996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Autoweek New 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Ruiner
Eh, I was thinking 460hp at the minimum for the base being that it will be a 3.8L now. Like you said, we'll see. We need to get together. I wanna see your car!
Even with the 3.8, i don't see the HP jump that much - porsche has never done this... doesn't mean i wouldn't like them to, just don't think that they will

we do need to get together - i've been doing so many calls that I don't even realize what day it is. i have yet to install one thing on this car even though i've already spent plenty of money - just sitting in the living room i did get the pocketlogger program and installed the software but have yet to hook that up to the car either

Old 11-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Lizard1
Even with the 3.8, i don't see the HP jump that much - porsche has never done this... doesn't mean i wouldn't like them to, just don't think that they will

we do need to get together - i've been doing so many calls that I don't even realize what day it is. i have yet to install one thing on this car even though i've already spent plenty of money - just sitting in the living room i did get the pocketlogger program and installed the software but have yet to hook that up to the car either
I agree, but 3.8L and still 10lbs of boost should reach over 450hp, probably closer to 470hp. The 993 stayed at 3.6L for the TT, so hence the small change of 7hp for the US version.

You really need to get with it! I am sure that your car is missing you as is... Pretty soon, she will get lonely and depressed. At least she will have a "playmate" if i come over to visit. We'll be in touch...

Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Dock, I cannot forsee Porsche pushing the 500hp envelope for the stock 911 turbo and definitely not hitting mid 11s @ 125mph (that will take more than 500hp in my opinion). To increase the car 85hp over the previous gen is a rather large jump that Porsche isn't know for.

I forsee 475hp, perhaps a smidge more weight, and the "S" might hit 500hp. I guess we'll see...
I think you are seriously underrating the car, but as of now we wont know.. But check it out, stock X50 has around 450/450 and does 3.7 0-60 and 11.8 1/4 mile... The 997turbo can easily achieve lower numbers than that

Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
the 911 turbo has historically always been the "bad boy" on the block, with tremendous performance, including straight line speed. Porsche would make a mistake to ignore the horsepower war that has been raging recently. It does matter to the potential customer. If it's not up to par with the F430 and Corvette Z06, they may not build more "loyalists" even if the current ones still swear by the brand. I would hate if Porsche only appealed to the "hey look at me I've got a Porsche" posers, and ignore the enthusiasts to whom PERFORMANCE is paramount. For that group, like here on this board, If it doesn't perform with the best of them, it won't matter how much "heritage" the company has. The arch-enemy of the 911 turbo, the F430, now has 490 hp, and the 997 turbo needs to at least match that.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:41 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Dock, I cannot forsee Porsche pushing the 500hp envelope for the stock 911 turbo and definitely not hitting mid 11s @ 125mph (that will take more than 500hp in my opinion). To increase the car 85hp over the previous gen is a rather large jump that Porsche isn't know for.

I forsee 475hp, perhaps a smidge more weight, and the "S" might hit 500hp. I guess we'll see...
yea, I definately dont see 125 happening in the turbo w/ AWD in stock form.

But as we all know, porsche has been pretty conservative on their published numbers the last few years w/ their turbo'd cars

Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Porsche needs to stick their head up out of the sand and realize that they do not dictate the market. When the 996 TT came out they were competing with 396 hp Ferrari 360's, 405 hp Z06's, 400 hp M5's, & 355 hp E55's. Now the Ferrari F430 has 483 hp (+87 hp bump), the Z06 is 505 hp (+100 hp), the new M5/M6 will have 500 hp (+100 hp), and new AMG's are looking at 503 hp. You have to take a look at the landscape, and realize 20 hp bumps won't keep you even close to the game. If the new 997TT comes in anywhere close to 450 hp I wouldn't consider it. There are those that will always but a Porsche because it's a Porsche. then there are those that will look around at other cars, but get a Porsche if it makes the most sense. I am in the 2nd group. If it comes out at 450-475 hp I would seriously shop an M6, or some of the new AMG cars. 500hp is the new hp level. Be there or be left behind.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:16 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Fanman
Porsche needs to stick their head up out of the sand and realize that they do not dictate the market. When the 996 TT came out they were competing with 396 hp Ferrari 360's, 405 hp Z06's, 400 hp M5's, & 355 hp E55's. Now the Ferrari F430 has 483 hp (+87 hp bump), the Z06 is 505 hp (+100 hp), the new M5/M6 will have 500 hp (+100 hp), and new AMG's are looking at 503 hp. You have to take a look at the landscape, and realize 20 hp bumps won't keep you even close to the game. If the new 997TT comes in anywhere close to 450 hp I wouldn't consider it. There are those that will always but a Porsche because it's a Porsche. then there are those that will look around at other cars, but get a Porsche if it makes the most sense. I am in the 2nd group. If it comes out at 450-475 hp I would seriously shop an M6, or some of the new AMG cars. 500hp is the new hp level. Be there or be left behind.
Your right, but dont listen to any of these people, they have no clue what porsche will be pumpin out of the 997tt, and it wont be 450hp either!

Old 11-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by iLLM3
Your right, but dont listen to any of these people, they have no clue what porsche will be pumpin out of the 997tt, and it wont be 450hp either!
Have you heard something from a more reliable source?

Old 11-05-2005, 03:27 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by variable
Have you heard something from a more reliable source?
of course not, he's speculating against others speculations

Old 11-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Fanman
If it comes out at 450-475 hp I would seriously shop an M6, or some of the new AMG cars. 500hp is the new hp level. Be there or be left behind.

If you are cross shopping a 997TT and the rest of those cars you listed because of their power, You aren't in it for the reasons most are. The TT is alot more of a sports car then the AMG and M cars.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
of course not, he's speculating against others speculations
Hahaha, it just doesnt make sense, think about it!

And my good friend is sales manager at porsche, he probably knows a little more than we do and he said it will be 500+, so who knows

Old 11-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Hahaha, it just doesnt make sense, think about it!

And my good friend is sales manager at porsche, he probably knows a little more than we do and he said it will be 500+, so who knows
I'm sorry, but the porsche sales manager guys don't know anymore then some of the sources here

NO ONE KNOWS what it's gonna be except the guys building them right now

Old 11-05-2005, 04:00 PM

I hope he is right. But he may just be trying to hype the car for potential customers, to get them to sign their name at the dotted line.

In the end it's time for Porsche to have a look around at the current landscape. They could get away with incremental hp increases in the past, but not any longer. On top of that they should be decreasing weight with all their new lightweight materials, not increasing it! And stop mass producing these things, killing the exclusivity.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:02 PM
If they can sell them, **** it, make as many as they can. And decreasing weight won't happen unfortunately. For everything they lighten up, the add in some comfort feature to balance it out

Old 11-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
If they can sell them, **** it, make as many as they can. And decreasing weight won't happen unfortunately. For everything they lighten up, the add in some comfort feature to balance it out
Screw comfort Seriously, that belongs in a high end sedan, not a sportscar. Less is more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autoweek New 997 Turbo