996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrade Turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Andrew708
Question Upgrade Turbos

WHO SELLS UPGRADED TURBOS??(K24'S) I WANT TO DO THEM ASAP.....THANKS FOR THE INFO

Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Sean is infamous around these parts
Re: Upgrade Turbos

Originally posted by AndrewTT
WHO SELLS UPGRADED TURBOS??(K24'S)
I recommend Ruf

Great to have seen you on Saturday Andrew...the sound of your exhausts is unbeatable! See ya at the next meet in August.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:20 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Does the X50 come with K24s? Is the entire motor setup the same one in the TT X50 as in the GT2? TIA

Old 07-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ben, lj
Does the X50 come with K24s? Is the entire motor setup the same one in the TT X50 as in the GT2? TIA
Yes to both questions. Both cars use the same motor and turbos, but the GT2's ECU is tuned to generate slightly more boost, thereby accounting for the slightly higher hp rating.

Sean,

I wasn't aware that RUF sells stand-alone turbos for the 996TT. Are you sure about that?

Old 07-21-2003, 12:27 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Upgrade Turbos

Originally posted by AndrewTT
WHO SELLS UPGRADED TURBOS??(K24'S) I WANT TO DO THEM ASAP.....THANKS FOR THE INFO
You could try Kevin at Alamo Turbos. He's really cool to deal with and I'm having mine done there. David (VA) has had a lot of luck/fun with his work as have a few others I know of...

Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Sean is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Craig

Sean,

I wasn't aware that RUF sells stand-alone turbos for the 996TT. Are you sure about that?
just teasing Craig. Actually, Andrew and I were together at a M5 meet (in Long Island) on Saturday and had a mildly spirited run on one of the local highways. My car had a slight edge. I happen to have some Ruf stuff done to my car and it runs decently. Consequently, I'm being a loyal Ruf client and recommending to Andrew that he should get a Ruf-ready set up rather than just the upgrade to K24s.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Gotcha -- thanks for the clarification Sean. I too am a satisfied RUF customer (exhaust).

Old 07-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Ron @ PESTuning is infamous around these parts
Or you can contact me at PES Tuning.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:17 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
As some of you might know, I am waiting for a the new ball-bearing turbo's from EVOMS. Looks like availibility won't be for awhile now.

I don't think I can wait and might just go for the KKK24 which I had originaly on my X50. The propelors were shot by the way, so I need brand new turbos.

If someone could provide me with pricing and availability I might just not wait for those turbos. I have not driven my car in over 6 weeks and can't wait any longer !

thanks,
Fred

Old 07-24-2003, 04:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by fredttx50
As some of you might know, I am waiting for a the new ball-bearing turbo's from EVOMS. Looks like availibility won't be for awhile now.

I don't think I can wait and might just go for the KKK24 which I had originaly on my X50. The propelors were shot by the way, so I need brand new turbos.

If someone could provide me with pricing and availability I might just not wait for those turbos. I have not driven my car in over 6 weeks and can't wait any longer !

thanks,
Fred
Hey Fred have you tried Kevin at Alamo Turbos? He's really helpful even if you don't end up buying from him. He'll give you all your options from straigh K24s to hyrbids and ball bearings he has and does them all for a good price...

Old 07-25-2003, 03:55 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I can say that Kevin is a really nice guy and was quite helpful/informative when I was trouble-shooting my boost problem. Someone, and I can't remember if it was him or Dan at BD said that they DID NOT favor K-24's for the car, but it might have been b/c mine was not an X-50 like yours. They did say they liked the hybrid set-up. Kevin's # is 1-800-838-3064. Be forewarned: he's hard to get off the phone once he gets going.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Red Devil
I can say that Kevin is a really nice guy and was quite helpful/informative when I was trouble-shooting my boost problem. Someone, and I can't remember if it was him or Dan at BD said that they DID NOT favor K-24's for the car, but it might have been b/c mine was not an X-50 like yours. They did say they liked the hybrid set-up. Kevin's # is 1-800-838-3064. Be forewarned: he's hard to get off the phone once he gets going.
Yeah I really like him. David (VA) showed me the way but a lot of folks in the Bay Area of gone through him for Turbo upgrades. He really is helpful and so enthusiatic, which suits me 'cos I'm the same way

Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Looks like I must have gotten the last set in stock. Honestly, after having driven the EVO test mule equipped with the ball bearing turbos, I would wait it out until they get the new units in. Besides the significant improvement in power, the car is infinitely more driveable. Having owned a number of tuner cars in the past, I can say that the initial rush of the new found power wains pretty quickly. Afterwhich, if the car is not driveable, reliable, etc., you'll quickly tire of it and it will be money down the drain.

Just my $0.02.