996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Stage 2 car just went 11.65 @ 126 mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Divexxtreme
Thanks Martin.

The car had 16,500 miles on it when I bought it. As far as mods...I'm considering quite a few...but I still haven't decided on exactly which ones just yet.
How many miles do you have now and how many of those miles have you been chipped?

Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I'd LOVE to run a new Z06.

Question for the experts out there...what's an educated guess on the awhp I'm making with a trap speed like that? Has to be somewhere in the 440 awhp range, correct?
I would say closer to 450-460awhp with 100 octane gas; maybe higher. The reason why I say that is because the stock C6 Z06 has ~440rwhp bone stock. Remember, the C6 Z06 traps 125-126mph and weighs about 300lbs less than the '01 996TT. You would have to put out more whp than that C6 Z06 just to equal the speed of the 'vette.

Then again, that's just a guess.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Ruiner
How many miles do you have now and how many of those miles have you been chipped?
The car has 17.6k miles now. The previous owner chipped it and installed exhaust at 11k miles. I had the software updated (and GIAC flashloader installed as well) by Stephen at IA at 15.7k and installed the EVO intake immediately after that.

Other than that I've changed all the fluids (engine, diffs and tranny) and the spark plugs and that's it.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-13-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
1.1 bar. I haven't been higher than that since I've owned the car.
I also have the stage II, stock intake with fabspeed sport exhaust and I hadn't seen anything higher than 1.1 bar but last week on an entrance ramp to US 60 here in Phoenix I hit 1.3 bar. It was early evening at 64 degrees. I have never done the 1/4 mile with this car but it feels fast. 2002 996TT with 28k miles and 91 octane for anyone curious

Last edited by Under PSI; 12-12-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !

Well, MARSKI, there is your answer. It looks as if Alex's claimed time given his mods wasn't so off after all. This guy just trapped 126mph on K16 turbos. Wow!
yes i agree, but he has a 100 race program, the v- flow air box, and 55 degrees temps. i think those are favorable odds. BTW- its was not the ABSOLUTE CHIP either...
in any event, thats good to see.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MARKSKI
yes i agree, but he has a 100 race program, the v- flow air box, and 55 degrees temps. i think those are favorable odds. BTW- its was not the ABSOLUTE CHIP either...
in any event, thats good to see.
Well, the "race" program was the 1.1 bar hammer program that is run on pump gas as well. The only benefit that 100 octane will give you over 93 is a bit better reduction on knock as the ECU strives for 1.1 bar on both 93 and 100 octane. Timing *might* be pulled with 93 octane, but then again it might not be. With 100 octane it is probably advanced a small bit (the ECU learns somewhat). The Upsolute program also runs a 1.1 bar program and will learn to slightly advance the timing with a higher octane fuel. I have a feeling that with the same fuel octane rating and mods, they are comparable.

Last edited by Ruiner; 12-12-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I agree. but he has the 100 octane program- and I believe that the v-flow in 55 temps really helped him.
I never ran under 70 degrees- and I have stock air box.
a lesson to be learned- that $$$ spent on a TT do not translate into faster times(1/4).
i ran 11.5 at 123.7 on k24s, ecu on pump gas, and 100 cats.
I also realized that k-24s are great on the highway... I hardly got full boost until 4rth gear. (1.2)
one more thing- track does matter. I went to 3 different tracks... and each one gave me different results- the best one was the pro race track in joliet lllinois, but they kicked me off cause on the 1st run cause it was under 12 seconds and I didnt have a cage. So If I would do a few runs- Im sure i would get better times.

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 12-12-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
MARKSKI - I agree with you. Let me also say this: the k24s are great turbos, but really shine up top. Given their spool times and our low(er) redline, they might not be the best turbos for 1/4 mile runs, even with a new, 7200rpm limit. The problem is that they can't reach their full potential on the low-end; a place where the k16s shine. The low-end launches (especially 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd gear) are very important in the 1/4 mile as you know. That is what gets you out of the hole. Area under the curve is important. The k16s shine and spool fully with a lot of usable rpms while the k24s barely spooled (if not still spooling) before you have to shift. That's just my opinion, however. Now, if you could raise the red line to 8000rpm+, the k24s would really shine in the 1/4...just a guess, though.

