996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1000+ HP Fuel system questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
1000+ HP Fuel system questions

Hey all,
Getting some ideas on a fuel system for my future E85 setup with IC2150cc injectors.

Should I run a surge tank? It appears to me that this might be the easiest/preferred way to upgrade the fuel system instead of hacking up the factory fuel pump housing trying to stuff 3 fuel pumps in there or adding inline pumps. Plus the surge tank will prevent fuel starvation in some situations. Something simple like this:

Can the stock system actually supply the volume to fill the surge tank? And would twin ext 044s be enough for this setup on E85? Or should I just run a large single external pump?

Thanks for any advice on this!!
Scot

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 11-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
e85 needs large lines. and large pump. and filters. and a fpr. and better rails. the system your looking at is ok for a medium build but 1000 hp cars need huge amounts of fuel and you can't run short for even a minute. look at an8 lines. the injectors you have, undercover performance billet rails and weldon fpr weldon 2345 fuel pump and at least 2 filters a 100 micron prefilter and a 40 micron post filter. if your going to run a surge tank your going to need a pump in the tank to push fuel to the surge tank.

talk to prodigy or garth at undercover tuning for a system that will fit your build. its not rocket science but it does take careful planning. remember that e85 absorbs moisture so make your filters easily accessible for draining and cleaning. when you first go e85 it will descale your tank and all the yrs of crud built onto the walls will end up in the filters.

e85 tuning. how are you going to address this? a simple e85 file limits you to a certain fuel station that has e85 at the level of the tune. like gas e85 is rarely e85 could be e80,75,70 etc. without a way to analyze the fuel your getting you could be running low ethanol fuel on a high ethanol tune. not good. if your doing 1000 rwhp i would suggest a standalone setup. of course i love my proefi management. its amazing and has flex fuel ability. again garth is the go to guy good luck!!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Great stuff 32krazy...Thanks!

Yes I'm planning on -8an lines thoughout and if I can find them..bigger rails with FPR. I have a buddy who is currently running E85 on his drag setup...I'll talk to him about how to filter Efuel and yes...going to make everything VERY accessible or as much as possible. MEH..I was afraid of the stock system not being able to supply the volume needed for E85 to the surge tank...I'll have to think about/research that more.

Yes..I'm leaning towards the ProEFI or at minimum the Meastro for tuning. ProEFI is awesome I agree!!! And the flex fuel sensor should handle fuel changes. ProEFI is definitely my first choice right meow.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
e85 needs large lines. and large pump. and filters. and a fpr. and better rails. the system your looking at is ok for a medium build but 1000 hp cars need huge amounts of fuel and you can't run short for even a minute. look at an8 lines. the injectors you have, undercover performance billet rails and weldon fpr weldon 2345 fuel pump and at least 2 filters a 100 micron prefilter and a 40 micron post filter. if your going to run a surge tank your going to need a pump in the tank to push fuel to the surge tank.

talk to prodigy or garth at undercover tuning for a system that will fit your build. its not rocket science but it does take careful planning. remember that e85 absorbs moisture so make your filters easily accessible for draining and cleaning. when you first go e85 it will descale your tank and all the yrs of crud built onto the walls will end up in the filters.

e85 tuning. how are you going to address this? a simple e85 file limits you to a certain fuel station that has e85 at the level of the tune. like gas e85 is rarely e85 could be e80,75,70 etc. without a way to analyze the fuel your getting you could be running low ethanol fuel on a high ethanol tune. not good. if your doing 1000 rwhp i would suggest a standalone setup. of course i love my proefi management. its amazing and has flex fuel ability. again garth is the go to guy good luck!!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Great stuff 32krazy...Thanks!

Yes I'm planning on -8an lines thoughout and if I can find them..bigger rails with FPR. I have a buddy who is currently running E85 on his drag setup...I'll talk to him about how to filter Efuel and yes...going to make everything VERY accessible or as much as possible. MEH..I was afraid of the stock system not being able to supply the volume needed for E85 to the surge tank...I'll have to think about/research that more.

Yes..I'm leaning towards the ProEFI or at minimum the Meastro for tuning. ProEFI is awesome I agree!!! And the flex fuel sensor should handle fuel changes. ProEFI is definitely my first choice right meow.
garth's shop has the billet rails i use and they have an8 fittings on the ends. use a weldon fpr and install it on the return line. its adjustable and has a gauge on it. i use weldon filters inline in front and behind the fuel pump i use. i also have a walbro intank e85 pump for under 5 psi and run inline filters for that. garth sells and tunes the proefi and is a master at it. the new plug and play proefi112 may be exactly what your looking for and its a great price. add a host of sensors and a e85 analyzer and your well on your way

Old 11-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Older thread, but I would recommend the Undercover Tuning /Saad Racing fuel upgrade (optioned to suit your fueling needs) - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-released.html

There are plenty of other similar setups, but it was an easy reference point for upgraded, in-tank system.

While a surge tank is probably a little less expensive when you total up the parts, there's the legitimate concern that the fuel system becomes aerated, and the ECU will not trigger a fault code b/c it will "think" that it's still pumping fuel.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Mit Boost
I thought the Surge tank was supposed to prevent that? (aeration). I'm curious if it depends on what type of surge tank. There are the built in fuel pump type and the external type...I'm leaning towards the external setup type. Also, I've seen the surge tanks with the cooling coils in them as well. I would imagine there would be some additional benefits of this style as well.

If I go with the ProEFI 112..which I probably will...it should have some safety parameters that can be set up to prevent any damage if there is a lean condition due to fuel starvation.

I'll check out/study that fuel system. I'm going to build my own system (piece together) to save some coin.

Thanks!!
Scot

Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
Older thread, but I would recommend the Undercover Tuning /Saad Racing fuel upgrade (optioned to suit your fueling needs) - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-released.html

There are plenty of other similar setups, but it was an easy reference point for upgraded, in-tank system.

While a surge tank is probably a little less expensive when you total up the parts, there's the legitimate concern that the fuel system becomes aerated, and the ECU will not trigger a fault code b/c it will "think" that it's still pumping fuel.