996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&R Street Coilovers - Done! - Am I happy??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gophaster
Yeah, I think they are 19 only....but I am not going with the 25 series rears that are normally recommended. I will be running 295/30 and 225/40 fronts (like stock). This will have the same amount of sidewall thats on the stock setup, it will be an inch larger overall diameter but i will maintain the stock ratio of diameter front to rear to keep the awd happy. The ride is so smooth right now that I think it will be great with the 19's we shall see...
Will that mean your speedo will read lower than than actual speed with the taller wheels, or is it the other way around?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
The speedo will be reading slightly lower than actual speed...

Just for an idea going from 225/40/18 to 225/40/19:

Speedo Reading
20 mph (32.19 km/h)

Actual Speed
20.8 mph (33.47 km/h)

-----------------------------

Speedo Reading
40 mph (64.37 km/h)

Actual Speed
41.59 mph (66.94 km/h)

---------------------------

Speedo Reading
65 mph (104.61 km/h)

Actual Speed
67.59 mph (108.78 km/h)

Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Ok, so its only marginal. Those are my favorite wheels but was worried about compromised handling with 19". But seeing that the tire wall thickness is the same, it should really ride and handle very similar to our STD 18".

Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimTT
Ok, so its only marginal. Those are my favorite wheels but was worried about compromised handling with 19". But seeing that the tire wall thickness is the same, it should really ride and handle very similar to our STD 18".
Not sure what those wheels weigh, but if the wheel/tire setup is heavier than the factory setup it will negatively affect the ride.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by vogz
Not sure what those wheels weigh, but if the wheel/tire setup is heavier than the factory setup it will negatively affect the ride.
Good point, if I'm not mistaking the last time i asked about weights on 18" Oz they came in a tad lighter than than our hollow spokes

Old 11-11-2015, 10:20 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Good point, if I'm not mistaking the last time i asked about weights on 18" Oz they came in a tad lighter than than our hollow spokes
Yes, just looked it up. The 18 inch OZ wheels are a ~3lbs lighter front and rear, but the 19 inchers are about ~2lbs heavier front and rear.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by vogz
Yes, just looked it up. The 18 inch OZ wheels are a ~3lbs lighter front and rear, but the 19 inchers are about ~2lbs heavier front and rear.
Very good information, thank you.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Trust me I did my homework on these ....There are many wheel manufacturers that are guilty of making very heavy wheels, fortunately OZ is one of the few that offers light wheels at a great price point.

Assuming the correct weight on the Turbo Hollow Spokes below the 19" OZ Formula Wheel is darn close enough to the hollow spokes that it is negligible at best on a street car. The 19" OZ rears are LIGHTER than the hollow spokes....

18" Hollow Spokes
Front -- 22lbs 2oz
Rear -- 26lbs 5oz

19" OZ Formula
Front -- 23.0lbs (keep in mind that the OZ fronts are 8.5" not 8")
Rear -- 25 lbs

If you ask me this is pretty darn impressive!!

Lets not even get into the solid spoke Turbo twists which I believe are
Rear Solids Weigh 32 lbs , Fronts 25.5 lbs

Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM
smit2100 is infamous around these partssmit2100 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the successful installation and all done by you, that's just brilliant. I wish I had done my own install but wasn't too sure I could manage and paid (bent over) someone else to do a a 90% job with my PSS10's.

Your car does look the goods and I guess spacers will improve it even further.
Hi Jim Who did the install and what and how did you find the pss10's. The only place I would take my car for suspension work is Trutrak in North Melbounre (impressed with there work PS They have a cafe out front and and cars they had in workshop the couple of times I have been there is impressive. Not often you see a mint vintage Lambo Miura being worked on and then detailed at a suspension shop by the workshop owner

Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 PM
smit2100 is infamous around these partssmit2100 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the successful installation and all done by you, that's just brilliant. I wish I had done my own install but wasn't too sure I could manage and paid (bent over) someone else to do a a 90% job with my PSS10's.

Your car does look the goods and I guess spacers will improve it even further.
Hi Jim Who did the install and what and how did you find the pss10's. The only place I would take my car for suspension work is Trutrak in North Melbounre (impressed with there work PS They have a cafe out front and and cars they had in workshop the couple of times I have been there is impressive. Not often you see a mint vintage Lambo Miura being worked on and then detailed at a suspension shop by the workshop owner

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Trust me I did my homework on these ....There are many wheel manufacturers that are guilty of making very heavy wheels, fortunately OZ is one of the few that offers light wheels at a great price point.

Assuming the correct weight on the Turbo Hollow Spokes below the 19" OZ Formula Wheel is darn close enough to the hollow spokes that it is negligible at best on a street car. The 19" OZ rears are LIGHTER than the hollow spokes....

18" Hollow Spokes
Front -- 22lbs 2oz
Rear -- 26lbs 5oz

19" OZ Formula
Front -- 23.0lbs (keep in mind that the OZ fronts are 8.5" not 8")
Rear -- 25 lbs

If you ask me this is pretty darn impressive!!

Lets not even get into the solid spoke Turbo twists which I believe are
Rear Solids Weigh 32 lbs , Fronts 25.5 lbs
I was wrong the wheel weights I quoted were for the Carrera lightweight 18s

Front is actually 21.2lbs and rear us 26.2lbs

Found here: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

So you are slightly heaver in front and slightly lighter in back wheel wise. Do you know what the difference in tire weight is with the bigger 19s?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by smit2100

PM sent re my supplier and installer.

Last edited by JimTT; 11-12-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Vogz, the OZ Formula fronts are also wider than the hollow spokes so that would account for the slight increase...and yes the OZ formula rears are actually LIGHTER which is really impressive to me.

Tire weight difference is negligible. In my case for tires I will literally be running the exact same weight in 19" as in 18"...

Conti Extreme Contact 225/40/19 = 22lbs
Pilot PS2 225/40/18 = 22lbs

Conti Extreme Contact 295/30/19 = 27lbs
Pilot PS2 295/30/18 = 27lbs

Last edited by gophaster; 11-11-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Vogz, the OZ Formula fronts are also wider than the hollow spokes so that would account for the slight increase...and yes the OZ formula rears are actually LIGHTER which is really impressive to me.

Tire weight difference is negligible. In my case for tires I will literally be running the exact same weight in 19" as in 18"...

Conti Extreme Contact 225/40/19 = 22lbs
Pilot PS2 225/40/18 = 22lbs

Conti Extreme Contact 295/30/19 = 27lbs
Pilot PS2 295/30/18 = 27lbs
Sweet. I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM
xfader is infamous around these parts
I thought 245/35/19 and 305/30/19 is the preferred sizes for 19"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.