, the devil is in the details.
Bingo! The horsepower claims and the vehicle weight/trap speeds do not match. When the dream is stronger than reality.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PV996TT
Some information on the RUF 3.8TT / 650HP. It dyno`ed 720 hp at 1.1 bar on the engine dyno and are running 11 s / 134 mph on the 1/4 mile.

Peter
Peter,

With this kind of trap speed and knowing Ruf's flat torque curve, it should be more than capable of 10's with the right driver.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:23 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
Kevin
There is no need to go with the GT3 heads to get good efficiency unless you are really after the last fraction of hp and breathing, yes you can, and it might be better, but I think an overkill. A good polishing job, and 3 angle valve seat job, guides, springs, etc.. should be enough. On these turbocharged engines you can compensate for the ulitmate in head work with better programming on the dyno bench. I know my engine does not have extensive head mods (as far as porting or polishing) and I have a very decent efficiency for an air cooled engine. Bigger valves are not always good. Todd dyno'ed 705hp at 1.1 Bar on the engine dyno, running on the rich side since it is a cooling need for where I live. Internals would not make much difference either to performance (not longevity), these are not race engines, cross drilling, knife edging, etc.. are an overkill IMO, the proof lies in the numbers.
As someone said before, the secret is in the way things are balanced and work together, not against each other, the best of each does not make the best overall, it is a misconception, and the wizzard programming that goes with it is the icing on the cake. I have stock ignition and coils (twin-plug) BTW, it gave the result needed, why complicate things?
i see, thanks for the info. on 996tt motors, i thought that changing the rods might be a good precaution when approaching high hp, as the rod widths are really small and some people have bent them (although they were running Massive hp)? you have efficient results alright, no need to complicate things with 705hp at 1.1 bar running rich...those numbers seem amazingly efficient.

btw, i always heard ruf was conservative but wow that's over 10% underestimate. i suspected that the RUF 550 made close to 600 and the Nardo more like 650, so this seems about right. well i guess they do say the RUF horsies are a bigger breed...i wonder what kinda dyno - maha, dynojet, engine dyno? protomotive and ruf - quality tuning.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:36 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
What is the BSFC of the 993tt? of the 996tt?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
ChrisChow has a spectacular aura aboutChrisChow has a spectacular aura about
We will all see what the difference between a 996tt 3.6l motor and a GT-3 4.0l in the real world when CJV's car is together in November to run Alexander's.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive at it again