996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Engine pulling experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Have removed engines/transmissions from my 911SC and 930 working off the floor. Getting ready to remove the assembly from my 996tt,fortunately I have the use of a 2 post lift this time around. Unfortunately I am 10 years older, grumpier and will be working alone.Appreciate having a guide to work with as this job looks to be a whole lot more involved. Thank you for taking the time to document your efforts!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Careful not to crack your intake manifold on the driver side lowering it. Be safe.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
intake manifold

Will make note of this...thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:31 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
This is great thanks for your time!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Been picking away at this for the last week or so a couple of hours at a time. Marking all the fasteners, bagging all removed parts taking lots of pictures and generally taking my time. Looks like tomorrow is engine out day. Considering what is involved getting the engine out of this beast and the fact that there is 55,000 miles on it, is there anything I should be looking at prior to installing...any adjustments, parts that wear out at this mileage, known weak points?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 PM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
Hey there,

1. Glad this is helpful to someone
2. You can actually get away without removing the axles, its tight, but as someone pointed out it DOES work. Saves a bit of trouble
3. Pin your coolant pipes while the engine is out. Its so incredibly easy when its already out!
4. Replace any old looking Coolant hoses
5. Its stupid easy to do the fuel filter and coolant reservoir when the engine is out. If they are due - do it
6. OMG its easy to do the coils and plugs, you should seriously consider them while this is out
7. I plugged all my ports and pressure washed the engine. It was nasty, now it looks nearly new. Granted, you cant see it in the car but I felt better about putting a clean engine into the car. Probably OCD on my part...
8. Alot of the 60k service is much easier to do engine out. You have 55k, do the 60k service NOW

Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by crash41301
Hey there,

1. Glad this is helpful to someone
2. You can actually get away without removing the axles, its tight, but as someone pointed out it DOES work. Saves a bit of trouble
3. Pin your coolant pipes while the engine is out. Its so incredibly easy when its already out!
4. Replace any old looking Coolant hoses
5. Its stupid easy to do the fuel filter and coolant reservoir when the engine is out. If they are due - do it
6. OMG its easy to do the coils and plugs, you should seriously consider them while this is out
7. I plugged all my ports and pressure washed the engine. It was nasty, now it looks nearly new. Granted, you cant see it in the car but I felt better about putting a clean engine into the car. Probably OCD on my part...
8. Alot of the 60k service is much easier to do engine out. You have 55k, do the 60k service NOW
Had to do the plugs & coils this past summer as they were original and in rough shape. Reservoir looks OK but the fuel filter is a must. Can totally identify with the OCD thing, will pressure wash the engine and anything that has dirt on it, actually looking at powdercoating a few things as well.....have access to this process in the shop I am doing the car in. Have a complete clutch, slave cylinder, accumulator and a bunch of new hoses as well. Will look up what is required for the 60k service. Appreciate you taking the time to respond and have found your directions most helpful.
Thank you.......

Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Well, engine/tranny now safely sitting on a steel table awaiting surgery.....game on! :-)

Old 10-26-2016, 04:58 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Nice work keep us posted!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by brockster
Nice work keep us posted!
Thanks! Would hang a few photos if I could figure out how to manage...not entirely computer literate

Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bushrat
Thanks! Would hang a few photos if I could figure out how to manage...not entirely computer literate

That's okay, most guys are great picture takers and can't turn a wrench !

Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Take lots of pics, upload them to Photobucket, link from there. Once you have them lots of folks can help you post them, taking them is the important part! I find having pictures helps me put things back together properly

Old 10-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Take lots of pics, upload them to Photobucket, link from there. Once you have them lots of folks can help you post them, taking them is the important part! I find having pictures helps me put things back together properly
Photobucket did mention that I am somewhat computer illiterate. Anyhow, have been advised to replace all the O'rings on my 60,000 mile motor while I have it out......will be taking plenty of pictures

Old 10-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
use tinypic.com. its super easy

Old 10-29-2016, 06:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996TT Engine pulling experience