996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any Plastic Repair Experts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Any Plastic Repair Experts?

Working on my Turbo Cab I found this broken plastic part that activates a small flap on the top mechanism.

I doesn't look critical to the operation but I'd like to fix or replace it none the less. I searched diagrams on AA website but could not locate the part. It must be part of a larger assembly and maybe not sold separately.

It's about 7 inches long and the end was still attached to under the clam shell drivers side. I'd like to use glue or cement and repair it but I don't know the type of plastic. It has a grainy appearance at the break like that of rock or stone.

Any plastic experts out there that would know what plastics are typically used in automotive components of this nature? It was definitely die cast and does not seem flexible or waxy. My fingernail cannot scratch it and it seems quite hard.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060783.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	428190  
Old 09-13-2015, 03:10 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
gorilla glue. If there's room with no interference you could use a metal support glued in= back area?

Last edited by rmc1148; 09-13-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:11 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick49
Working on my Turbo Cab I found this broken plastic part that activates a small flap on the top mechanism. I doesn't look critical to the operation but I'd like to fix or replace it none the less. I searched diagrams on AA website but could not locate the part. It must be part of a larger assembly and maybe not sold separately. It's about 7 inches long and the end was still attached to under the clam shell drivers side. I'd like to use glue or cement and repair it but I don't know the type of plastic. It has a grainy appearance at the break like that of rock or stone. Any plastic experts out there that would know what plastics are typically used in automotive components of this nature? It was definitely die cast and does not seem flexible or waxy. My fingernail cannot scratch it and it seems quite hard. Thanks
might be a thermoplastic, I've heard JB Weld is good. I've used it on cast metal and it worked great!

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I'm not sure what type of plastic the part is but I have had really great results with a product called Plast-Aid. It is a 2 part with a powder and a liquid. You are able to mix up small batches to whatever viscosity you need for the application.

I have used it a few times and it is very easy to work with and super strong. I repaired a crack on a plastic cover of an electric gate opener in my driveway. It sits out in the direct sun and rain, been over a year since I repaired it and the repaired area is still the strongest part of the entire cover.

Not sure if it will work in this case. I'm not affiliated in any way, the stuff has just really helped me out a few times.

Here is some info from their website:

++What will Plast-aid® bond to?
When using Plast-aid, two types of bonds are possible: a "chemical" bond and a "mechanical" bond.

In a chemical bond, Plast-aid actually becomes a part of a material on a molecular level. This yields a super-stong permanent bond. Plast-aid forms chemical bonds with PVC, ABS, CPVC, Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Styrene, and any kind of plastic that becomes tacky when Plast-aid®'s liquid is applied to it - learn the test.

In a mechanical bond, Plast-aid forms a super-tight grip to porous materials. For example, notice our "quarter and pvc pipe tee" at the top of the page. Plast-aid® has chemically bonded to the PVC tee, and it is mechanically holding the quarter. It can do this because the quarter has enough roughness for it to grab a hold of. In fact, the hold is so strong that the quarter bends when you try and get it out! Plast-aid forms mechanical bonds to materials such as wood, roughened metal, stone (not polished) or any other porous materials.

Will Plast-aid® cure in the presence of water?
Not only will Plast-aid® cure in the presence of water, it will cure under water! We've had many plumbers and pool & spa repair people testify that this stuff even bonds while pipes and fixtures are leaking and dripping with water. Incredible! ++

Old 09-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
go to your local parts store and get a tube of E6000. its about 7$ and will bond just about anything in 5 minutes and will be super strong. down and done