996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

short shifter for our cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
short shifter for our cars

Originally Posted by leftlane
Related question - I can't do this swap myself. Every indy I've asked for an estimate to install a SS have quoted 3 hours - when most of the folks on here say it should take an hour. The dealer is even worse - more time and a higher labor charge.

What should they really be charging for this? Every kit seems to indicate it would be an hour's worth of labor - why would the pros take so much longer?
When I originally installed the B&M, it took me about 1.5 hours. Most of that was removing the stock shift lever by cutting the plastic bushings and installing the B&M lever in the factory base unit.
Swapped the 997SSK in the other day and since it's a whole drop in unit vs. the B&M, it took me about 25 minutes to swap. 3 hours is retarded. Just be careful with all plastic trim parts and it's a super easy install with very basic tools.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:51 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
any idea on the 997ssk ??

Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
any idea on the cost for a 997ssk . think it took me about an hour to put in the b&m , it was 4 years ago or more

Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
Hi Steve,

No affiliation - Suncoast has the 997 SSK for $430 here:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/X99742498300.html

If you aren't looking for a major reduction in shift throw (it advertises 15% shorter over the 996 version), they also have the regular 997 shifter for $250 here:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/X99742498300.html

I ended up replacing my B&M shifter with the 997 SSK a few years ago because the B&M was sooooo notchy (kind of like a rifle bolt). The 997 SSK was a pretty big difference in terms of smoothness & overall feel; I would highly recommend the updated part to anyone.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:08 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
I would not recommend the standard 997 shifter as a paid upgrade over the standard 996 shifter. I've driven my buddies 997.1 Turbo and his shifter was only marginally better than my stock 996 shifter. Definitely not worth $250. 997 SSK all the way.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:16 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vogz
I would not recommend the standard 997 shifter as a paid upgrade over the standard 996 shifter. I've driven my buddies 997.1 Turbo and his shifter was only marginally better than my stock 996 shifter. Definitely not worth $250. 997 SSK all the way.
I agree - I did just this and it was a waste of time and money. Now I have one of the ssk shifters that several others bought on an EBay deal and had good reviews but I haven't had it installed yet and probably won't if it's going to cost me $400 to do it.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by leftlane
I agree - I did just this and it was a waste of time and money. Now I have one of the ssk shifters that several others bought on an EBay deal and had good reviews but I haven't had it installed yet and probably won't if it's going to cost me $400 to do it.
It's not hard, do it yourself. I installed my Numeric in an hour or two.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 PM
mxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Shameless plug but I have a 997.2 GT3 shifter for sale. It's not "as short" as the SSK kit (claimed 26% GT3 vs 35% SSK for 996) but it tightens things up quite a bit since it has metal bushings. Only reason for the change was got a good deal on a numeric with cables.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...3-shifter.html

Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mxracer
Shameless plug but I have a 997.2 GT3 shifter for sale. It's not "as short" as the SSK kit (claimed 26% GT3 vs 35% SSK for 996) but it tightens things up quite a bit since it has metal bushings. Only reason for the change was got a good deal on a numeric with cables.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...3-shifter.html
This is an excellent shifter and I would choose it over the 997SSK. Good luck with the sale..

Old 09-12-2015, 03:23 PM
suncoast may have a new customer thanks for the info

Old 09-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
I will prompt this comment with I respect your opinions and you normally post in a very educated and informative way, but you can not be more off basis.....

CAE is "function" first.......it is created so there is less fatigue, less arm and hand movement, taller shifter creates more time on the wheel, with super short and precise shifts, reverse lockout and a strong centering spring. You are making a grandiose opinion because you have no first hand experience. Also those GT3 cup cars you see I would bet big money are always running the super high priced cup care shifters, thats what they run around here but there are also a lot of guys who run the CAE shifter.

The reason I bought the CAE shifter because its amazing and precise and it was for function first, no chance of misshifts with a H pattern shifter because of the strong centering spring....

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I think the CAE is very nice looking and certainly a high quality German made product but I don't believe I would like having the shifter so high up, but that's just me. It seem to me having the shifter so high up would be a bit fatiguing but I could be wrong. With that said, it is a very cool looking blingy shifter with all it's guts exposed and in your face. It will undoubtedly draw a log of attention at cars and coffee which is in and of itself is a big selling point for some.

I like to keep things simple and after getting burned countless times before, I try to stay away from aftermarket parts to the greatest extent possible. They usually come with a downside. As such I will always go with a factory Porsche Motorsport part if that is an option. The PMNA Cup shifters have been proven and tested in countless hours under the harshest race conditions for over 15 years now. The shifter just plain works and to me feels absolutely perfect. It is a direct bolt on as it uses the same frame like all the OEM Porsche shifter. Granted, I use the shifter in conjunction with Cup cables and a Cup gear selector lever both of which play a part in the overall feel. Elite1 above runs the exact same set up that I have. The difference between it and the 997SSK I used before is profound. I would not change a thing and have yet to hear of a single Cup shifter falling apart, unlike another aftermarket shifter that has had numerous failures of both the shifter lever and shifter bearings. A number of guys installed those in their GT3s and I've already seem a few of them being removed and put up for sale.

As far as the Cae, I'd love to drive a car with one but have yet to see anyone run one in their Cup car or GT3 which is very telling to me. For anyone spending $2000+ per hour operating a Cup car, adding a $1300 Cae shifter would be peanuts in the scheme of things, especially if it provided an improvement over the OEM cup shifter. However, you just don't see them which is very telling in an of itself.. Generally, if there is a better mousetrap, word spreads quickly and you will have guys running it at the track. Just my $0.02....

Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
I will prompt this comment with I respect your opinions and you normally post in a very educated and informative way, but you can not be more off basis.....

CAE is "function" first.......it is created so there is less fatigue, less arm and hand movement, taller shifter creates more time on the wheel, with super short and precise shifts, reverse lockout and a strong centering spring. You are making a grandiose opinion because you have no first hand experience. Also those GT3 cup cars you see I would bet big money are always running the super high priced cup care shifters, thats what they run around here but there are also a lot of guys who run the CAE shifter.

The reason I bought the CAE shifter because its amazing and precise and it was for function first, no chance of misshifts with a H pattern shifter because of the strong centering spring....
I'm not knocking the CAE at all. Like I said, I'd love to try one but have yet to come across anyone using one in their GT2/3/Cup or any track car for that matter. It might be the best shifter out there and if it is, it will sell itself, become very popular and you will see more of them being used. No doubt in my mind..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-13-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
CAE is nice but silly looking for a street car. The Numeric works very, very well when setup properly.

Honestly, the best thing I did was add the detent to the trans and now every gear feels 100x better.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
if i hadn't picked up my 997ssk for a hundred bucks, i'd have paid the 600+ for the numeric and gone with the cables as well.

but I've had the simple ol 997ssk for years and dont ever remember missing a shift and it IS much more "precise" and less sloppy than the oem 996. which i suppose all can agree is awful. i got my moneys worth, thats for sure. i do not like "notchy", and it isn't.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Really like my Numeric shifter (~2 years). The shop (a Numeric dealer) installed it in about 45 minutes.

A few choices out there that are better than stock.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 09-14-2015 at 04:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: short shifter for our cars