996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tiptronic Vs Manual + Mods question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Tiptronic Vs Manual + Mods question.

Heya guys, here's a question, i'm planning on purchasing a 02/03 turbo and puting Stage 4 on top of it. My main concern is that most of my life i drove benzes ala automatic transmision, i mean i know how to drive manuals i drove them alot too.

My question is, should i aim for a manual or tiptronic should be just as fast and fun? What the differences would it make in 1/4 and 0-60 times?

P.s Had 05 E55 loved the thing but me and my wife we just had a baby so i traded it in for an ML and now researching on what to get for myself im a HP maniac and always wanted to have a porsche!

P.s.s. When is 997tt will be realesed so i get a better price for 996tt?

Thanks, VLad.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Manual has more fun, I've drove a tip TT, it was fast but it just don't have that sporty and full control feeling espeically you're going to putting stage 4.

If you're looking for a TT in Toronto, my friend is trying to sell his black TT. PM me if you interest!

Old 12-13-2005, 08:48 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
As an owner of a stage 2 tip I can tell you that it is still plenty of fun. Yes, rowing gears in a manual is great fun. Having six gears to split the power over is nice also. However, some have had issues with clutches, gears etc. Not to say the 6 speed is not durable but I have heard of NO issues with the autos. There may be some but I have not heard of it. Auto is quick and easy to drive quick. It is not impossible but bvery difficult for an average owner in a 6 speed to run 0-60 or 1/4 mile as quick as the auto. Once you mod the car I think the power suits the auto gear ratios very well. I can hold second gear to around 95 or so and third gear to 125 or so. This makes for some quick romps. I will say that so far no tuner has encouraged me to tune past 520 on the auto. If you must have stage 4 around 600 hp or so then auto might struggle to survive. However sharky and craig have tips and are running MUCH mor than this. Drive a chipped auto before you decide. 6 speed is fun but not the only way to haul ***. Come south and drive mine!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 PM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
I say Stick, I have nothing against Tip, but IMO Stick is more fun

Old 12-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
stick is fun... but tougher to launch at the track(1/4).
just my opinion.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-14-2005, 01:32 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by silver
As an owner of a stage 2 tip I can tell you that it is still plenty of fun. Yes, rowing gears in a manual is great fun. Having six gears to split the power over is nice also. However, some have had issues with clutches, gears etc. Not to say the 6 speed is not durable but I have heard of NO issues with the autos. There may be some but I have not heard of it. Auto is quick and easy to drive quick. It is not impossible but bvery difficult for an average owner in a 6 speed to run 0-60 or 1/4 mile as quick as the auto. Once you mod the car I think the power suits the auto gear ratios very well. I can hold second gear to around 95 or so and third gear to 125 or so. This makes for some quick romps. I will say that so far no tuner has encouraged me to tune past 520 on the auto. If you must have stage 4 around 600 hp or so then auto might struggle to survive. However sharky and craig have tips and are running MUCH mor than this. Drive a chipped auto before you decide. 6 speed is fun but not the only way to haul ***. Come south and drive mine!

Not an issue with Sharky's car is it?LOL
10.6 1/4 mile

Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
For me, there is nothing more visceral than slamming through the gears in my TT.