996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Rear Wing Nut / mounting hardware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 AM
macmann is infamous around these parts
996 Turbo Rear Wing Nut / mounting hardware

Does anyone know where to obtain the nut that is screwed into the top half of the rear wing on a 996 turbo? They are usually removed to be installed into aftermarket wings. I couldn't find the item on the porsche catalog and believe it comes with the wing only. Anyone can spare one off a wing that they are not using?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by macmann
Does anyone know where to obtain the nut that is screwed into the top half of the rear wing on a 996 turbo? They are usually removed to be installed into aftermarket wings. I couldn't find the item on the porsche catalog and believe it comes with the wing only. Anyone can spare one off a wing that they are not using?
http://rennkit.com/purchase/

Old 01-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the link. They show "coming soon" Do you know if they already selling it and perhaps didn't update their site?

Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 AM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
I am going through the final phases of the design of these with Black Market Racing. The basic design is done right now and just working on the pin location/size to ensure that they are able to be securely locked in place with the rams. Should be finalized in the next week or two.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the link. They show "coming soon" Do you know if they already selling it and perhaps didn't update their site?
working on the prototypes... Not so easy with the internal hex. Should have something soon.

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 01-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Dave,

Looking forward to getting set when they are ready. One of the pins in mine are broken and need to get it replaced.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Dave, Looking forward to getting set when they are ready. One of the pins in mine are broken and need to get it replaced.
should be no problem to drill out the pin and insert a new one. Any machine shop can do this, probably for under $50.

/

Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 PM
sshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
...Not so easy with the internal hex...
Maybe a lil late but no one said that you had to do an internal hex (although that would be nice). If there's a easier way to manufacture the part but still be able to install it go for it. I'm thinking like putting 2 holes in the head...like gas caps on boats to be able to torque it in.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by sshrum
Maybe a lil late but no one said that you had to do an internal hex (although that would be nice). If there's a easier way to manufacture the part but still be able to install it go for it. I'm thinking like putting 2 holes in the head...like gas caps on boats to be able to torque it in.
then it requires a special wrench that nobody has.

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Probably u can look for a used oem spoiler on ebay.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Usually used spoilers are few and far between and still go for a couple hundred dollars on ebay (Ive looked). Thats why we have two groups looking to make these right now.

There are a lot of pieces to try to nail down which is why the fab on these takes some time. You have to deal with the pieces seating correctly on the rams and have a very small tolerance on pin location and size.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 PM
sshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant future
Just ideas...I figured machining out a hex would be a PITA.

The tool to tighten the holes (if it's the same distance / size as most marine caps) is like 3 bucks. About the cost of the hex if not a lil cheaper.

Another option would have been to make the head a lil thicker and slightly flatten 2 opposite sides for a large monkey wrench.

Academic discussion...I like options.

But if you've nailed down the hex, I'm good with that too.

As too the idea of getting them off another spoiler off ebay/CL/etc, no one sells their spoilers with them (not cheap at least). The issue is most guys switch out the stock spoiler to a aftermarket repro which does not include the bolt so they remove the bolts from the OEM wing to install in the new repro wing. Some of us have multiple wings (I've picked up OEM wings dirt cheap without the bolts). Taking the bolts in / out can strip out or weaken the bond of the threaded nut portion embedded in the wing. It's best left alone once you have the bolt installed.

Last edited by sshrum; 01-29-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM
The one Ive been working with BMR on has the hex nailed down, we are just working on making sure it seats flush with the pin and notched bottom so that there is adequate (but not too much) pressure when the spring lock comes into play.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by sshrum
Just ideas...I figured machining out a hex would be a PITA. The tool to tighten the holes (if it's the same distance / size as most marine caps) is like 3 bucks. About the cost of the hex if not a lil cheaper. Another option would have been to make the head a lil thicker and slightly flatten 2 opposite sides for a large monkey wrench. Academic discussion...I like options. But if you've nailed down the hex, I'm good with that too. As too the idea of getting them off another spoiler off ebay/CL/etc, no one sells their spoilers with them (not cheap at least). The issue is most guys switch out the stock spoiler to a aftermarket repro which does not include the bolt so they remove the bolts from the OEM wing to install in the new repro wing. Some of us have multiple wings (I've picked up OEM wings dirt cheap without the bolts). Taking the bolts in / out can strip out or weaken the bond of the threaded nut portion embedded in the wing. It's best left alone once you have the bolt installed.
all true. I like the flattened sides idea for a crescent wrench. But it wouldn't look as nice as a round shoulder on the flange nut.

djcooper@rennkit.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Rear Wing Nut / mounting hardware