996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I think I found my misfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute

Every plane of this coil (#4) had cracks in it!

On a positive note, the plugs looked great! I still installed new replacements, but the condition of these makes me confident the old lump will be back to her best with the new coils.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Now the coils can work flawlessly with those cracks, as the enviroment where they are are pretty harsh.
But if you have misfire, start with getting new plugs and coils

Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Looks rich

Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !

In my experience a misfire usually points to a leak on the pressure side. Coils and plugs would not hurt though

Old 08-24-2015, 08:09 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
coil + plugs and misfire will be gone. Pull down the rubber boot/spark plug connectors, see more cracks, this is where they start cracking in my experiences...

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I have had bad coils cause misfires more than once, you should see a nice difference.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Looks rich
Crappy iphone pic. Came out very dark. I agree if they really looked that colour that would indicate a mildly rich condition.

The colour is actually much lighter than in the pic.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by timccloud
In my experience a misfire usually points to a leak on the pressure side. Coils and plugs would not hurt though
My car was running fine unless I gave it full throttle/boost, then huge misfires and a CEL with "Drive to garage" on the dash.
Durametric indicated excessive misfires on cylinder 4. Spot on diagnosis IMHO based on the state of that coil.
All the other coils looked just fine.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I always tell clients to change plugs and coils especially on tuned cars...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
cracked coils, solved

Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 AM
NormalFellow is infamous around these parts
It wont be the plugs in your case, however, your symptoms lead to electrical... In your case, battery or charging system and/or cracked ignition coils. My prediction here, if im correct, is that you probably didnt change out the coils when you changed out those plugs? Best way to check, pull off the 4 T-30 chrome bolts to remove the coil covers on the drivers side.. then remove the first two coils and carefully examine for cracks in the boot... It might even look like a line that is from oem, so check carefully. And for battery, check the date.... If its anything close to or around the 5 year mark(give or take a year), then high chances it is the battery. And hence, the crc intake valve cleaning helps here too... less load on the engine.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure that guy has fixed his misfires by now... That post was from 5 year ago...

Old 01-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
I'm pretty sure that guy has fixed his misfires by now... That post was from 5 year ago...
Holy thread resurrection

Just to close this off, I replaced all 6 coils with with the latest Porsche parts and plugs with OEM equivalents. No misfires since then.

Of course, now I'll have gone and jinxed myself....