996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Link to 997.2IC end tank glue fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:46 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Pete, when was the last time you removed them from the car and did a good leak test on yours?
LH popped off before I even stated to suspect anything... But looking my datalogs, knowing now what to look for, from autumn '14 vs spring '15 I might know the day when the soon-to-pop started leaking. Now plastic tanks are off but I will test ICs after aluminium tanks are on.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
LH popped off before I even stated to suspect anything... But looking my datalogs, knowing now what to look for, from autumn '14 vs spring '15 I might know the day when the soon-to-pop started leaking. Now plastic tanks are off but I will test ICs after aluminium tanks are on.
My issue with the 997.2s was not the end tanks. After 4 hard years at the track they were tight as a drum. I actually like the composite end tanks as they have much better insulating properties compared to aluminum. I think the problem with the end tanks is when the tabs are not fully engaged, many of which are not right out of the box. I crimped each tab individually when they were new. It's the cores that were leaking in my case, both in the same spot as you can see in the link below. Not enough to show up on data logs but they leaked. My friend's 997.2s did the same after about 10 track days with VTGs, again leaking in the same areas. Remove your ICs and pressurize them to 25psi. They should hold without any leak down for several minutes. The leak in the core will be on the intake side where the heat gets concentrated. I would make sure your cores are good before spending time and effort welding on aluminum end tanks onto leaky cores. Good luck..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECR...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-03-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:09 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
My issue with the 997.2s was not the end tanks. After 4 hard years at the track they were tight as a drum. I actually like the composite end tanks as they have much better insulating properties compared to aluminum. I think the problem with the end tanks is when the tabs are not fully engaged, many of which are not right out of the box. I crimped each tab individually when they were new. It's the cores that were leaking in my case, both in the same spot as you can see in the link below. Not enough to show up on data logs but they leaked. My friend's 997.2s did the same after about 10 track days with VTGs, again leaking in the same areas. Remove your ICs and pressurize them to 25psi. They should hold without any leak down for several minutes. The leak in the core will be on the intake side where the heat gets concentrated. I would make sure your cores are good before spending time and effort welding on aluminum end tanks onto leaky cores. Good luck..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECR...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for that link, very educational. Yes, you're correct about those loose tabs. If tanks have room to move, they'll wiggle themselves away with boost surges. Glue acts like additional safety wire on top of them.