996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drying Soaked Carpets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:16 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Drying Soaked Carpets?

Hi guys

I need a bit of advice on how to dry out absolutely soaking carpets

A few weeks ago, while cleaning the interior I noticed the rear carpet mats were a little damp. I took the mats out to find the rear carpet area soaking wet. I pulled the carpet back and found a massive puddle in the rear footwells.

The carpet was so saturated that I had a pool of water on the floor

I soaked up what was there and squeezed out as much as I could. I then used the vac and a hairdryer to try and dry the remainder. I then left the rear carpet propped up to get some air circulation. I removed several gallons of water from the car and there's still a bit to go (!)

This morning I got into my car and found the drivers footwell is soaking wet. I checked the front when I first noticed the rear carpet was wet, and it was ok at that point. It doesn't look like I can lift the front area to let it air-out, and it's so wet that it'll never dry on its own. I don't know if a vac and airing is going to be up to the task here. The carpets are quite literally saturated in the drivers footwell

So I think my only option is going to be removing the carpets to dry them and inspect everything thoroughly

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions and get some advice on removing the carpets if that's what I need to do

Also, what could have caused this ingress of water to begin with? I'd hate to dry everything out just for it to happen again. Is there a blockage around a drainage area? Or perhaps there's a grommet missing from somewhere?

I've got a few days off over Christmas, so I'm hoping to get it sorted out then

Thanks

Old 12-12-2015, 06:32 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Shopvac and time

But, I'd personally remove the full interior carpet and figure out why you are leaking

Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Thanks for the reply, I do think you're right about having to remove the carpets

I've just been out to have a quick look at it and this is my evaluation so far.......

Front Left Footwell = Dry
Front Right Footwell = Saturated

Rear Left Footwell = Extremely wet
Rear Right Footwell = Saturated

Rear Left carpet (underneath rear passenger seat base) = Saturated
Rear Right carpet (underneath rear passenger seat base) = Extremely wet

I'm hoping somebody will read this, and, from the condition of the various locations, will be able to help me pinpoint where the issue is coming from

Old 12-12-2015, 07:37 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
just happened across this in an unrelated search ..cant see how it'd help but it's about water. yeah, shop vac and industrial heaters aimed inside are about right. ugh.. GL w it.

"The main area to watch for water collection in the 986 thru 997’s is the front cowl area. The front cowl area is located just below the base of the windscreen and has water drains on both sides of the battery. There are two front cowl area cavities where debris such as leaves and dirt can collect and in time clog the front cowl drains. When these drains clog water will accumulate in these cavities and at a point migrate into the interior compartment of the vehicle. Water can also enter the brake system vacuum (power) booster unit damaging the booster and causing the brake system to fail usually with the symptom of a stiff brake pedal.

This is a very common problem so we recommend that you regularly open the front hood and inspect for any debris, keeping these areas clean is critical. Additionally, after washing your car or after having driven in the rain, remove the floor mats and put your hand on the carpet in the front and rear passenger areas. The carpet should be dry, if the carpet is damp or wet further inspection for the water source is needed. Keeping water out of the interior compartment and away from all electronic components is critical for the long term health of your car.When water from any of these cowl areas leak, it will end up inside the vehicle under one or both of the front seats. Unfortunately the immobilizer (antitheft) control unit is mounted at the lowest point under the driver’s seat and is usually the first component to get wet, in most cases rendering the vehicle undriveable. If the immobilizer control unit is damaged it will be an expensive repair as it will require replacement of the control unit and the specialized knowledge and tools of your Porsche technician because computer (control unit) coding and programming will be required.

Additional causes of water intrusion can include a torn cabriolet top ( not relevant! ) faulty weather stripping seals, clogged sunroof drains and missing chassis plugs. Other negative aspects of water intrusion inside an automobile can be rust and corrosion."

Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
its easier to remove from the rear to the front. heres what you won't like. the rear needs the side panels removed the get it out. the front needs the brake and shifter removed to get it out

Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
sunroof drains plugged?
+1 on removing carpet,etc.
Can also try running/driving the car with AC on and heat maxed for a while.

Last edited by 993GT; 12-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
My older Corvettes use to leak and found the best way was to remove carpets find leaks and then reinstall, otherwise I was chasing my tail. Water leaks are one of those things that can be a pain to find/repair. I also agree as noted sunroof drains are a good starting point.

Last edited by rmc1148; 12-12-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all replies and support guys

I've had nothing but bad luck with the car recently, but over my entire ownership I've been very fortunate with only minor issues, so I shouldn't feel too bad I guess

I tried the air-con and heater thing when it was just the rear footwells that were wet. I'd managed to soak up most of the water to begin with and it was starting to work, albeit a little slower than I'd have liked

But when I got in the car this morning and my feet squelched into the carpets I knew I need more drastic action

I thought I'd only have to remove the main carpet, but having inspected under the rear passenger seat bases I know that carpet may have to come out too

Does anybody know the route of the sunroof drainage channels? And from my description of the various areas of my car does it sound like they could be the fault?

I think I should be ok taking the seats, console, and carpets out, but I'm concerned it'll be a far bigger job if I have to start messing with the roof and stripping that out

Old 12-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Initially I wasn't sure if the water was coming from above or below, but since the carpet under the rear seat bases is wet I imagine the water in coming in from up top

Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Excellent, that you. I'll have a look at that first (as well as getting the vac going)

Do we think the front footwell is caused by the drainage area in the battery compartment or from the sunroof? I know it's possible that I have more than one problem going on, but just wondered if the sunroof could cause the front to become soaked too?

Thanks

Last edited by ant_8u; 12-12-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 AM
s481 is infamous around these parts
That sounds like a lot of water.

I had the carpet under my front passenger floor mat wet.

Chased the leak down for almost a year checking drain plugs, sunroof, etc.

Finally came to the conclusion that the windshield seal had finally deteriorated over time & had it removed & re-sealed.

Hasn't been wet since.

Food for thought..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it as a possibility
It's winter time here, and it rains a lot, so that definitely hasn't helped

Current plan of attack is as follows......

Check the sunroof drain hoses
Vac the carpets again
Remove the carpets
Try to find cause/location of leaks

Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Thanks, I'll look into it as a possibility
It's winter time here, and it rains a lot, so that definitely hasn't helped

Current plan of attack is as follows......

Check the sunroof drain hoses
Vac the carpets again
Remove the carpets
Try to find cause/location of leaks
That much water in the carpets best to remove them and vacuum the heck out of them then hang them someplace with a fan blowing on them until they are completely dry. They need to dry quickly to avoid developing a moldy/mildewy odor.

While the carpets are drying you need to wipe up all the water then shop vacuum the car out to get the water out of every nook and cranny and seam.

Then you need to find the source of the leak. As others have mentioned the body water drains are often to blame. But of course the sun roof drains and even the windshield seal can be at fault.

While it probably don't apply in your case, just a bit of an aside actually: I'm dealing with a wet door bottom -- this with my other Porsche -- and the door membrane looks ok but I'm having it replaced. I think the problem is with the side glass seals. But I'll let the tech advise me if these need replacing.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply and advice

When you mention the body water drains what exactly are you referring to?
I'm guessing there are grommets in the floorpan that may have come out?

I did think this could be a cause of the water, but as there's water higher up in the car (underneath the rear passenger seat bases) I'm thinking the water may be coming in from above

(the doesn't necessarily rule out the former though)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drying Soaked Carpets?