996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Watkins Glen Track Photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Watkins Glen Track Photos

Well, it was off to Watkins Glen for a DE last week and it was fun. The weather was questionable for the few days leading up to the event and it held out for my first session out there, but that was it. I fueled up at the track with Sunoco GT100 and set the car in Race Mode with my flashloader. Incidentally, our first session was abnormally long at almost 40 minutes and I used about ¾ of a tank of gas!!!!!! A tank full of the race fuel was about $70. Surprisingly, race fuel prices haven’t jumped up like regular pump fuel. Anyway…

The Rain Gods decided we were due for some precipitation and let it go on us after my first session. I met Rockitman up there for his first track day and instructed him as well. His enthusiasm was stellar and he really did well for his first time out. I included some photos of him as well.

There is a funny story about one of my times out…..
The fastest part of this track is the back straight, right after the “esses” and immediately before the “bus-stop”. I would get the car up to about 155-160 before braking had to commence. Well, I wanted to check my speed a few times and, as I said, I would be in the neighborhood of 160. Several laps after my initial check, my speed seemed to be decreasing!!!! What was going on? I couldn’t figure it out. It seemed like every lap was slower than the previous lap. I was really starting to get worried.
If some of you will recall, I have the 320 Techart wheel on the car, which doesn’t allow me to see the mechanical dials of the speedo or tach. I typically go by sound and feel for shifting and the digital for speed checks.
My problem was, since I was only glancing down at that speed, I keep seeing the “Miles to Empty” readout instead of the digital speedo!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!!!!!!!
I couldn’t believe it!!! How funny is that? It explains why each lap was slower than the previous one!!!!!

Hilarious

Anyway, here are some pictures of me, with watermarks until I receive my ordered versions:

And one of me, courtesy of Rockitman:

And a few of Rockitman:

Last edited by KPV; 10-13-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
TTM0TION is infamous around these parts
That is absolutly amazing, both cars look incredible(Rockit love the RS wing). I hope to one day be able to do these events in my car as well. KPV how long does it take you to get there?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Beautiful pictures as usual. Rockitman, must have been scary doing your very first trackday while it's raining.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
B7R
B7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura about
Very Beautiful Pictures .... any GT3 RS ?

Old 10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Wow looks like you guys had a great time, i cant wait to go when i get my 996tt

Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Stephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura about
Really Nice pictures! Thanks for posting them

Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by 03-turbo911
Rockitman, must have been scary doing your very first trackday while it's raining.
Damn straight it was (rwd, no TC). Not as bad as I predicted though. Later in the day, there was too much water, so I did the smart thing and went home forgoing 1 hour worth of track time...

Old 10-15-2005, 12:46 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Here is another higher resolution version of one of them........

Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 PM
MattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud of
Very nice, looks like fun.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 AM
t2_996420 is infamous around these partst2_996420 is infamous around these parts
KPV - your estimates of speed seems right on - I was there back on Labor Day Weekend for three days - I was downshifting to third at the end of the front straight , track out and grab 4th before turn 2 then hammer 4th to redline in the esses and up to 5th just on track out on the back straight - take 5th deep to 600 feet, down to 4th at 600, down to 3rd at 250 and threshold brake then right before going into the bustop. I have a stock X50 with PCCB's. I'll be back there again next year for sure.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Bob M is infamous around these parts
Great pictures! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Watkins Glen is on my must drive track list too. 40 minute drive sessions?? Wow!! How did your car/tires hold up Ken? It looks like you put some kind of film on the hood and front fenders, am I right? What did you use? Did it do the job for you?

Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
KPV
Tom,
Good to see you here. It has been quite a while since we spoke. I seem to recall it was at Pocono last year. I hope all is well with you. Glad to see you still have the car.

Bob,
It was only by freak coincidence that we were out for as long as we were. The novices were out after us and they weren't out of the classroom yet so I guess we benefitted. Typically, they are 20 minute sessions. In any case, I used up about 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank of race gas during that one session!! $$$!!!
There is track wrap on the vulnerable parts. It comes in 24" x 50' rolls and has a slight tack to the back side. I have used it for two seasons so far and it is a really good product. I pay $25/roll. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Ken,
Looks like you guys had a blast. I love coming up the hill at The Glen through those two turns where the pictures were taken. It is just wicked fun!

40 minutes of driving would have had me sweating like a pig! Even when I'm out in 20 minute sessions, the stress, strength, and concentration needed to drive safely at those speeds leaves me drenched.

Let me know about VIR. If not, I hope you have a good time at Lime Rock.
Dave

Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
KPV
Dave,
THe cool daily temp was enough to keep me cool! LOL
Thanks for reminding me. I need to call to see if I have a spot at Lime Rock. I will let you know. VIR will be pretty costly. It will be about $1K for the track, food, gas and lodging and then another $1K for two new rear tires. My current tires will last one more track day, but not three. Stay tuned.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Bob M is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the tip on the track wrap Ken. I kepp thinking about having the hood and nose on my TT repainted, but keep putting it off not wanting to expose new paint to rubber, sand and other debris at the track. Sounds like this would do a pretty good job keeping the it protected.

Besides seeing you were down 3/4's after 40 minutes, did you happen to check your mpg? I go through gas fast too usually in the 5mpg range. I used the Sunoco GT 100 at my last event as well. Good stuff, the motor loved it! I think I paid somewhere around $4.50Gal.

A $1000 for 2 tires???? What are you running? Inquiring minds want to know!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Track Photos