996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rainy area, coupe or cab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Rainy area, coupe or cab?

I came across a few cabriolets, and these listings have got me thinking. Can anyone who has or currently own a cab list pros/cons, esp those who live in areas where there it rains quite a bit?

If I lived in a predominantly sunny area, cabs sound like lots of fun. But alas I do not.

I live in the outskirts of Seattle where it literally rains over half the year. Depressing I know....

One issue would be rear visibility; it looks like compared to their coupe counterparts, cabs have smaller rear window and large "C pillars" when the top is up. Yesterday there was a rain storm that brought in 2" rain in one day, hard enough to see out...

What about soft top wear? I would guess excessive rain/snow would cause more wear/tear of the soft top.

Thoughts?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
I was never into cab cars...thats just me... another thing to worry about..like electronics

Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I have a cabriolet and I used it as my daily driver. That includes rain, snow, and all forms of bad weather. The cabriolet is very quiet and very water-tight. To me, the inconvenience of reduced visibility when the top is closed is overcome by the fantastic driving experience when the top is opened. If you regularly treat and protect your top with a good quality product like Ragg Topp, it will last for a long time.

Get the cabriolet!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I live up in Vancouver with similar client. To me a sports car is a cabriolet/convertible and I have had and enjoyed many convertibles with no weather issue. The fun with the top down way overcomes any negative in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have a cabriolet and I used it as my daily driver. That includes rain, snow, and all forms of bad weather. The cabriolet is very quiet and very water-tight. To me, the inconvenience of reduced visibility when the top is closed is overcome by the fantastic driving experience when the top is opened. If you regularly treat and protect your top with a good quality product like Ragg Topp, it will last for a long time.

Get the cabriolet!
How would you compare the coupe vs the cab in terms of interior space? Have you had a coupe before?

How is the rear seating? I've heard the rear seats in the cab are more "upright" compared to the coupe. Not sure if my 7yr old child would be bothered by this...

Originally Posted by Snowczar
I live up in Vancouver with similar client. To me a sports car is a cabriolet/convertible and I have had and enjoyed many convertibles with no weather issue. The fun with the top down way overcomes any negative in my opinion.
I have never had a convertible before, and from pics alone I prefer the exterior styling and lines of the coupe... but the thought of having a convertible is quite "fun" and luxurious... And I have to agree, when the weather is nice there is nothing like being exposed to the open sun and wind!

Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
coupes are serious cabs are a word that is no longer politically correct, and once meant happy i dont care who has one lol.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docboy
How would you compare the coupe vs the cab in terms of interior space? Have you had a coupe before?

How is the rear seating? I've heard the rear seats in the cab are more "upright" compared to the coupe. Not sure if my 7yr old child would be bothered by this...

I have never had a convertible before, and from pics alone I prefer the exterior styling and lines of the coupe... but the thought of having a convertible is quite "fun" and luxurious... And I have to agree, when the weather is nice there is nothing like being exposed to the open sun and wind!

I've had both coupes and cabs in both regular 911 strength and Turbos. I now have an 04 Turbo cab and love it. There is no difference in the interior at all between coupe and cab, and the back seats are too straight up in either one. That said, my teenage daughters still love to go for rides and have no problem sitting back there.

Get a hardtop and you have the best of both worlds. Unless you are a hardcore track guy, go topless. I've never wished - never - that I had a coupe instead.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:47 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i should add for fear of offending owners of cabriolets, that whenever i'm feeling a bit "lighthearted" i do open the sunroof. but that isn't very often.

sunroof delete. now yer talkin lol

Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold

I had a 996 C4S coupe before I bought the 997 TT cabriolet. I would say that the interior space is comparable. The seats may be a bit more upright in the cab, but not by much.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
drive both and buy the one you enjoy more...both drive very well and the cab isn't much of a compromise as a daily outside of reduced visibility and a few extra moving parts...rear seats in cab are more usable then coupe with roof down...
my dad is 996tt shopping, same dilemma-cab or coupe...open to either

Old 03-19-2015, 06:05 AM
jwex16 is infamous around these parts
I have had 3 cabs and the visibility is fine. Better with the hardtop, but fine without. The cars are so tight I do not notice any additional body flex. The hardtop makes it a quieter car for sure. The top is so easy to use and reliable/durable that you can use it whenever the opportunity arises.

I am actually selling mine. check out craigslist in Phila or rennlist classifieds if you have an interest in something on the other coast.

Enjoy whatever you buy

Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Seattleite here. I'm also not a fan of Cab's, however- I don't think the 996 has any history of any sort of leaking or anything. So if you have to have it, its probably no issue.

Edit: Another thing; road noise. Road noise is higher on a cab for sure (for obvious reasons).

Last edited by TabooPc; 03-19-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold

I've had Cabs and coupes. The fun with the top down outweighs all other considerations and as far as I'm concerned the rear seat area is for storage not people.