996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help Me Decide between Lambo & Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
venemous is infamous around these parts
Help Me Decide between Lambo & Porsche

Hey guys....so I posted this on the Lambo forums last week, and now that my account is finally active here I wanted to get some feedback from the Porsche crowd. Here is what the post said...please let me know what your takes are on this. Thanks! (Also sorry for the crazzzzzy long post)

Over the past few months I have been very seriously considering the purchase of a slightly used (3-5k miles) Lamborghini Gallardo as my new car. I would most likely put down a large amount of money (100k+) towards the purchase of the car, and then proceed to finance the remaining balance (say 60-80k). In the time that I have had to consider the purchase of this vehicle I have been going over my options endlessly on different alternatives to this choice, as I want to make sure that I am 100% satisfied with my decision. I have never been in a financial position to consider spending such a large amount of money on a car before now, and thus have only recently begun to understand what the whole game is all about with buying a car like this.

I currently own a supercharged C5 Corvette, which is making about 510 RWHP at the moment, and is brutally fast. However, one thing about me is that I have an almost insatiable need for speed and performance, in terms of both straight-line performance and handling prowess for when it comes to track racing (which I am going to be very heavily into once I get this new car). I have to say that my Corvette is still not fast enough for me, as I am looking for Enzo / Carrera GT performance levels for my next car. To achieve this performance goal, I was originally planning on purchasing a new C6 Z06 Corvette, and then going ahead with a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo upgrade to make some MAJOR power, but after some serious thought, I have concluded that I simply want more than what a Corvette can offer…in terms of exclusivity…interior appointments…build quality…etc.

That realization of course brought me to the idea of owning a Lamborghini. I have completely fallen for the Gallardo …as I have to say that I think it is legions ahead of anything that Ferrari (or anyone else for that matter) has to offer in terms of looks and raw appeal, which I consider to be of paramount importance when purchasing a car that cost this much. I do of course realize that this car will not give me the performance that I am looking for (crazy I know, lol), and so I have started to consider my options in terms of a twin turbo setup, which I think would put me right where I want to be for acceleration performance. However, when I consider the amount of money that would be involved in such a massive undertaking (I’m thinking about 70K), I begin to think that maybe I shouldn’t be trying to go quite so crazy with all of this, and that I should consider a different car to get what I am looking for.

That notion led me in the direction of purchasing a used 996 Porsche 911 Turbo, many of which can be had in the 70-80k price range. For that amount of money, I would be able to buy the car, and go ahead with a full tuning package that would bring it up to 700-750 flywheel horsepower, a full customized suspension, Techart body upgrades, etc, all for about 10-15k less than the price of a Gallardo alone. This has become a very lucrative idea for me, however I am still unsure of what I want to do, since even with all of the performance that the Turbo can offer, it will still be “just” a 911…a car that can be seen pretty much every day and offers little in terms of exotic looks (at least in my opinion…although it still is quite a looker in my eyes). Of course the Turbo will also never be able to match the Lambo in terms looks and sound, as I have heard very few things in this world that get my spine to tingle like the sound of a Gallardo with Tubis or Test Pipes on it. I think that it is safe to say that although both cars will offer exclusivity and prestige, the Porsche will never be able to match the Lambo in terms of unadulterated raw appeal.

I have always been a true “car guy,” being able to appreciate everything from yesterday’s and today’s musclecars, to modern rice rockets (tastefully done of course), to high end exotics of course. I have just begun to simply want more than anything other than an exotic (or I guess near exotic car in the case of the 911) have to offer, and have thus set my sights on owning one in the near future. I need emphasize that although the whole “rock star” image is definitely a reason for me to purchase the Lambo over the 911 Turbo, it is still somewhat of a bonus, rather than the deciding factor. I have actually become somewhat uncomfortable with the attention that having a car like this can give, as when people that I know (or meet) have find out that I may be getting a Lamborghini, their entire demeanor changes, from either becoming completely transparent in their intent to sponge off of me…thinking that they can hang out with me and live some sort of high roller life or something when I’m around, to the complete opposite, with people taking the attitude of “F-U you rich bastard.” I have never been one to care all too much about what people think of me, but I don’t know that I really want to deal with either sort of B.S. just because of the kind of car that I drive.

