996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:41 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Stereo Upgrades

Can you guys please discuss your stereo upgrades, especially speakers and the darn poor subwoofers.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
I would talk to Buddy, his system is amazing!!! I asked him about it before and he listed all the components, I will try and look for that post, but in the mean time check out the pics of it....
http://hobbystage.net/porsche/buddyg/
Evan

Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Reus Audio, if you want to spend the big bux and have the system install look stock

Old 11-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
I did the full system upgrade in my 99 C2 with factory HiFi system.

In the front I had a JL Audio XR-653cs 3 way component system installed. This consisted of a 6.5" in the doors with a 4" and tweeter in the dash. The 6.5" in the doors fit in the stock location behind the factory grills and was mounted on a custom baffle.

I replaced the rear speakers with JL Audio XR400cx, which is a 4" coaxial speaker. Honestly, I would not bother messing with the rear speakers as they are not heard. You can get all the soundstage you need just from the front system.

For subs I had a custom box built to hold two 8" JL Audio 8w0 subwoofers. The box was friction fit behind the rear seats.

I powered the whole system with a JL Audio 500/5 amplifier. This is a 5 channel amp that sent 100w RMS to the front speakers, 25w rms to the rear speakers, and 250w RMS mono to the subs. The amp was mounted in the boot in a false floor.

I initialy used a Sony ES headunit, but I would stay away from those. I upgraded the HU to an Eclipse unit and was very happy with it.

Overall the system sounded spectacular, especialy compared to stock. The key is to find a shop that you trust to do the install. A good install and tuning can make all the difference between a system that sounds good and one that sounds like a$z. The shop I used had prior experince working on Porsches and photos of the installs they had done.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 AM
skaria is infamous around these parts
I went the cheap route and it sounds way better than stock. I am not entering any SPL competitions, so it was good enough for me.

Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.5.3 speakers front ($600)
Boston Acoustics ProSeries 4.5 speakers rear ($300)
Aura Bass Shakers Pro (50W) under both front seats ($50)
(2) Rockford Fosgate amps ($500 off eBay)
Alpine IVA 801 monitor/receiver/CD ($750 off eBay)
Alpine NVE-851A DVD navigation ($700 off eBay)

My car is a lease and I was not going to **** a lot of $$ into a stereo only to take it out in a couple of years. I can take everything out except the speakers because I had to modify the speaker housing to put the BA in. So, ~$3000 including navigation... it was the best I could do and not go crazy.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:18 AM

Any comments on integrating with the MOST bus on newer cars?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:37 AM
tuner is infamous around these parts
I used Focal Utopia in the front, With MB Quart Q series 5.25 in the rear with 2X 10 inch Kickers (I prefer JL) for subs. I used 2
400 watt Nakamichi Amps, Eclipse head unit ( 8 volt Pre outputs),
Alpine XM, Battery cap. I Thought it sounded Great Until I Listened to a friends Cayenne with alpine F1 STATUS SYSTEM(HE HAS CLOSE TO $ 30K invested).
cheers
Bryan
P.S. My car is a 996.
The Focals /MB Quartz combination is a nice Mixture. It sounds Cleaner than My all JL system in the Cigarrete truck(cover truck for 23 Magazines)

Old 11-13-2003, 01:29 PM
YSITSMN is infamous around these parts
I have a system planned out to do over the winter months when I can't drive my car. The system will consist of Focal Utopia speaker componets, Focal subs, Audison amps, Pioneer head unit with audio control DEQ for all of the fine tuning. I ran a simalar setup in my old X5 and loved it.

Old 11-13-2003, 01:46 PM
EM 996 GTS is infamous around these parts
Talking Focal Utopias

Go for the Focal Utopia's!

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2003, 01:48 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Re: Focal Utopias

Originally posted by EM 996 GTS
Go for the Focal Utopia's!
MUST GET THOSE SPEAKER GRILLS!!
Spill it!!! Where did you get um?? or were they custom??
Evan

Old 11-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Re: Re: Focal Utopias

Originally posted by AMG ETR
MUST GET THOSE SPEAKER GRILLS!!
Spill it!!! Where did you get um?? or were they custom??
Evan
They put Focal's stickers on the grills

but this box is customs

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Do you have to upgrade the electronics or can the existing unit drive the speakers decently? My quick lookwas that the speakers were the weak link. The CF speaker mounts look niiiize! Is that a stock part?

Old 11-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Im changing the whole thing, nothing stock's on the audio sytem... but the CF parts are all stock in these pics

Im putting the new Pioneer 7500 (touch screen) with NAVi head-unit

Attached Images  

Last edited by EM 996 GTS; 11-13-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Focal Utopias

Originally posted by EM 996 GTS
They put Focal's stickers on the grills

but this box is customs
Wait so the CF on the grills is a sticker?? Looks damn good!!
Evan

Old 11-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Re: Re: Re: Re: Focal Utopias

Originally posted by AMG ETR
Wait so the CF on the grills is a sticker?? Looks damn good!!
Evan
I think EM is saying that the Focal logo is the sticker. Porsche does make the grills in CF.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrades