996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Antifreeze is everywhere...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Mish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud of
Worked and will keep working, until my kids take it over, or bury me in it, one day.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_181814.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	400171  
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Nice looking car I had and early 70s XJS really don't remember exactly as I was buying cars at that time right and left. I honestly had cars sitting at relatives and would forget I had them until insurance time lol.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Mish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
That is one of the ones jpflip pointed out. you can get that piece out with engine in the car. in your second pic the pipe you can see is coming out too. that hose should be down on the casting with no pipe showing.
Just checked, you were right. That other one was also crawling out and with a little tap it came out completely. So I assume all fittings are now held by rotten, 13 y/o glue.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Just checked, you were right. That other one was also crawling out and with a little tap it came out completely. So I assume all fittings are now held by rotten, 13 y/o glue.
Yup.

So if you've got the connection with a good shop and mechanic and pricing...? There's absolutely no reason to not do them all at once. Find a welder and be done with it.

Good luck,
-V

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Yup.

So if you've got the connection with a good shop and mechanic and pricing...? There's absolutely no reason to not do them all at once. Find a welder and be done with it.

Good luck,
-V
Is the water pump also a usual suspect at 60K miles?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I would change it while doing the pipes especially if you don't know when or if it was ever replaced.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
I got OEM Sachs kit, it is all German and runs $705 delivered. Since I am somewhat around stock performance, I see no need in fancy clutch upgrades.
I also got new front strut plates and bearings (unrelated).
$1500 perhaps too brave of an estimate, but $2K should work, with all the little things to address.
Is that an MR2T I see? Were you on MR2OC before?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
herrdrpepper is infamous around these parts
Mish Mish : If you need a source of expertise for welding the coolant pipes, Auto Assets in Powell OH.. can do it. By the time you do it as well as replace all tubes and gaskets, coolant tank,motor and transmission mounts, etc, etc. it will NOT be $2,000! Ask me how I know
It seems clear that all 996TT, GT3 and GT2 motors will eventual blow the coolant pipes. NHSTB has bailed…we are on our own. It is a major expense and PITA

Old 08-30-2014, 10:21 PM
ramman5600 is infamous around these parts

This statement sums up why the NHSTA should reopen their investigation of this issue. Now that some real time has passed and more and more failures are coming up (GM key issue is older issues than this) (even with guys driving like a little old lady - mine did the same thing) that Porsche should have some accountability. I am just glad that no one that I know has been injured (except in the wallet) by this stupid glued in fitting piece of German engineering. Anyone on here a good attorney? Too many people with same issue on a $130K car.
-C

Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Everyone. REPORT these failures to NHTSA. If you or trailing drivers had any loss of control, state that as well. Even transient, doesn't need to have ended in an 'accident'.

There have been a huge number of failures this summer. Ask any shop how many cars they are doing.

I'm welding mine, gt2 'oestyle' clutch conversion (drill case), new clutch, etc etc.

This thread has gotten past this point, but one danger with the catastrophic coolant loss is that without coolant the temp sensors cant sense temp. Drivers run the risk of massive overheating as they look down and see "normal temps" and keep driving. Depends on which fitting fails, but some serious issues can follow. "cloud of crap out the back" = "shut it down"

Me, I was mid-dumbarton bridge at rush hour. No shoulder- well, 9 inch shoulder. At least I was able to coast to the top, down and got to dirt. 2 CHPs, a cal-trans wrecker and finally a flat bed (3 hrs) later I was picked up. 120 miles home.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Th_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ That's a sh!tty story. ^^^

Almost as bad as mine.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 PM
ramman5600 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
Everyone. REPORT these failures to NHTSA. If you or trailing drivers had any loss of control, state that as well. Even transient, doesn't need to have ended in an 'accident'.

There have been a huge number of failures this summer. Ask any shop how many cars they are doing.

I'm welding mine, gt2 'oestyle' clutch conversion (drill case), new clutch, etc etc.

This thread has gotten past this point, but one danger with the catastrophic coolant loss is that without coolant the temp sensors cant sense temp. Drivers run the risk of massive overheating as they look down and see "normal temps" and keep driving. Depends on which fitting fails, but some serious issues can follow. "cloud of crap out the back" = "shut it down"

Me, I was mid-dumbarton bridge at rush hour. No shoulder- well, 9 inch shoulder. At least I was able to coast to the top, down and got to dirt. 2 CHPs, a cal-trans wrecker and finally a flat bed (3 hrs) later I was picked up. 120 miles home.
Please send in your complaints - they have to listen at some point.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...dex.xhtml:mad:

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
I agree its worth reporting but I doubt they will revue it again especially considering the comparatively low number of cars involved/sold.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:57 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
They closed the investigation because the failure rate is so low compared to cars produced there really isn't anything else to investigate.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:09 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^ exactly. i wish there were some way to know the percentage of failure as compared to cars produced. i still have a hunch it is comparatively low. which admittedly doesn't help if it happens to you. i'm just glad i was in FRONT of th_dude when his fittings blew

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze is everywhere...