Last edited by Ruiner; 12-12-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
I also realized that one has to spend crazy money to even get into 10s.... and I dont think that even any gt750 would do it regulary... very low 11s... yes- but thats it. the MPH would be strong... but the ET not.
the difference between a stage 2 set up and a gt 750 is ... hmmm $28K.
I SORT OF GAVE UP AND BUILT AN EVO 8 from scratch... full blown build out(outside stock, sleeper)... and I do mid tens regularly... i wish my tt was as fast at the 1/4 track...

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 12-12-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Outstanding run . . . congratulations Scott!!!

Craig

Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I can host files under 25 megs. Just send me an email landcruiser@dslextreme.com

Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The K24's seem to do perfectly fine on the dragstrip on the stock cars. Thus, there's no reason they shouldn't do well on a modded car.

The amount of lag they add is miniscule at best. Even my Supra....with it's horrendous lag until 5.5k rpm...still runs *fantastic* trap speeds even without NOS (over 135 mph)...and the lag from the X50's aren't comparable to that at all. Laggy turbos can really effect E.T.....but not really trap speed.

Look at the stock X50 vs stock TT....a stock X50 trapped 119.9 and the best stock TT's trap 116-117. That a 3-4 mph difference...which is right on par with the 30 HP increase the X50 package adds to the car (roughly 1 mph of trap for every increase in 10 HP). Seems like the K24's are doing pretty well on a 1/4 mile track in this case.

Heck...other stock Turbo S's and GT2's all run traps that their HP says they should as well. None are slower unless driven poorly. The K24's don't seem to slow them down on a 1/4 mile track either.

It seems the lag discussion comes into play only when people with modded cars that are running K-24's or larger don't trap like they hoped they would. But that could be due to many other variables.

My point is that I really think the lag from larger turbos (which really aren't very large at all) and their effect on 1/4 mile trap is *greatly* exaggerated on this forum. You never hear about large, laggy turbos being the sole reason for low trap speeds on Supra forums. That's because those guys know they don't cause low trap speeds (but they will effect E.T.). Either the car is making power, or it isn't.

One thing I do want to add...laggy turbos can affect manuals much more than autos, since autos stay under boost between shifts better. But comparing a small turbo to a larger, laggy one on a car with the same tranny....it really won't matter much at the end of the quarter mile except the larger turbo'd car *should and almost always is* hitting a faster trap. The 3,500lb Supras with huge, single GT-47 turbos (88mm) trapping 160 mph+ illustrate this point perfectly.

Basically...the larger the turbo, the more lag...but a faster trap speed *and* faster pull from a roll. It's almost perfectly relative in all cases.

I'd like to add that the guy I raced with the stock X50 package car a few weeks ago has since added an EVO chip. So we'll run from a roll on the highway again soon, both on 93 octane. I'll video it again as well.

MARKSKI - I agree with you. Let me also say this: the k24s are great turbos, but really shine up top. Given their spool times and our low(er) redline, they might not be the best turbos for 1/4 mile runs, even with a new, 7200rpm limit. The problem is that they can't reach their full potential on the low-end; a place where the k16s shine. The low-end launches (especially 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd gear) are very important in the 1/4 mile as you know. That is what gets you out of the hole. Area under the curve is important. The k16s shine and spool fully with a lot of usable rpms while the k24s barely spooled (if not still spooling) before you have to shift. That's just my opinion, however. Now, if you could raise the red line to 8000rpm+, the k24s would really shine in the 1/4...just a guess, though.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-13-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Craig
Outstanding run . . . congratulations Scott!!!

Craig
Thanks Craig.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:38 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Nice Et! I love it when a k16 shows this kind of response. These things are mega punchy down low. This is a great time and you should be proud. Not too many things can crack 12 on the street. Enjoy.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Divexxtreme,

Very impressive ET and Trap time.

I guess the 6 speed MT has the upper hand over the tiptronic when it comes to launching from the start.
I have an EVO/IA stage 4 on my tiptronic 996TT. The best times at the drag until today has been a 11.547 at 126mph. Tips cannot raise the rpm more than 2000-2200rpm. They tend to move forward.

Again, a very good time. I believe that if you get a clean launch at 4000rpm, you might very well get an even faster time.

Good luck and be safe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Stage 2 car just went 11.65 @ 126 mph