996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Drop with MaxJax and Floor Jack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 AM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Steve, that cradle is just about the best one I've seen! Great job. Useful for probably even a table, as pics of the pro shops doing this with the table are using blocks of wood in the positions you have your risers at.

I'm leaning towards the table at the moment. But I've also got my crazy mind on using the motorcycle jack as a base for a reclining mechanics seat...

Just for kicks, I found this craziness:

Old 01-26-2016, 04:10 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
nice,- sooner or later i want that

Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
the thing to remember is that the bottom of the motor isn't flat. using the h/f table gives you a huge amount of room to set a block or 2 in place and the ability to start the motor to the table itself so theres uno chance of the motor tipping over or that huge mess of wood in that picture sliding out. it raises high enough (36" i think) so that a simple 2x4 is all thats needed . its really the safest way to remove the engine and trans

Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Thanks

The motorcycle jack takes up less space when not needed.

My other considerations were that I the handle on the table would be in the way. I thought the handle would hit the rear chassis/heat shield when trying to push it under the car (since I was using jack stands).

Later, Steve

Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
Thanks

The motorcycle jack takes up less space when not needed.

My other considerations were that I the handle on the table would be in the way. I thought the handle would hit the rear chassis/heat shield when trying to push it under the car (since I was using jack stands).

Later, Steve
its ok to make the wife park outside so theres more room for tools! the handle isn't any issue the table is 32" long. lots of room for the driveline. theres also an additional 2.5" space from the edge of the table and the handle itself. this allows for the table to fully be under the car and not have the handle hit anything

Old 01-26-2016, 08:04 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Digging deeper looking at specs, some not so "lite" considerations.

Table con:
Wow, these tables are ~150 lbs themselves. I might need a hydraulic table to unload the hydraulic table from my SUV.

Motorcycle Jack pro:
Handles come off and they are ~5" flat to store. I like that!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
I wound up picking up the table. Sturdy son#%!b*tch. I've yet to put enough time in the garage to drop the motor yet, but very soon.

I came across another option which seems really promising. I likely would have done it this way had I found it earlier:

Name:  jackadapter.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  115.9 KB
Name:  jackadapter2.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  151.7 KB

Great engine drop thread with detailed info here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lt-mods-3.html

Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pteck
I wound up picking up the table. Sturdy son#%!b*tch. I've yet to put enough time in the garage to drop the motor yet, but very soon. I came across another option which seems really promising. I likely would have done it this way had I found it earlier: Great engine drop thread with detailed info here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lt-mods-3.html
Did my first engine drop that way. Works but hard to maneuver around. Motor is fairly unstable unlike being on the table

Old 02-04-2016, 07:15 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I made this form and used the motorcycle lift.

Here's a picture of when I pulled the engine/transaxle from the car. he nice thing is you can completely remove the jack handle, so it's not in the way.

[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6speedonline.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-img_2864_127b11e34856c2f5efe059617dc11bbd96dd459c. jpg[/IG]

[IMG]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6speedonline.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-img_2863_95bca9d146c07005efe7f5316616016b77e1bb3e. jpg[/IG]

Here's a picture with the lift in the up position, so I could work on the engine.

[IMG]https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6speedonline.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-img_3010_ffaff6e4343ed698320471e49610698bac6d87ad. jpg[/MG]
I'm interested in this. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of the platform you made? Also, what motorcycle jack did you go with?

Thanks!
Rich

Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm not even an at the drop part of the procedure and the table is already coming in handy in many ways.

- Stable, adjustable height platform for me to step onto while the car is on the lift. I could just as easily bring the car down, but I'm primarily working underneath right now and it's easy to just step up onto the table to reach the engine bay.
- Bringing my oil catch or coolant catch to just the right height under the car, rather than lift specific catch containers.

HF surprised me this time. This table is incredibly well build and looks like it'll last.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BauerR
I'm interested in this. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of the platform you made? Also, what motorcycle jack did you go with?

Thanks!
Rich
I'll try to get you some measurements.

I purchased the lift from HF.

Later, Steve

Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Read some of the product reviews on that HF table. As I recall there were some weak points that were addressed by folks to make it even better. Really cool to see that HF doesn't seem to muck with stuff posted on their site, last I looked anyway!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Byron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to beholdByron in Atlanta is a splendid one to behold
Steve....can you please tell us which types of wood you used? Any hardwoods?

Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Just trying to help.

You work with whatever is laying around the house.

Later, Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Drop with MaxJax and Floor Jack?