One of the problems with the situation that I have is that I don't have any real opportunity to drive Gallardo for myself at the moment, and as I am not yet totally sure of whether I think this is the car for me, I feel it appropriate to walk into a Lamborghini dealer and ask for a test drive (which I doubt would happen anyway unless I was 100% serious on buying the car in the VERY near future). Another issue is my age – I am currently 20 years old, and I don’t know that having a Gallardo at this time is something I should be looking into doing, but it is an option that I want to fully explore before making a final decision. I already have a 2005 Lexus RX330 as a daily driver, which I have fully paid for already, so there are no real issues in terms of balancing financial obligations with other cars or anything like that. I am also going to be moving out of my house this spring into either a nice townhouse or single family home that I will be paying for, so I will certainly be able to garage the car either way.

I am appealing to you all to offer me some advice and personal experience on this matter, from what you think the best course of action for me to take is in terms of a personal/financial perspective, to more importantly (for my purposes of having posted this at least) a standpoint of what it would be like to own either car. I know that many people are inclined to make judgments and say that someone my age should not even be talking about such things, but I have achieved all of my success on my own (online retailer for self help & success media), and I want to reward myself for all the sacrifices and hard work that I have put in to get where I am today. Like I said, I would appreciate any advice that you all can offer me at this point to help me make a decision on this matter. I am wondering what your impressions of the Gallardo are in terms of performance, and what it is like to drive the car in public. Do you think that I would be relatively happy with the stock performance that the car will have to offer me from what I have been saying at least (as even though I am horsepower junkie…I can compromise on things), or do you think that I really would need a TT setup be satisfied? How about with the 911 Turbo…is that exotic enough for my intents? Also, what does anyone of the idea that maybe I should just look into a Murcielago for a compromise on performance between the other two options (this of course would cost me around what the TT Gallardo would, but I figured I would ask)? I didn’t really know how to phrase those questions, but hopefully you will understand where I am coming from and steer me in the right direction with it.

Also, if there is anyone in the vicinity of NJ (NJ, NY, PA) that would be willing to give me a short ride in their Lamborghini so that I can gain some firsthand experience on what these things really are all about I would be extremely grateful to you. Thank you all for your consideration of my plight, and I hope to hear from you soon on this matter!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Re: Help Me Decide between Lambo & Porsche

Originally posted by venemous
I would most likely put down a large amount of money (100k+) towards the purchase of the car,

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
PORSCHE.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Have you driven both the Porsche and the Lambo? The are very different in the way they deliver the goods.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned
M3j0n is infamous around these parts
if this is to be a track car, i would feel much more comfortable driving the porsche hard on the track and paying the less unreasonable price for parts and maintenance. If you cant afford to buy a 180k car outright, money is somewhat of an issue, so costs associated with the use of the vehicle should be considered.

plus, the p-car is WAY cheaper to begin with.

in terms of performance, however, nothing will touch that c6 z06 with moeny put into it.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
pakisho is infamous around these parts
510whp is fast?

Jesting aside, if youre looking for major speed, you need a better platform than a lambo. Sure, you could TT one of those, but it would cost you something like six figures to do it all properly.

I'd look at a 911tt or a GT2 if speed is your bag and the vette isnt cutting it anymore. Theres always plenty of untapped potential with a factory FI car.

Lambo: Pretty fast cruise-mobile, more about the bling than setting your hair on fire in a straight line. ie youre not going to be overwhelmed going from a 120+mph corvette to a lambo.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Lambo. No matter what you do, someone will always be faster, so you might as well look good.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Just buy one, and if you don't like it, sell it and buy the other

There is no way to tell which one is right for you until you have had seat time in all of them.

C6 Z06 is a great value for the money, however, I don't see myself buying one.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:57 PM
shamrock is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by M3j0n
If you cant afford to buy a 180k car outright, money is somewhat of an issue, so costs associated with the use of the vehicle should be considered.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Venemous,

