996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom airfilter box vs fenderwell airfilters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
Custom airfilter box vs fenderwell airfilters

Hi guys,

Planning to go MAFless and upgrade my turbo intake piping.
To go with my (almost) 700hp plans.
Trying to decide between:

A)
Custom fiberglass airfilter box
Stock location
Cold air feed from GT2 wing (same as the standard box)
Two high flow dual cone filter
3 inch piping from each end of the
So really much like the nice 997 options available
Have made an early prototype and looks like I could make that work.

Downside is that I have to cut +3 inch holes next to the existing intercooler -> y-pipe hose. To allow the piping to run directly from airfilter box out next to intercooler duct.

B)
Filters in the fenderwells
Will place them next to intercooler ducts WITHOUT cutting ducts.
For me it is not an option to cut ducts. I know many high hp guys do this but I dont like that route.
I am looking for a nice air inlet setup that doesnt sacrifice airflow through intercoolers. Must be possible.

I like the short piping involved in this setup.
Downside is that it is hard to find a good solution for cold air feed..
Thinking about making a fiberglass airbox to fit behind IC duct.
But not sure where/how to pick up cold air flow..
Maybe put a duct/intake down low rear corner.
Has anyone experimentet with that?

Not paying $1000+ and dropping/lowering motor to install any of the available pipe kits.
Would rather have some fun in the garage making my own setup

Last edited by krikra; 01-20-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: x
Old 01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
one of the main goals to running mafless is it allows for a 3" y pipe setup to be run from the i/c to the t/b. having this won't allow much in the way of a stock style airbag to fit.

this leaves fender wells. the issue there is the tight space between the turbo and the fender well. the piping being 2.5" tends to rub on the wheels as the suspension moves up and down. also its a major pia to get to the filters to clean them.

so the last option is filters off the turbos. mount a filter. then design a shield that covers the filter on the tire side possibly add some old school louvers on the tire side to allow air in but deflect any water. shortest route most air possible

Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Steve is right. Getting a 3" even flowing ypipe in is a big benifit of doing it all properly

If you want to stay with an airfilter in the rear, then I would go the full 997 route. Use a 997 air box, 3" piping, with holes in the side like Emre's cars down to the airfilter. But, you would also have to go with a ypipe like the 997 and tweak the AC lines.

Your best bet is either filter on the turbo or fender intakes. clean them everytime you do the plugs.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:08 PM
dkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond repute
What turbos / boost / fuel are you going to be running? That may not be the weak link in your setup.

I run a 2.5 fender intake which was a pain to build and design, but I drive my car and possibly could get stuck in the rain. I had a friend lock an engine up from water from filters on turbos... Just depends on what your goals are.

Originally Posted by krikra
Hi guys,

Planning to go MAFless and upgrade my turbo intake piping.
To go with my (almost) 700hp plans.
Trying to decide between:

A)
Custom fiberglass airfilter box
Stock location
Cold air feed from GT2 wing (same as the standard box)
Two high flow dual cone filter
3 inch piping from each end of the
So really much like the nice 997 options available
Have made an early prototype and looks like I could make that work.

Downside is that I have to cut +3 inch holes next to the existing intercooler -> y-pipe hose. To allow the piping to run directly from airfilter box out next to intercooler duct.

B)
Filters in the fenderwells
Will place them next to intercooler ducts WITHOUT cutting ducts.
For me it is not an option to cut ducts. I know many high hp guys do this but I dont like that route.
I am looking for a nice air inlet setup that doesnt sacrifice airflow through intercoolers. Must be possible.

I like the short piping involved in this setup.
Downside is that it is hard to find a good solution for cold air feed..
Thinking about making a fiberglass airbox to fit behind IC duct.
But not sure where/how to pick up cold air flow..
Maybe put a duct/intake down low rear corner.
Has anyone experimentet with that?

Not paying $1000+ and dropping/lowering motor to install any of the available pipe kits.
Would rather have some fun in the garage making my own setup

Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
Good point on the 3 inch y-pipe.
I believe it isnt needed for my current hp goal but I will try and see if I can design the airfilter box so it allows 3 inch y-pipe. For future plans :-)
Should be possible.
Will look into that first and if it turns out to be too tight, I will hvae to look at a fender setup.

Last edited by krikra; 01-21-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: d
Old 01-21-2016, 09:50 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
so the last option is filters off the turbos. mount a filter. then design a shield that covers the filter on the tire side possibly add some old school louvers on the tire side to allow air in but deflect any water. shortest route most air possible
Do we have any photos of this setup?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:30 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I had/still have some 3" fender intakes that I made that didn't rub, I do run 12mm spacers though and I did have to fabricate some on the pass. side intake. I removed them so I could run the top IC ducting again. With 2.5" pipe and smaller filters...I could have still run the top IC ducting but just got lazy and didn't want to do it all over. I now run the filters directly off the turbo method with some pre-filters to help keep water out.

I'd like to see your air box design though!!!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LQQK
If you want to stay with an airfilter in the rear, then I would go the full 997 route. Use a 997 air box, 3" piping... ... But, you would also have to go with a ypipe like the 997 and tweak the AC lines.
I'd go this route. Cold air intake is not an issue and the install is clean and OEM-like. The biggest PITA is the fuel cooler - but this is def not more work than a custom fender well setup. There are a couple of threads on using the 997 airbox in a 996.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 PM
dkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond reputedkfx has a reputation beyond repute
old pic / old setup but you get the jist...

intercooler bracket was modified slightly for more clearance.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
you can convert to a 997tt airbox, and y pipe style. you need to move some things around and change some things but its been done before.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
I had/still have some 3" fender intakes that I made that didn't rub, I do run 12mm spacers though and I did have to fabricate some on the pass. side intake. I removed them so I could run the top IC ducting again. With 2.5" pipe and smaller filters...I could have still run the top IC ducting but just got lazy and didn't want to do it all over. I now run the filters directly off the turbo method with some pre-filters to help keep water out.

Do you have any pix of your filter off turbo setup, homie?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevemfr
I'd go this route. Cold air intake is not an issue and the install is clean and OEM-like. The biggest PITA is the fuel cooler - but this is def not more work than a custom fender well setup. There are a couple of threads on using the 997 airbox in a 996.
Just use 997's fuel cooler and ta-daa, problem solved. BTDT.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Finally have time to work on the 996tt again.
Havent been able to find posts about 997tt airfilter box in 996tt, would like to know more about that solution.
Fx can the turbo inlet piping also be used from 997tt..?

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM
gclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond repute
Just asking, can this be done on the 996 without weakening the body? I mean routing the intake tubes...

Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Played around with the prototype airbox and decided it was taking up too much space to allow for a decent y-pipe.
This prototype was designed around a set of BMC dual cone filters, and would allow plenty of cold air flow.

I have paused the project for now and went with the classic fenderwell filters instead.

I have now recieved a 3" y-pipe and with that lying around in garage I can better try and design the airbox to allow room for y-pipe.
So at some point, when time allows, I will probably continue this little project.

Attached Images