I will give you the short version answer, as much as I like Lambo's I would still have to say go with a Porsche GT2 if you want raw power, or if you prefer a 911TT if that is what you would rather have.
Either way you cant go wrong, I know a bunch of guys here will say save money and get a TT and spend the money saved versus a GT2 on mods, that is true but drive them both and see which you like better. For me it was the GT2 it just felt different from the TT and reminded me of the raw power and ride of the "old" 930 turbo. Before I drove the GT2 I drove a Murcielago and I went for the GT2 due to the fact it is a car I felt more comfertable with owning and driving as well as maintaining. If price is not an issue and you obviously have the funds needed maybe you should look into a Carrera GT, keep in mind these cars are not Vette's in no shape or form, perfomance wise anycar is tuneable to a certain degree usually depending on how deep your wallet is.
One thing to keep in mind about the GT2 is that it is a stripped down version TT with performance mods from the factory and it does not have the electronic gizmo's that will prevent you from spinning the huge tires so repsect and care is needed to drive the car.
Bottom line is if you want the "WOW" looks then the Lambo is the choice, I actually cannot believe how many thumbs up and stares I get with my GT2. Good luck with your choice whichever it may be, remember YOU have to feel the car in a sense and know that is the one for you. Good luckin finding someone to drive you around in a Lambo, if you were closer I would def, like to let you drive the GT2.

BBGT2

Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 PM
chumpulump is infamous around these parts
There's not a doubt in my mind that the lambo is for you. If you're already talking about the 911 being kind of "common", then you're definitely one of those people that're going to get his souped up turbo, then instantly be lusting for the lambos...

Old 10-05-2005, 03:01 PM
venemous is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by chumpulump
There's not a doubt in my mind that the lambo is for you. If you're already talking about the 911 being kind of "common", then you're definitely one of those people that're going to get his souped up turbo, then instantly be lusting for the lambos...
Haha...I'm "one of those people"....I gotta say that made me chuckle...you are prob right with that...I mean I don't think a 911 isn't a totally badass car or anything...but I probably would always lust for the Lambo even after I got my TT all hooked up...I am just trying to decide on what tradeofs I'd rather go with...speed vs. exoticness.

Everyone: Thanks a lot for the replies so far...and I'm certainly interested in what anyone else has to say. Also, as for driving either car...I've gone for a ride in an evo 600hp car...which I really liked...although I wanted more power...and decided that the 700 package was for me if I got the 911. I haven't been lucky enough to get a ride in any Lambos yet.

BBGT2: I appreciate that you would let me drive your car btw if I was closer...it's always good to know that there are some great people in the world. Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Flamesuit on.

Cosider Ford GT. It's inexpensive compared to Lambo, offers supercar performance and the road presence is amazing. Besdies, you can get a brand new one at a lower price than a Gallardo used.

If you really want something that's more refined, I'd go w a Murci. Gallardo has audi interior parts which you'll probly find as a downside.

996TT won't stop traffic with looks and performance won't match to supercar. You already have a highly modified vette which will outrun a stock 996TT I think. So, it doesn't sound like 996TT suits your purpose. Also, don't you rather have those scissor doors??

Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all

Some of your comments are a bit confusing to me. You say that you think a evo 600 needed more power?? As a track junkie, I just don't get that. I would think you would be much more interested in less weight, less rotating mass, and better suspension/rubber??? Take a GT3 Cup, with 400 hp and put it on the track with that evo 600 and the answer will be obvious. I'm not putting you down, just commenting...

On the other front, I'll tell you I've owned a lot of iron. I owned a Lamborghini (Diablo) and sold it for my Turbo which is a much better car. I simply refuse to deal with the service, parts, and pricing that goes with a Lambo. Assume for a second you have one and turbo it. If you blow the motor you might be looking at $50K. They wanted $15K for a clutch and to repair a minor oil leak on mine. I have never had that type of BS with Porsche or Ferrari.

In the past, I typically buy the latest hot car and have it for a while; then I sell it and buy another Porsche. It's about the driving experiance, not what I look like in the car.

That being said, if I had $180K burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a Turbo or GT2 for the street and a z06 as a track car.

As far as extensive modding goes, it's the same as pouring lighter fluid on the money and lighting it on fire. I'd get a car, drive the crap out of it, and then sell it for another one. It's much cheaper that way imo...

Good luck.
Roy

ps. I agree with Clarkson, there is one Ferrari and Lambo is not it...

Last edited by Tpup; 10-05-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
$100K cash + $80K Financed + $70K Mod Money= $250K... if you are this far into it why not go another $50-75 and pick up one of these bargain priced CGT's we keep hearing about.

Then you will have everything Power, Looks & a true Supercar!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide between Lambo & Porsche